Long distance reception AM radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boombox

WA8ZTZ,
Glad to hear you had an enjoyable DX session with the SR3. The Grundig AN200 loop is probably similar to my Radio Shack loop and my Select-A-Tenna, both of which add maybe 2 db to the loudness of the signals on my Superadios when DXing. You will probably find your Grundig loop useful.

Sometimes when using the loops with my Superadios, I don't have to move (re-angle) the radio at all, just more or reorient the loop.

Makes DXing a little bit easier. :)

RE: the X-Band: Out here the X band is a toss up. 1700 usually has a mix of XEPE (near San Diego) and 2-3 eastern stations, including one in Iowa and two in Texas. 1690 is usually KFSG in California, sometimes with other stations behind (mainly the business station in Colorado). 1680 and 1620 have locals, so DXing is dicey at best, either the local has to have a computer glitch (silence), or a distant station has to be really strong in a tight null.

1640 has two regionals and a third that sometimes pops up. 1650 is a true DX channel, sometimes the Spanish Christian station in Denver predominates but you never know what you'll hear: El Paso, Arkansas, NOAA TIS's from the Oregon Coast, or mostly static. 1660 usually has two stations any given night, KBRE from California that plays rock, and a Spanish Christian station in the LA Inland Empire area.

pjxii

I'm looking to purchase a AM/FM long distance reception radio.
I have researched many but I'm still looking.
Can someone please recommend a radio that has the best sensitivity and selectivity plus long distance reception for A/M Dxing?

Are you asking about DXing during daylight? Almost any portable AM radio will bring in long distance reception during the night time hours. Even the tiny Sony SRF-59 does a fantastic job when the sun goes down. For daytime DX, I've never had anything that came close to the old Panasonic RF-2200 which can easily be found on eBay. Two bandwidth filters, rotatable ferrite antenna to keep from having to turn the radio and extremely low noise floor and good audio.
The Sony ICF-38 was mentioned below. Very underrated radio! Not a DX machine but very good and cheap.

Boombox

Are you asking about DXing during daylight? Almost any portable AM radio will bring in long distance reception during the night time hours. Even the tiny Sony SRF-59 does a fantastic job when the sun goes down. For daytime DX, I've never had anything that came close to the old Panasonic RF-2200 which can easily be found on eBay. Two bandwidth filters, rotatable ferrite antenna to keep from having to turn the radio and extremely low noise floor and good audio.
The Sony ICF-38 was mentioned below. Very underrated radio! Not a DX machine but very good and cheap.

My Sony ICF-38 picks up every station my Superadio picks up, although at slightly lessened strengths on the weakest stations. They are very good all around DX machines. Too bad Sony stopped making them. Still available on the new-old-stock market, though.

You are correct, they are very underrated radios. Run forever on a set of 4 AA batteries, too. Terrific emergency or disaster radio.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I use the CCrane CCRadio-EP along with the external loop antenna and absolutely love it for AM dxing. I can usually move the loop around and get at least two stations per frequency. I have used a ton of different radio's over the years for AM dxing and the CCrane is the best I have ever used. There have been others that may sound better, but for pure reception the CCrane cannot be beat in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.