Levy County, Fla to go Icom iDAS NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
You know, I knew about that trick but had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

It appears they are conventional.
They are NXDN type d trunking. Does not require an FB8.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I'm still stunned that any public safety agency would pick an NXDN solution for something that important.

I'm something of a veteran NXDN-experienced technician. I would not recommend it for public safety.

Not impressed.

However, I'm not going to say anything about any vendor or specific model that might conceivably be called slanderous or defaming.
Like to know why you're saying NXDN is not the good choice for public safety. I'm a veteran on NXDN and it's operation since it came out in 2004/5 and put it into service for hams. And it's pretty darn good, over Dstar.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Like to know why you're saying NXDN is not the good choice for public safety. I'm a veteran on NXDN and it's operation since it came out in 2004/5 and put it into service for hams. And it's pretty darn good, over Dstar.

Comparing ham radio usage to public safety usage is not a fair comparison.

If you had seen some of the incredibly crappy amateur repeater installations that I've seen in my 30+ years in the hobby you'd agree. And some of those were at commercial or public safety sites!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
My experiences with NXDN were not generally positive. I would not recommend it for ANYTHING. OK, maybe something was wrong with Icom's implementation and maybe it got fixed later, but having a greater than 10 percent transmission dropout rate with a clear line of sight and strong signal conditions is NOT acceptable for ANYTHING and that's what we were getting.

Granted, they may have had a problem that may have been corrected later, but that is what we were experiencing with Icom's first generation NXDN radios.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
My experiences with NXDN were not generally positive. I would not recommend it for ANYTHING. OK, maybe something was wrong with Icom's implementation and maybe it got fixed later, but having a greater than 10 percent transmission dropout rate with a clear line of sight and strong signal conditions is NOT acceptable for ANYTHING and that's what we were getting.

Granted, they may have had a problem that may have been corrected later, but that is what we were experiencing with Icom's first generation NXDN radios.
Sorry about you lumping Icom as the NXDN bad apple.
I use kenwood NXDN type C and conventional, never had any issues.
I am not going into what happened with Levy. There are several of us in North FL who know what happened, this is not the place for it to be talked about, even from me.
I have to leave it be, for now.

I would point you to my project were kenwood and Icom coexist in a conventional world.
NXDNINFO.COM

Cheers.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll add to this.
I've been running a 5 channel NexEdge trunked system for a couple of years now without any issues. We don't use it directly for public safety, although our PD does have access to it and does use it.
It works fine. It sounds fine.
When we first brought up the system in a test environment, it took a week of tinkering around with all the settings to get it to sound the way we wanted. It's not a plug-n-play thing, there some thought that has to go into it.
The issues I've seen is when someone sets it up without understanding how to properly do it. I didn't when I first started, but spending some time actually talking with Kenwood engineers helped a whole lot.
I think what happens fairly often is technicians attempt to set these digital systems up without actually understanding what they are doing.
Unfortunately the manufacturer or the technology gets blamed.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Does Kenwood have some kind of training program or videos that teach the salient points to their dealer installers? If not, they should as that is money well spent to have customers praise their junk instead of cussing it because the techs didn't set it up properly.

Although having set up complex systems myself, the customer bureaucracy can often prevent the tech from completing the project properly. THEN they still turn around and blame the technology or the company anyway.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Does Kenwood have some kind of training program or videos that teach the salient points to their dealer installers? If not, they should as that is money well spent to have customers praise their junk instead of cussing it because the techs didn't set it up properly.

Although having set up complex systems myself, the customer bureaucracy can often prevent the tech from completing the project properly. THEN they still turn around and blame the technology or the company anyway.
OR, two weeks later tell us proficient installers, we(end user) goofed, the Codeplug is wrong, need to re program all radios, forgot to add the dog catcher talk group.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Kenwood does, but getting individual shops to actually send their techs to it is a different thing. I'm not a dealer, but I'm a big enough customer that myself and one of my guys went to Kenwood training on the NexEdge systems. The protocol and equipment are all documented very well in specific "In-depth" manuals that are freely available to authorized Kenwood shops. These manuals cover all the functions and settings quite well. Again, issue is getting time to read all this stuff.

This is true.
I work for a state agency, we invented bureaucracy. I do go to great pains to make sure the bureaucratic BS doesn't splatter on my vendors. I'm much more interested in keeping my vendors happy than I am in keeping the director happy. Believe it or not, it actually works out much better that way. Director might be unhappy in the short term, but in the end if my customers are happy, he's happy.
I also make sure none of my "customers" ever deal directly with the shop. All contact has to go through me, that way I can weed out the nonsense. We do some of our own work, all our own programming and will triage all radio issues before it ever gets to anyone outside the organization. Further efforts to keep the BS splatter to an absolute minimum.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I also make sure none of my "customers" ever deal directly with the shop. All contact has to go through me, that way I can weed out the nonsense.

Can I hire you to be my customer for life???

I have one customer who is the exact opposite: they dump EVERYTHING on the vendor. The clock's not set when the time changed to Daylight Saving? CALL THE VENDOR! Somebody unplugged the power cord to your computer monitor? CALL THE VENDOR!

Otherwise, life is good.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Can I hire you to be my customer for life???

I have one customer who is the exact opposite: they dump EVERYTHING on the vendor. The clock's not set when the time changed to Daylight Saving? CALL THE VENDOR! Somebody unplugged the power cord to your computer monitor? CALL THE VENDOR!

Otherwise, life is good.
Too funny Bote.

EFM

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
If it can decode NXDN, yes.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
Can NXDN be Decoded?
Apart from using an actual Kenwood radio, the following methods are possible;

The Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 with the NXDN upgrade can decode this mode. However, they will not trunk NXDN systems. Program trunked systems as conventional objects. See the How to improve NXDN Scanning Thread and the NXDN Update Now Available Thread
The AOR DV-1 decodes NEXEDGE voice (no trunking, however)
Use either Digital Speech Decoder (software package) or DSDPlus software, along with a scanner which, in many cases, will require a Discriminator Tap. You can also use a SDR with these applications without the need for modifications.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/NEXEDGE#Can_it_be_Decoded.3F

troymail

Silent Key
However, they will not trunk NXDN systems.

This is an inaccurate statement - I see it is shown on the Wiki page exactly the same way. At a minimum, the statement is confusing. The writer may have been trying to say ...'won't track NXDN...' which is different than saying '...programming them as a NXDN trunk system won't work...'.

You should program a NXDN trunk system as a trunk system... and there are advantages to doing so. However, some may find programming the frequencies as conventional could work better (or worse). The downside is you don't get the features of trunk systems - at least not easily.

Program trunked systems as conventional objects.

You can -- but there are downsides to doing this as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.