LMRN General Discussion

Muxlow

Super Secret
I just saw a post yesterday from OPP. Also, the Aux officers still rocking the Tait's out in that neck of the woods, too.
Guess it's a slow going project :D

gary123

I was talking to a MTO Enforcement Officer. They are now using the new APX hardware but still on FleetNet. He indicated that when they transition the MOT Enforcement will be using the local OPP TG and not a dedicated MTO talkgroup linked to the OPP.

EJB

20 + year membership
I was talking to a MTO Enforcement Officer. They are now using the new APX hardware but still on FleetNet. He indicated that when they transition the MOT Enforcement will be using the local OPP TG and not a dedicated MTO talkgroup linked to the OPP.
Slowly seeing them on their new radios, #64000's

gary123

Be sure to search the 770-776 area. Sometimes as new areas transition, someone may accidentally select the wrong channel and use a new unknown frequency.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
Zone Boundary Sites - Dual Sites (speculation)

In the map that was posted of LMRN sites, I see some sites have 2 stars really close together, and these seem to be in the Zone Boundary areas. I've marked up the attached map for the Zone 1 / Zone 2 Boundary.

This is speculative, and you might have to squint a bit at the map, but here's what I see.

a. Orillia 700 is a new site to support 700MHz portable operation around HQ, Central Region HQ, and City of Orillia Urban Ops.

b. Telford VHF is a new site to be added in Zone 1, fixing the VHF coverage hole on Hwy 11 north of Orillia where Edgar is weak. I called this Telford VHF because it's probably the Bell Mobility site on Telford Rd.

c. Moon River has 2 stars and will possibly have Zone 1 and Zone 2 VHF radio gear at the same site. My guess is that fixes poor VHF coverage on the shoreline areas north of Penetang, Sawlog Bay, Thunder Beach and Christian Island.

d. Sunderland and Pontypool have 2 stars - These are Zone 1 sites, but will possibly have Zone 2 radio gear in the new LMRN design. That would fix a long standing problem or poor coverage in southern Kawartha Lakes on Zone 2 which is only served by Fenelon today.

e. Fenelon and Cobourg have 2 stars - These are Zone 2 sites, but will possibly have Zone 1 radio gear in the new LMRN design.
I cant explain why they might need Fenelon in Zone 1 - Maybe improved coverage east of Lake Simcoe, or into Muskoka. Having Cobourg in Zone 1 and Zone 2 to fill in coverage makes a lot of sense to improve coverage in the east end of Durham Region.

f. New sites in Minden and Buckhorn? Hwy 35 coverage from Miner's Bay through Minden is not great. A Minden site makes a lot of sense.
Buckhorn is probably the original Buckhorn OPP site, born again as a LMRN site.

g. Unexplained.. Haliburton and Harcourt have 2 stars. That's not intuitive as there isn't a zone boundary near there. I wonder if there may be a realignment of Zone boundaries between Zone 2 and Zone 3, perhaps around Algonquin Park and serving MNR?

h. There's a new site in Algonquin Park. Looks like the Bell Mobility Jack Lake site. And a new site near Silent Lake Provincial Park north of Apsley.

Thoguhts?

Attachments

• Zone 1 Zone 2 Sites.png
    Zone 1 Zone 2 Sites.png
    445.3 KB · Views: 51

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Zone Boundary Sites - Dual Sites (speculation)

In the map that was posted of LMRN sites, I see some sites have 2 stars really close together, and these seem to be in the Zone Boundary areas. I've marked up the attached map for the Zone 1 / Zone 2 Boundary.

Keeping in mind that the new system will be one large system that a radio can transition easily from one Zone to the other so having equipment for another zone is not necessary anymore.

I'll have to look at the map again but I believe the map shows the standalone VHF Ontario Parks repeaters as well which could account for some of the double stars.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
Keeping in mind that the new system will be one large system that a radio can transition easily from one Zone to the other so having equipment for another zone is not necessary anymore.

