Largest TRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaLa

I was wondering.
What is the biggest TRS out there?

Single Site
or for Networked Systems, the biggest single site.
My County here has 20 Freqs, that gives it 19 VCs.

The Harris County (Tx) System has 28 Freqs for the Downtown Site.
27 VCs.

Is there a limit to the number of repeaters on a single site in either an EDACS, MOT or P25 System?

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Yes, there are limits.
Smartnet is 28, I don't recall P25 and EDACS. (They are close to the same).
It all has to do with the loading of the outbound control channel to successfully allocate channels within a prescribed amount of time.

BaLa

That makes sense..
I saw a couple more with 27/28.

I guess since it is 'only' 28. There are a few that meet that.
A lot of the very large systems are multi site anyways.

BaLa

I guess...But if smartnet is limited to 28, then I found a few that have that many freqs.

As far as the largest TRS it would likely be one of the statewide ones that are popping up.

N

N_Jay

I guess...But if smartnet is limited to 28, then I found a few that have that many freqs.

As far as the largest TRS it would likely be one of the statewide ones that are popping up.

All depends how you define "largest"?

Most area?
Most sites?
Most channels?
Most subscribers?

qlajlu

Silent Key
As far as largest TRS statewide, the UCAN (Utah Communications Agency Network - Sys ID 7202) has 43 active sites throughout the State of Utah with others in the planning and/or construction stages. Several of those sites are simulcast, but I'm not sure which is the largest of those sites. I do know that they do NOT approach the limit of 28 transmitters per site as mentioned above.

UCAN is a Motorola 800 MHz Type II Smart Zone and primarily analog. There are only a handful of P25 TGs on the system.

There could very easily be other states with a larger TRS, but I'm not aware of which they might be.

Again, BaLa, it comes down to your definition of "largest TRS" and whether or not it is limited to just public safety.

BaLa

I didn't think about it too much when I posted it.

Initially I was thinking transmitters (on a single site) but that is limited to 28 (On the MOT System according to N_Jay) a few of the ones I looked at met that.

I guess when you have large systems like that, you solve that with multiple sites.
I saw some larger cities with separate system for city services also.

There are also number of states now with statewide systems with (of course) multiple sites.

I guess I was just posting a newb question :p

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
i know there are many systems in the US that have alot more users and TG's, but for area covered i would say that MTS Fleetnet (Type II SZ Omilink 171 sites), Sask Tel Fleetnet (EDACS Networked Standard 199 sites) or Bell Mobility Radio Fleetnet (Type II SZ 154 sites) cover larger areas in Manatoba, Saskachwen and Ontario respectively. And in a few years add the AFRRCS 700Mhz system that has just closed bidding in Alberta. Or maybe the Alaska state wide system. most states are smaller than Canadas provinces. save for the small provinces on the east coast so land area i would have to say one of the above mentioned systems

Last edited:

hfxChris

Database Admin
The provincial trunked system in Nova Scotia, Canada is a 69 site Motorola type II SmartZone Omnilink system, with 3 additional sites being discussed right now, which would bring us to 72 sites.

N

N_Jay

Don't forget some of the nationwide trunked systems around the world, including TETRA.

Actually, this kind of discussion becomes meaningless as more systems are linked together in various manners.

If I put in a statewide system made up of two regions links, is that "one system" or "two systems"?
If I but in the exact same system with two separated redundant controllers, but during normal operation, they all use one, then what is it?
What if the above is two counties?
The line between what a system is and is-not get very fuzzy with all the options available to link and share resources.

hfxChris

Database Admin
If it provides seamless roaming between the two (or more) zones, I would think it should be treated as a single system for the sake of the discussion...

N

N_Jay

If it provides seamless roaming between the two (or more) zones, I would think it should be treated as a single system for the sake of the discussion...

Some might agree, but others might argue.

What is seamless roaming is possible but not allowed?

What if the two areas were on different frequency bands but sharing the same controller?

What if those areas overlapped? What is they did not?

ILMRadioMan

NJ poses a good question.

In the Motorola world, Omnilink creates quite the gray area. There are literally multiple system IDs. These systems can operate independently from each other, or together.

There are very similar situations in other setups outside of motorola.

If we follow the OP's titled intent, then this doesnt even take into account tying in conventional repeater systems.

Heck, I know of at least 2 cases where a motorola trunking system is tied into a non-motorola LTR trunking system.

So what then?

Status
Not open for further replies.