• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for advice for a new CB radio "system" for my pickup truck

wx2watch

I’m interested in purchasing a CB radio for an upcoming 10 hour + drive from Massachusetts to Virginia. I have been following the discussions on RR regarding the “need” for digital noise reduction which is now available on newer radios – specifically the Anytone AT5555 N II and the Radioddity QT60 I believe.

Walcott Radio’s web site indicates that I need them to modify the Anytone so that it will operate in the CB spectrum – Is this true and also can I trust them to NOT accidentally degrade the performance of the factory set specs?

(I have an FCC amateur radio Technician license and understand that techs can operate voice on the 10-meter band in the 28.3-28.5 MHz segment.)

I think the Stryker SR A10 magnetic mount CB antenna would be suitable – (YES, that’s right, I am afraid to drill the damn hole in my 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport pickup truck – no sunroof but too many airbags…) I think initially I’ll just have the radio sitting on the passenger seat with the coax running out the sliding rear cab window.

I also believe that I will need an external speaker – maybe the Driver Extreme DX901.

I want the weather bands and also THOUGHT I had read somewhere of a radio that has a limited VHF receiver but I don’t seem to be able to find that reference now for VHF.

So, I’m looking for suggestions regarding the above ramblings as well as:

CB radio that is not too complicated but can be modified either by software or snipping diodes/wires and also easily change CB channels while driving

Can I trust a vendor to mod the radio OR can I do it myself – I’m reasonably computer proficient

Any advice, before I drop $500 into this, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Unless they fixed the noise from the fuel pumps in the later gen 3’s, you will have more noise in your receive than signals heard.

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
<snip> Walcott Radio’s web site indicates that I need them to modify the Anytone so that it will operate in the CB spectrum – Is this true and also can I trust them to NOT accidentally degrade the performance of the factory set specs?

(I have an FCC amateur radio Technician license and understand that techs can operate voice on the 10-meter band in the 28.3-28.5 MHz segment.) <snip>

You do understand that by transmitting on a modified for CB AnyTone AT-5555N II in the CB spectrum is in violation of 47 CFR Part 95 Subpart D?

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Mag mount on roof will beat those.

WILSON 5000, or (better) SIRIO 5000.

I’d find what this man has in stock and otherwise send the radio to him. These latest don’t really need anything, but if you want a clean radio made more so, his reputation is growing.

Send him the new short-case V.2 version.

With the DRX-901 speaker plus the above you’ve hit high performance territory. Both in TX & RX range.

It’s not enough power to upset anything, and you’ll be heard which the Karen’s conveniently ignore. None of them regard risk as real.

This is pretty similar to how I outfitted my son a few years back with his 2015 4Runner. Didn’t notice 12V noise of any note (12V to Batt and Neg to a seat bolt).

A KENWOOD KLF-2 near the radio if the usual fixes don’t suffice.

And, as budget allows:

On the back of the radio to serve as CMC/RF Choke.

Last edited:

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
2015 4 runner wasn’t using PWM fuel pumps, and is a different engine than the 3rd gen Tacoma.

Noise is radiated from the fuel pump and wiring, not from the dc power leads from the voltage source to the radio.

And a common mode choke doesn’t cure it either.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
2015 4 runner wasn’t using PWM fuel pumps, and is a different engine than the 3rd gen Tacoma.

Noise is radiated from the fuel pump and wiring, not from the dc power leads from the voltage source to the radio.

And a common mode choke doesn’t cure it either.

How did you fix it?

Post in thread 'Big Truck Radio 12V Source Upgrade'
Big Truck Radio 12V Source Upgrade

That’s the thread to which to append as PWM is noted elsewhere as a problem source.

Treat the offender, and treat the victim (to paraphrase Bob Brehm at Palomar Engineers).

Last edited:

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
How did you fix it?

Post in thread 'Big Truck Radio 12V Source Upgrade'
Big Truck Radio 12V Source Upgrade

That’s the thread to which to append as PWM is noted elsewhere as a problem source.

Treat the agent, and treat the victim (to paraphrase Bob Brehm at Palomar Engineers).

I was able to mitigate it slightly with a bunch of clip on mix 31 ferrites where the fuel pump wiring exists the fuel tank. Ultimately I need extend fuel pump harness, or create an harness extension so the wires will be long enough to wrap numerous turns around some toroids to change the resonance of the emissions.

The HF hardly gets operated while vehicle is running anyway as the vehicle only gets used on the weekends and vacations. It was too much work at the time and have abandoned the project.

When and if the fuel pump actually dies, I’ll probably have better luck with an aftermarket replacement when that time comes, or take advantage of the fuel tank being dropped and modify at that time.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I was able to mitigate it slightly with a bunch of clip on mix 31 ferrites where the fuel pump wiring exists the fuel tank. Ultimately I need extend fuel pump harness, or create an harness extension so the wires will be long enough to wrap numerous turns around some toroids to change the resonance of the emissions.

