lightning protection for 2m

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimeNumber

I use these lightning protectors on my HF rigs:
MFJ Enterprises Inc.
There's no appreciable loss at up to 30 MHz, at least none that I can tell. I still unhook when lightning storms come along though –*if I'm at home to do so.

Moving up to 147 MHz things are probably a little more finicky. Does anyone use these suppressors on VHF or UHF? I need to find something to give my 2m rig a chance in this upcoming summer's lightning-fest. Are there any good suppressors that have minimal loss at 147 MHz?

Yes, I realize nothing will protect from a a direct hit, and when in doubt it's best to detach the coax altogether. But I also realize that there will be days when I don't detach the coax and am away from home when a storm comes up, and also there will also be near misses where a surge protector can do some good.

Anyway, any advice on VHF lightning protection much appreciated, thanks for any answers.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

I had cheap lightning arrestor that blew out, apparently from a nearby stroke and EMP. Replaced it with an Alpha-Delta arrestor. It's been several years and many nearby storms and strokes. Still going strong. Cost more than a cheap arrestor, though. System being protected is my GMRS repeater.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
PolyPhaser. I've got these on my VHF and 800MHz systems at work. They work just fine on the higher frequencies if you get the correct models.

I'd recommend staying away from the low end "Amateur Grade" models and putting some extra money into getting higher quality, professional grade units.

Status
Not open for further replies.