LASD E-Trigs, E-MDT and Code 6 Activations

Status
Not open for further replies.

finaldraft151

Premium Subscriber
Greetings!!

- Just thought I'd pass this on to any folks who enjoy monitoring LASD's frequencies;

I was chatting with a few folks who were wondering just what in the heck it means when they hear a LASD Dispatcher ask status on a units "E-Trig" or "E-MDT" activation. I know there is info buried in a thread here somewhere so I apologize in advance if I am just repeating it here, but here is some info that might not have been posted before regarding them and the difference between the two.

E-Trig and E-MDT is SCC's brevity approach to "Emergency Trigger" and "Emergency MDT" activations - (I had a good chuckle when someone asked if it was an indication/warning that a Deputy had put his hand or finger too close to the "trigger" on his/her duty weapon, but hey, it's a plausible explanation)

An E-Trig is simply a button on the portable radio (Check out a pic of a Motorola XTS-5000 for the newest breed in use) - It's the orange button on top of the radio on the bottom right directly below the rubber duck - When the button is pressed and held for longer than 1.5 - 2 seconds (time can vary, depending on location and radio programming) it automatically switches the radio to the "E-Trig" channel (483.28750) while simultaneously sending a message to SCC on both the E-Trigs home dispatch channel and Emergency trigger channel. An E-Trig activation on a radio that is not logged on or one that isn’t assigned to a specific station will come up on the SCC Access Channel.

- It sends a message and alert tone to the dispatcher holding the units home channel as well as sending an alert and message over the E-Trig channel - Good concept with a horrible flaw; The dispatcher holding the units home channel will probably NEVER be holding the E-Trig channel at the same time, (as the E-Trig channel is usually unassigned and "floating" until there is an activation) so if it is a righteous emergency, the Deputy in the field is now (briefly) out of communication with his home channel as his radio is now on the E-Trig Channel...

So say a Lakewood unit working the city of Bellflower hits their E-Trig - The dispatcher working Lakewood will get a message on their screen notifying SCC of the activation as well as the last location or status of the unit. Something similar to this: "E-Trig 133B - Traffic Stop - Bellflower Blvd/Alondra Blvd - 2018 Hours" -

MEANWHILE, since the E-Trig is a legitimate channel it usually lands on another dispatchers console on the other side of the room with the same info. It is then up to the 2 dispatchers to ascertain the units status. The two dispatchers will then immediately go out and ask for status on the E-Trig - The dispatcher with the E-Trig channel can pick up the units home channel from the other dispatcher and "buy" the emergency and get status and advise, or vise versa, it all depends on current workload and conditions. A dispatcher can also “monitor” any channel from their console as well (just like a scanner) to get status and he/she will then voice the outcome/conditions over the channels they are currently working.

The radio will continue to send an alert and message to SCC until it is shut off and reset. You might hear a dispatcher say something along the lines of "133B is code 4, accidental activation, go ahead and turn your radio off and back on to reset" - Once the Deputy does this the radio will automatically return to the home dispatch channel (or last channel it was on before E-Trig was activated) and the E-Trig signal and messages will cease being transmitted.

It's a good concept, but flawed since it automatically switches the radio away from the units home channel at a time when they would need it the most. Although E-Trigs are a common and daily occurrence, after asking around there was nobody that could recall a true legitimate activation over the last 10 years. The vast majority of E-Trigs are “accidental activations” from folks working custody; They may accidentally set it off in the jail, and with poor radio reception they never hear SCC asking status, so they never know it's been activated. There are also "ghost" radios floating around that send in the occasional activation, but for the most part, they have always been (fortunately) accidental. There was talk about doing away with the E-Trig capability for awhile and freeing up the channel for other uses but it was decided that it is still a good tool and resource to have handy in the event of officer safety.

E-MDT or "Emergency MDT" Activations: - Every MDT has a red "Emergency" Button on it - When pressed it operates almost the same as an E-Trig except it does not switch a units radio to the Emergency channel when pressed. The dispatcher working the channel will receive the same type of alert tone and message and follow the same protocol and go out and ask status - These are more common place as the button is in close proximity to the rest of the frequently used buttons on an MDT and is more prone to getting accidentally pushed - For awhile SCC was dealing with an unusual amount of "phantom" MDT activations (it going off with nobody in the car) and it was discovered that the fluke was a combination of microwave interference on the data channels as well as the heat in the summer being a contributing factor. There was also talk of disabling the E-MDT function as well, but it too boiled down to officer safety, so both the E-Trig and E-MDT capabilities will remain in use as it was agreed that it serves a purpose and may very well be the one thing that gets help to a unit in need of assistance.

