LMRN General Discussion

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Anything been showing up in Zone 2? I run a few servers with SDR's between Renfrew County and Ottawa, I could do scans for them. But not sure where to start.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I seems that these 700 VR's have worse range. In my vehicle, I could pick off a cruiser or EMS unit a good 3-4km away. Now its more like 1 maybe 1.5 km at best.

gary123

I seem to be getting the opposite. But we all have to remember hardware, vehicle, terrain and antennas play a huge roll in what is heard. If we go by theory then the UHF should have about 10-20% better coverage. I will happily go with the general consensus that 700 is not quite as long range. My setup is not the average I have dedicated on band antennas on really good and specifically tuned for each band hardware.

ATCTech

And FWIW, the reception report I posted during the week was from about 8km away, OPP vehicle to my base location discone at about 30' AGL with at least some Niagara Escarpment terrain to 300' AGL in between. It was readable but I wouldn't call it more than "3x4".

mrweather

Yeah, I don't normally have a dedicated antenna for 700 MHz on my car. My mobile radio is a Yaesu FTM-400XDR so whatever else I can receive using the existing 2M/70CM band-specific antenna is a bonus.

I have had better success with my Sinclair SW-2340SB-1 since it's supposed to be tri-band but the smaller size means it suffers a bit on VHF.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I've been using a Browning tri band antenna that has always worked super good on the 7/800 band for trunking systems. But get almost nothing on simplex VR's. Worked great on UHF too so, guess everyone will have different reception due to antennas and blah blah blah.

From a medic buddy, he isn't getting much improvement at all on his new APX radio. Maybe that will all change once it goes P25?

gary123

700 signals coming out of buildings may have some issues as the shorter wavelengths are more 'line of sight' . This is fixable with even a passive antenna arrangement at hospitals but for apartment buildings with all of the rebar etc we may hear about coverage issues.

Anything new is going to have birthing pains. I hope that someone has put into place a coverage log for the crews to report issues such as "when we get to xxxxx the portables stop working". This will let the system infrastructure guys build up a map of areas than need attention.

Guccisock5

Feed Provider
Picked one up yesterday through Toronto on the 403. Bad rx or could have been a little too far.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Just curious on these new OPP VR's added. Anyone hear any action on them at all? VR02/03 and what's this new detachment repeater?
Every detachment has a VR of their own for comm's inside the building? Wonder if EMS would also have the same thing?

gary123

Haven't heard any signals coming out of the detachments I pass. I'll load up the 773 freq and see. I would think that any car DVRS would cover the detachment if they needed it. Not to say they have not done this, but I think one of us would have heard such a set up before now. This might be another BEAT type repeater just located near the detachment.

Maybe the submitter can add some more info and possibly the PL too.

mciupa

I revisited the submission and it stated "will have" a Detachment repeater, not "does have" .
Let's keep that one in our back pocket until it is OTA with tones. I've removed it from the database for now.

If you want to keep an eye on it, watch for 773.04375 MHz

gary123

@mciupa. I spent most of the day today in Tavistock. I have the freq on constant monitor and loaded into my portable. Dead quiet. I like many others will monitor the frequency actively and post updates.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm a very short stones throw from the Middlesex detachment and nothing here yet either. I'll keep checking periodically.

Aviator747

These are the LCN's I get in Cornwall on the tower here. I had a handful pop up one day. I didn't have any frequencies paired with the LCN at the time. I added them in from a chart I found. I have not heard any testing. This is from Unitrunker v2.

1678672923863.png