Looking for a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

I was looking for a new scanner, my old reliable PRO-46 is dead, My PRO-136, receives the weather radio frequency at the same time as local police, not sure what that is all about.
I went looking on Amazon and found some desktop scanners, and that's what I would prefer. I see the BCT15X scanner is reasonably priced but how good is it? AOR is out of reach, and I can't believe that analog/digital trunking receivers are still so high priced, after all of these years.
Anyway I just wanted to toss this out there and see what people think.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I went looking on Amazon and found some desktop scanners, and that's what I would prefer. I see the BCT15X scanner is reasonably priced but how good is it?

Looks like your county is still using analog VHF, so I think the BCT15X would be a great choice for you. It's widely regarded as an excellent analog scanner. I have one and like it a lot.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Looks like your county is still using analog VHF, so I think the BCT15X would be a great choice for you.
Actually, no. All of the state stuff (including the highway patrol) is on a P25 trunked system, as is Lincoln County, which is only a few miles from Gothenburg. So being limited to analog only would miss a lot of traffic. The state P25 system isn't simulcast, so the SDS models wouldn't be required, but you'll definitely want a trunking-capable scanner like the 996 or 536.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Actually, no. All of the state stuff (including the highway patrol) is on a P25 trunked system, as is Lincoln County, which is only a few miles from Gothenburg. So being limited to analog only would miss a lot of traffic. The state P25 system isn't simulcast, so the SDS models wouldn't be required, but you'll definitely want a trunking-capable scanner like the 996 or 536.

Yes, I saw the state system, although I will confess I didn't look at nearby counties. But the OP seems to be looking for something at a lower price point than say a BCD996P2, so if the interest is in "local police" then the BCT15X will be a good solution.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It will miss much, if not most of the traffic in the area. You can get a 996 or 536 available used for fairly reasonable money. People are selling off older models to buy SDSs.

N8IAA

I was looking for a new scanner, my old reliable PRO-46 is dead, My PRO-136, receives the weather radio frequency at the same time as local police, not sure what that is all about.
I went looking on Amazon and found some desktop scanners, and that's what I would prefer. I see the BCT15X scanner is reasonably priced but how good is it? AOR is out of reach, and I can't believe that analog/digital trunking receivers are still so high priced, after all of these years.

Dawson county isn't on the statewide system. The 15X will do well for your county.

There is no need to purchase a higher priced digital scanner, unless you really have a need to listen to highway patrol. If so, a Whistler 1065 will monitor that system, as well as your county's analog frequencies.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Dawson county isn't on the statewide system. The 15X will do well for your county.

There is no need to purchase a higher priced digital scanner, unless you really have a need to listen to highway patrol. If so, a Whistler 1065 will monitor that system, as well as your county's analog frequencies.

And if you decide to go that route, you can get a "Scratch and Dent" WS1065 for $135 on the Whistler site, which is actually a bit less than you can pick up a BCT15X for. I've seen a few posts from folks who purchased "Scratch and Dent" units who said they looked brand new, but it would be up to you to decide if you would be comfortable going that route. They do come with a warranty but only 90 days instead of the normal 1 year.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your input so far I will look around

One other thing you might try is to post in the Nebraska forum and see if there's anyone who can provide a local point of view. I know I'm just going on what's in the RR database and I'm guessing the other posters are too. If you find someone they might also be able to provide insight on whether there are any near-future plans to move to the statewide system.

N8IAA

Thanks for your input so far I will look around

If you do want to move your thread to the NE state forum, click on Report, in the lower left of one of your posts. Ask that it be moved to that forum.
RR frowns on double posts with the same content.

jandlory

Premium Subscriber

Just upgrade to the SDS200 for simulcast reasons here in the Omaha metro area. I have a used PRO 652 which is the same as a whistler WS1065 which I am going to sale reasonably priced if you are interested. Just private message me if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.