Line in Recording/playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddandy23

Any one know how to get the audio playback from a line in cable over the computer speakers? I can't figure the darn thing out. It will record from the line in and play back fine but won't play the audio in real time from scanner to pc speakers

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the line in is unmuted in the mixer in both the regular mixer and the recording mixer. Also make sure that it is actually plugged into the line in jack and not the mic jack.

LordJ

I will go over what my system is set up as. Speaker out on the scanner goes to the line in of the computer. In Volume properties for playback, I have selected use preferred device, and nothing is muted and line in volume level is about 1/2 way. For recording it is the same. What radio are you using?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
WindowsXP, I presume? I can control that function on my PC by clicking on the volume control icon and opening up the mixer panel. Click on Options, then Properties. You can then select settings for recording and playback. Try different settings under both options.

Your computer may be different. I use the Windows XP audio devices, and see the same general layout on several computers.

bonus1331

Don't know what type of PC your attempting this on, but I had the same issue with my Dell Latitude laptop. Seems Dell ships with the registry affecting the supplied OEM soundcard so that you can't listen through the speakers when using line in.
Used the attach instructions to change a couple of things in the registry and I'm now good to go.
(I'm not a tweaker of any kind, so don't be too concerned about screwing anything up).

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread85933.html

MaxMan1986

Some computers just don't have that capability no matter what you do. Unfortunately my laptop is one of those computers. :(

bonus1331

MaxMan1986 said:
Some computers just don't have that capability no matter what you do. Unfortunately my laptop is one of those computers. :(

That's what I thought until I found the above.
Some PC manufacturers just disable these features for some unknown reason.

MaxMan1986

bonus1331 said:
That's what I thought until I found the above.
Some PC manufacturers just disable these features for some unknown reason.

That seems to be true of many Dell laptops, but mine is a Gateway and I've tried pretty much everything to no avail.

baddandy23

bonus1331 said:
Don't know what type of PC your attempting this on, but I had the same issue with my Dell Latitude laptop. Seems Dell ships with the registry affecting the supplied OEM soundcard so that you can't listen through the speakers when using line in.
Used the attach instructions to change a couple of things in the registry and I'm now good to go.
(I'm not a tweaker of any kind, so don't be too concerned about screwing anything up).

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread85933.html

this seems to be along the lines of what i am looking for. anything for a gigabyte motherboard with integrated audio by realtech?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A lot depends on the sound device properties but it can be as simple as enabling .wav in the mixer panel. On board sound usually sucks which is why I use NVIDIA 5 channel surround.

Status
Not open for further replies.