I'll have to look at the map again but I believe the map shows the standalone VHF Ontario Parks repeaters as well which could account for some of the double stars.
Dedicated Parks repeaters could account for some of the stars. The star at Silent Lake PP (north of Apsley) could possibly be that - Maybe a P25 One-Frequency-Trunk (P25 Repeater that uses NAC and TGID and has an IP link to the network core, but is otherwise Conventional).
Or perhaps it's a rack-mounted Futurecom DVR-LX with VHF APX linking into the VHF network and it's being creatively called a "Site".

Circa 2016 Astro 25 "M" core specs suggest 300 channels and 1-24 sites in a single zone, and 1000 channels and 150 sites in multi-zone. The M Core is a off-the-shelf HP DL380 server and Direct-Attached-Storage, talking to the GCP8000 site controllers over IP/MPLS.

I'm pondering if either Motorola increased the number-of-sites capability of the Astro 25 Core, or if the LMRN will still have zones, but that ISSI gateways between zones and automatic roaming on the GR8000 site controller will make it appear like one large system.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Some of the double stars could also be low band sites to support forest fire operations. It could also include locations of the Corrections TETRA system.

a. Orillia 700 is a new site to support 700MHz portable operation around HQ, Central Region HQ, and City of Orillia Urban Ops.

b. Telford VHF is a new site to be added in Zone 1, fixing the VHF coverage hole on Hwy 11 north of Orillia where Edgar is weak. I called this Telford VHF because it's probably the Bell Mobility site on Telford Rd.

c. Moon River has 2 stars and will possibly have Zone 1 and Zone 2 VHF radio gear at the same site. My guess is that fixes poor VHF coverage on the shoreline areas north of Penetang, Sawlog Bay, Thunder Beach and Christian Island.

d. Sunderland and Pontypool have 2 stars - These are Zone 1 sites, but will possibly have Zone 2 radio gear in the new PSRN design. That would fix a long standing problem or poor coverage in southern Kawartha Lakes on Zone 2 which is only served by Fenelon today.

e. Fenelon and Cobourg have 2 stars - These are Zone 2 sites, but will possibly have Zone 1 radio gear in the new PSRN design.
I cant explain why they might need Fenelon in Zone 1 - Maybe improved coverage east of Lake Simcoe, or into Muskoka. Having Cobourg in Zone 1 and Zone 2 to fill in coverage makes a lot of sense to improve coverage in the east end of Durham Region.

f. New sites in Minden and Buckhorn? Hwy 35 coverage from Miner's Bay through Minden is not great. A Minden site makes a lot of sense.
Buckhorn is probably the original Buckhorn OPP site, born again as a PSRN site.

g. Unexplained.. Haliburton and Harcourt have 2 stars. That's not intuitive as there isn't a zone boundary near there. I wonder if there may be a realignment of Zone boundaries between Zone 2 and Zone 3, perhaps around Algonquin Park and serving MNR?

h. There's a new site in Algonquin Park. Looks like the Bell Mobility Jack Lake site. And a new site near Silent Lake Provincial Park north of Apsley.

Thoguhts?
a) Orillia already has a VHF LMRN site on the air (at least I assume Orillia, the signal is extremely strong there, more so than the existing Penetang or Edgar Fleetnet site).

h) Jack Lake has an MNR low-band site, so that would certainly make sense. There's some VHF licenses there for the Province as well (new Parks system maybe?)

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
Some of the double stars could also be low band sites to support forest fire operations. It could also include locations of the Corrections TETRA system.

a) Orillia already has a VHF LMRN site on the air (at least I assume Orillia, the signal is extremely strong there, more so than the existing Penetang or Edgar Fleetnet site).

h) Jack Lake has an MNR low-band site, so that would certainly make sense. There's some VHF licenses there for the Province as well (new Parks system maybe?)

Algonquin Park...
I see 141.720 / 139.200 licensed at Jake Lake since 2013. A 950 MHz full duplex link to Whitney (Gatehouse)
GMCB has several (4) full duplex UHF links. Jake Lake to Haliburton OPP Tower licensed in 2014. Jake Lake to Bancroft OPP etc.

