LMRN General Discussion

XBrandonEdwardX

Telecommunications
You are "receiving Kincardine" because the Control Channel is exactly the same as Niagara Falls. Check the site number when "Kincardine" shows up on the scanner. It is unlikely you can receive it from almost 300 kms away.
That would make a lot of sense. I never really looked that deeply into it.

Clats97

So far, it appears that everything on the new system will be encrypted, with the exception of the MTO Roads talkgroups (snowplows etc).

So that will include all OPP, MTO Enforcement, MNR, EMS etc etc. As for when, I don't think anyone knows for sure (with the exception of those involved) but with the way testing seems to be ramping up I'd say it's this year for sure, likely sooner than later.
I know people are probably gonna laugh at me for this, but hey they've been doing it forever so it's nothing new. I am doing EVERYTHING I can to prevent this full encryption of the system. I will not mention who, but I know a few politicians as well as a current Ontario cabinet minister who I have spoken to and given my case against it.

They agree with me, especially on the fact that it costs extra to encrypt. Doug Ford said in his election platform "I will find efficiencies and prevent them to save money" well here's one right here. I'm gunning for a phone call with him, but the cabinet minister I asked said she will do her best to get me a meeting with the ministry
Sure the contract is already in place and being implemented, so it may be throwing money in the drain instead. I think my case against it is valid and should be prevented. I believe there should be ONE encrypted channel per talkgroup in case there is something super important or something that requires discretion. Otherwise they can use their cellphones (on an unencrypted or encrypted system) or go to the encrypted talkgroup. You do not need to encrypt 98% of the traffic on the system. Give me a break.

EJB

20 + year membership
I know people are probably gonna laugh at me for this, but hey they've been doing it forever so it's nothing new. I am doing EVERYTHING I can to prevent this full encryption of the system. I will not mention who, but I know a few politicians as well as a current Ontario cabinet minister who I have spoken to and given my case against it.

They agree with me, especially on the fact that it costs extra to encrypt. Doug Ford said in his election platform "I will find efficiencies and prevent them to save money" well here's one right here. I'm gunning for a phone call with him, but the cabinet minister I asked said she will do her best to get me a meeting with the ministry
Sure the contract is already in place and being implemented, so it may be throwing money in the drain instead. I think my case against it is valid and should be prevented. I believe there should be ONE encrypted channel per talkgroup in case there is something super important or something that requires discretion. Otherwise they can use their cellphones (on an unencrypted or encrypted system) or go to the encrypted talkgroup. You do not need to encrypt 98% of the traffic on the system. Give me a break.
I'm not gonna laugh at you. Good for you for getting involved. Just remember it's politicians you are dealing with and while they are conservative they like to spend $ just as freely as the rest. And there are probably deals in place anyways.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Isn't AES a standard feature now on new Motorola radios? So more or less... free and not adding any cost to the radio. Just like when ADP was a free option, I think its now been replaced with AES.
I'd say same deal. 1 enc common group for each Comm Centre use, and of course the special service guys, ERT/TRU and the intel boys.. maybe even the tactical channels, but regular ops groups should stay clear.

bigcam406

It's a done deal. OPP and Regional cops around the Golden Horseshoe don't want us hearing anything period. I live in Durham Region and even Fire is encrypted. I applaud the effort but the province's mind was made up when they made the deal with the vendor.

Since encryption is basically standard now on new radio systems, it isn't going to cost extra. Its part of the package. Am I going to miss listening to them? Sure am. But in today's day in age, it is becoming the norm, unfortunately.

gary123

AES is standard in later APX radios and FW versions as a software feature. The radio still needs to have the flash option for software AES. The large problem is it is limited to one key and you have to keyload the radio with a KVL or similar.

Bcbbrown1

I am looking for any updated OPP Repeaters for Huron County. The only one that I have working is out of Exeter Ontario.

gary123

What radio/scanner were you using?
Most of us are using BCD436/536 or SDS100/200's. for the DVRS frequencies. Any scanner that covers the 770-775 band will work.
Just be careful because the frequencies are stepped in 6.25 kHz steps. A SDR can also be used.

Bcbbrown1

Most of us are using BCD436/536 or SDS100/200's. for the DVRS frequencies. Any scanner that covers the 770-775 band will work.
Just be careful because the frequencies are stepped in 6.25 kHz steps. A SDR can also be used.
Thanks, I can still hear the Beat Repeater in Exeter on a 400 MHz Channel, but I’ve lost the Vehicle Repeaters now since the radio upgrade.

EJB

20 + year membership
Brantford is active right now at 1010 hrs. Tg 696. Encryption
Dang!!! I had a dedicated scanner running off the Brantford tower with a fair bit of activities, but we had a building power outage last week and I think I lost everything. Even some "in the clear" stuff.

gary123

My guess is the switch out from the XTL5000 to the APX2500s. Both EMS and OPP are getting the hardware swapped out with new black antennas too. If you look at the control head you will see its all black now instead of the grey around the display.

All the new radios have new RID's. These RID's will be obsolete once LMRN activates.

gary123