If you monitor the E-Trig channel you will often hear radio traffic and calls being put out to various stations as it is a channel that can be held with other channels, but usually it is in limbo and floating until someone hits their E-Trig button. In the event no unit ID or callsign is associated with a particular radio # and E-Trig the dispatcher will execute a quick inventory query on the radio # to find out where it is “assigned” and then call the appropriate division for status. (This is most common with custody radios because as previously mentioned, there is usually poor/no radio reception inside the jails)

Code 6 "activation" - Here is the scoop on the “Code 6 Activation” or “key” … Some folks also wanted to know a little more about that since there are several verbal formats and variations often heard to get a units status on a Code 6 activation;

The Code 6 Key is located on the MDT - When pressed the dispatcher working the channel will get a generic message like this: “CODE 6 - 173D - 1964 HOURS” - and the dispatcher will then ask status and create an “OBS” (which comprises of the units location, a radio code that corresponds with the incident and any other pertinent info; Most commonly used on a traffic stop when the Deputy doesn’t have time to input it himself) - Once SCC types in the info, adds any plate or other pertinent info and “enters” it into the CAD system, there is then a “tag” or incident number generated and assigned to it and the unit’s sister cars who are monitoring will get an MDT message advising them of the units location and what they are “code 6” on. Once a dispatcher creates and OBS for a field unit they must hold the channel and cannot release it until the unit goes code 4. If they have to drop the channel, they must hand it off to another dispatcher and he/she will hold the channel until a Code 4 is advised.

A unit can also have SCC create an OBS for him/her by simply keying their mic and saying "Show Me" Code 6 on a traffic stop at here/there. As well as Code 6, SCC can show a unit acknowledged on a call, show them En route, 10-97, 10-98, 10-10 and 10-15. (basically everything the MDT can do) This is fairly common for units without MDT's to have SCC update their status (Motors, footbeat, or when a Deputy is having data channel reception issues and cannot update their status) or if a Deputy is simply out of the car and receives a new call and wants his/her station or "desk" to know they copied the new call and are "acknowledging" or showing themselves as "acked" -

A common thing to hear (especially on a busy night) is SCC requesting a unit to "Code 1 Mary" RE Tag 123, etc ... That is when the station level dispatcher sends a message via CAD to SCC to voice the request because the unit has yet to acknowledge a call or message.

I hope this was helpful and answers a lot of questions. I can remember being so intrigued by the sometimes "bizarre" and cryptic sounding requests and radio traffic I would hear when I got my first scanner way back in the day and started monitoring LASD. This of course being before the internet and having instant access to info and specific agency protocol and procedures. I would badger the local school Deputy with a list of questions regarding radio codes and procedures and he would politely answer all of my questions and clear up any confusion or misconceptions I (usually lol) had. Although I am sure we probably drove him nuts with all of our technical questions he was always more than happy to give us his time and info.

-73's

-E Patton - KE6JLL

ChrisW6YBW

Additional on LASD E-TRIG

Good explanation Eric! Thanks for sharing. While it may seem odd to put the deputy onto a separate radio channel at a time when they need help (if), it actually does make some sense as the deputy then has a clear channel between them and SCC without having to worry about 2 million other units transmitting over him to advise of their ETA’s and offer superfluous information (as is often the case) and completely cover the unit needing help and preventing SCC for ascertaining the exact location and circs. If the ETRIG activation is legit, one dispatcher will take both channels and can coordinate responding units in a controlled manner you explained.

jrholm

And in 20+ years, I have yet to push the dang thing...........................on purpose.

shawn1899

I have used it once while in a fight... exactly what jrholm said happened.. I put out the initial in a fight broadcast and all my units were stepping all over me.. so I hit my E-trig and got the sole attention of a dispatcher which also popped up my last location where I was and the other dispatcher coordinated the units as needed. Only time I have ever had to use it..

Starman918

I remember when we were first issued handheld radios. They hadn't installed the MDTs yet, so we couldn't log on. When you walked the hallways of the station you would cover the e-trig with your hand because guys passing by you in the hallway would try to push the e-trig without you knowing it. Since the radios weren't associated with a particular Deputy there would be some tense moments while SCC and the station dispatcher would try to figure out who had that radio. When you heard your handheld radio number on the air, you knew you been had.

PaulNDaOC

I remember when we were first issued handheld radios. They hadn't installed the MDTs yet, so we couldn't log on. When you walked the hallways of the station you would cover the e-trig with your hand because guys passing by you in the hallway would try to push the e-trig without you knowing it. Since the radios weren't associated with a particular Deputy there would be some tense moments while SCC and the station dispatcher would try to figure out who had that radio. When you heard your handheld radio number on the air, you knew you been had.

I remember those days. In the early days of the 480 when somebody hit their trigger somebody on the bridge would have to dig through a big print out to find out what station the radio belonged to, call the WD, then relay to the RTO.

ChrisW6YBW

I remember those days. In the early days of the 480 when somebody hit their trigger somebody on the bridge would have to dig through a big print out to find out what station the radio belonged to, call the WD, then relay to the RTO.

Paul – All deps in custody and patrol and a bunch of other units now have their radios permanently issued/assigned to them (with the requirement that if they lose or break it, they bought it at $3,000+). We can look up the AID number through the department’s intranet and (hopefully) find out who “owns” the radio. Then the fun begins with calling the unit and trying to track them down. Ever more fun when the 8 year kid is playing with daddy’s radio on an RDO and nobody at the station knows how to get a hold of the deputy on an RDO. But still, as you remember, the vast majority are accidental only.

PaulNDaOC

Hey Chris, interesting info, Thanks.

By chance was the thinking deputy personnel will treat the radio better if it is exclusively issued nto them? Just a thought.

I hope they don't get stolen in veh 459's. That would be a dispatcher nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.