Algonquin Forest Authority has a UHF full duplex link to Manta Garage (Between Cedar Lake and Hogan Lake) where there is a low band repeater 47.29/47.64 on a 60 foot tower.

Seems like an important radio site and would augment trunked coverage, but is at the vary least a site for and RGW controlling traditional LMR over IP.

EJB

20 + year membership
Started hearing MOH chatter on 771.84375 in the Streetsville area today. Noticing new black antennas on the ambulances too.

I'm hearing the MOH here in Hamilton on for instance 772.05625 with a CTCSS of 131.8.
I can say with assurances that the Ambo I was in a week before Xmas still was using the old repeaters, I think repeater #3.

Attachments

• 20240112_153437.jpg
    20240112_153437.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 25

mrweather

I have heard digital noise on the 771 MHz frequencies on rare occasions (and not the brief digital chirp that pops up regularly) but I don't know if that was unintentional or they're just testing or whatever.

cxgy2

Premium Subscriber
Buckhorn is probably the original Buckhorn OPP site, born again as a PSRN site.
I can confirm that on the MOH PCom (150.1 MHz), I heard Lindsay Control say that they were testing on the "Minden Tower" while communicating with an ambulance.

EJB

20 + year membership
I can confirm that on the MOH PCom (150.1 MHz), I heard Lindsay Control say that they were testing on the "Minden Tower" while communicating with an ambulance.

I hear Hamilton CACC doing tests on P-COMM with Hamilton EMS doing tests on both the Brantford and Hamilton towers, but it isn't LMRN. I have a scanner dedicated to LMRN and no activity of that nature.

gary123

Occasionally you will see NACs of A30-A34 popup on the EMS DVRS. This seems to be when the DVRS is either activated or when it is being remotely controlled.

The NACs run sequentially from EMS VR01 -05

mciupa

Radio ID 704647 is busy switching around and affilliating on talkgroups 19091,19092, 19111,19112, 19113 on the Toronto tower 1.40

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
There is no Minden site licensed on 150.100 in TAFL. However, there is a Minden radio site with a GMCB Microwave License.
I searched TAFL for all GMCB licenses, then searched within that for Minden - Only one radio license.

Minden - 11901 Highway 35
TX6152.75000Minden (11901 Ontario HighWay 35) ONHis Majesty The King in Right of The Province of Ontario (GMCB AFC Account)0001870769
RX6404.79000Minden (11901 Ontario HighWay 35) ONHis Majesty The King in Right of The Province of Ontario (GMCB AFC Account)0001870768

This TAFL query will give you dots on a map for all the GMCB microwave licenses in Central and Southwestern Ontario.
And looking at these Microwave Licenses in detail, there is embedded intelligence in the "Licensee Station Reference" and "Reference Identifier" fields of the license.

For example, the Minden license above has a site identifier of "W0183"

The GMCB Microwave Radio Licenses have intelligence embedded in the Reference Identifer field in TAFL/ISED data
Reference IdentifierP-2020147-G0114-G0109

G0114 and G0109 are Site Identifiers. And searching TAFL for those, tell you the other end of the microwave path.
Additionally, the Licensee Station Reference Field is the Site Indentifier for the license you are looking at.
Licensee Station ReferenceG0109

So if I search TAFL for G0114, I get both ends of the link and anything else with the site code.
So "P-2020147-G0114-G0109" is a link between Barrie (102 Commerce Park Dr) and Sunderland (14200 Side Rd 18)
Tx/RxFrequencyLocationLicenseeDetailsRX6132.98000Barrie (102 Commerce Park Dr) ONHis Majesty The King in Right of The Province of Ontario (GMCB AFC Account)0001873460TX6132.98000Sunderland (14200 Side Rd 18) ONHis Majesty The King in Right of The Province of Ontario (GMCB AFC Account)0001873459TX6385.02000Barrie (102 Commerce Park Dr) ONHis Majesty The King in Right of The Province of Ontario (GMCB AFC Account)0001873457RX6385.02000Sunderland (14200 Side Rd 18) ONHis Majesty The King in Right of The Province of Ontario (GMCB AFC Account)0001873458