LMRN General Discussion

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Toronto CACC channel is quiet as could be. The switch is starting to happen fast
Toronto has been gone for about a week. I would suspect we'll see Oshawa go next week if the pattern of one a week holds true. After that I would assume the OPP are next?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
mapleradio said:
A quick question: Is there a reason why they need all these CACC talkgroups?
Does it not make it more difficult for dispatch to manage?

Keep in mind that a lot of times they will patch several groups together so one dispatcher can handle them.

If one of the groups becomes extremely busy for some reason, they can drop that group from the patch and another dispatcher can help out.

gary123

Additionally, the number of TG's are loosely based on the number of calls in a geographic area. The idea being the work load is spread evenly over the dispatch pool.

Rumors abound but OPP is reported to switch in August. The question will be are they going to transition like EMS in an area by area or will they go all in and switch everything all at once?

I expect shortly after OPP migrate that the FleetNet sites will start to shutdown.

w3rwn

Ran a call with EMS tonight. Fairly deep into a factory and their portables were crystal clear. Audio sounded really good.

It's good that it works well. Motorola radios do have nice gain control and filtering before the vocoder, so there is likely to be much more consistent audio level than with the analog gear.

gary123

This could be interesting. If they are running on LMRN directly there may be portable coverage issues. I am expecting them to be using the DVRS channels for most day to day operations.

We may also get lucky and find that the OPP car radios are in one RID group and the portables in another.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
This could be interesting. If they are running on PSRN directly there may be portable coverage issues. I am expecting them to be using the DVRS channels for most day to day operations.
I heard what sounded like portables being tested on VHF in the Midland area a few times which makes me wonder if some towns might get VHF BEAT type repeaters.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I was at an event in a EMS Command vehicle and they were sent 15 new APX XE portables that had LMRN trunking in it for when they are away from a VR and had a new VR frequency for special events.

BMR had to install a repeater on an apartment building to work on the special event VR frequency, too. It was just a mess of radios and things they didn't think of beforehand when designing the radio system.

Radios are being sent back to BMR in the next few days since the event is over. I wouldn't be surprised if all EMS portables get an update as well as the DVRS with the new frequency.

mapleradio

I was at an event in a EMS Command vehicle and they were sent 15 new APX XE portables that had LMRN trunking in it for when they are away from a VR and had a new VR frequency for special events.

BMR had to install a repeater on an apartment building to work on the special event VR frequency, too. It was just a mess of radios and things they didn't think of beforehand when designing the radio system.

Radios are being sent back to BMR in the next few days since the event is over. I wouldn't be surprised if all EMS portables get an update as well as the DVRS with the new frequency.
I've been reading the original quote and some kind of transportable rig was to be made available, would this be the same?

Muxlow

Super Secret
Don't think it is. During a briefing few weeks ago, our team asked what their plan was when no VR is around. They apparently never came up with that situation for special events specific. The antenna and DVRS they put at an apartment building is a permanent thing now.
The 15 radios they got that had the Special Event VR channel are getting sent back. Who knows when the radios will be reprogrammed for that?

Mobile in the Command trailer was on one group and the second radio in it was on the a SEV group (Special E-Vent)
All that work and they hardly used the radios at all..

gary123

No local VR is not a huge issue. Just park an ambulance at the event. It would not be hard to make up a external extendable antenna either.

EMS is using APX6000 so they are stuck using the 7/800 band. My guess is the temporary portables had some simplex freq in them. Maybe they were 'borrowed' from OPP or someone with simplex assignments for the event??

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Georgian CACC has a mobile command post with an NXDN base and a handful of NXDN portables that they deploy at special events. Have to wonder if they will continue to use it?

Muxlow

Super Secret
No local VR is not a huge issue. Just park an ambulance at the event. It would not be hard to make up a external extendable antenna either.

EMS is using APX6000 so they are stuck using the 7/800 band. My guess is the temporary portables had some simplex freq in them. Maybe they were 'borrowed' from OPP or someone with simplex assignments for the event??
The APX XE radio (that ugly green colour) had a couple talkgroups on LMRN and a couple repeater channels too. It was just the Special Event groups that were on the system and the regular VR01 and a specialty VR.

We had a bunch of POC radios in the Command trailer but Bell screwed up and didn't bring a Site On Wheels for the cell tower, so capacity was horrid and the POC didn't work. Also, they had a VHF DMR radio linked into the POC and 15 portables in simplex and couple channels on a local repeater that were mostly used as the Navy, RCMP, Coast Guard and local cops had also for this event

w3rwn

Georgian CACC has a mobile command post with an NXDN base and a handful of NXDN portables that they deploy at special events. Have to wonder if they will continue to use it?
Kawartha Lakes is hosting the International Plowing Match Oct 1 to Oct 5.
Typically that's between 35,000 and 70,000 attendees.
Will keep my eyes (and antennas and SDRs) peeled for new radio signals.