The HF hardly gets operated while vehicle is running anyway as the vehicle only gets used on the weekends and vacations. It was too much work at the time and have abandoned the project.

When and if the fuel pump actually dies, I’ll probably have better luck with an aftermarket replacement when that time comes, or take advantage of the fuel tank being dropped and modify at that time.
Thanks. A great, “heads-up”.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. A great, “heads-up”.

I have a thread over on the Tacoma forums relating to the entire issue a few years ago, including SA videos , of the noise floor , running separate power sources and including running the vehicle with the fuel pump disconnected.

I may make videos again with the Anritsu SA that has a better resolution than the tiny SA and the Viavi I was using, just for giggles and 💩’s

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I have a thread over on the Tacoma forums relating to the entire issue a few years ago, including SA videos , of the noise floor , running separate power sources and including running the vehicle with the fuel pump disconnected.

I may make videos again with the Anritsu SA that has a better resolution than the tiny SA and the Viavi I was using, just for giggles and 💩’s

Maybe you’ll do that update on the INSTALL subforum with a link to those earlier attempts.

Where @mmckenna overmatches the wildebeests of associated problems.

IMG_6065.jpeg.

niceguy71

I’m interested in purchasing a CB radio for an upcoming 10 hour + drive from Massachusetts to Virginia. I have been following the discussions on RR regarding the “need” for digital noise reduction which is now available on newer radios – specifically the Anytone AT5555 N II and the Radioddity QT60 I believe.

Walcott Radio’s web site indicates that I need them to modify the Anytone so that it will operate in the CB spectrum – Is this true and also can I trust them to NOT accidentally degrade the performance of the factory set specs?

(I have an FCC amateur radio Technician license and understand that techs can operate voice on the 10-meter band in the 28.3-28.5 MHz segment.)

I think the Stryker SR A10 magnetic mount CB antenna would be suitable – (YES, that’s right, I am afraid to drill the damn hole in my 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport pickup truck – no sunroof but too many airbags…) I think initially I’ll just have the radio sitting on the passenger seat with the coax running out the sliding rear cab window.

I also believe that I will need an external speaker – maybe the Driver Extreme DX901.

I want the weather bands and also THOUGHT I had read somewhere of a radio that has a limited VHF receiver but I don’t seem to be able to find that reference now for VHF.

CB radio that is not too complicated but can be modified either by software or snipping diodes/wires and also easily change CB channels while driving

Can I trust a vendor to mod the radio OR can I do it myself – I’m reasonably computer proficient

Thanks in advance,
John
I think you picked a winner with the Anytone 5555 N II .... they just came out with a shorter version 10.75 inches instead of the long original version 12.75.... the 5555 N II has the weather band... as far as modifying it... it couldn't be easier don't sweat it..... I hear fantastic things about the Stryker AR 10 antenna .. it should work great.... I know SlowMover recommends the Siro performer 5000 and I think you can get a magnet mount for it... I'm sure its as good if not better.... I have the Stryker ar 10 also ( sitting in my garage waiting for me to do some range tests on it)
..... so if you have not bought the radio yet here is what you need to know

the older version 5555 N II the long one is now discontinued as of this month... so the warehouses are still filled with them ( hard to get the new ones).... but because they are the older version they are dirt CHEAP! ... so if you can fit that HUGE radio in that truck get that one. $174

if room is important... they just came out with the Anytone 6666 PRO this month too and it's small.... it does everything the 5555 n II does EXCEPT it doesn't have the weather channels.... but it puts out 90 to 100 watts compared to the 5555 N II only does 60 watts... ( 60 should be more than enough) but the new 6666 PRO is now the top of the line radio knocking off the 5555 N II. $300.00

you could also get the new short version of the 5555 N II ... those two inches make a big difference $242.00

I'd like to sell my 8 month old long version still in the box to you, I did do the 11 meter conversion and test the radio once a month to keep it happy.... I'm in the South Shore but the new ones are $174.00 meaning I would have to sell it for less...and I don't think I'll take such a beating on it... and will try to shoe horn it into my pick-up

if you get near the South Shore i'll tune the antenna with my RigExpert and we'll give it a good test.

what a great time to be buying a radio!

here is the old style

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807228902933.html?src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&gclsrc=aw.ds&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&gclsrc=aw.ds&albagn=888888&ds_e_adid=&ds_e_matchtype=&ds_e_device=c&ds_e_network=x&ds_e_product_group_id=&ds_e_product_id=en3256807228902933&ds_e_product_merchant_id=5385857471&ds_e_product_country=US&ds_e_product_language=en&ds_e_product_channel=online&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_url_v=2&albcp=19413040701&albag=&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw2Je1BhAgEiwAp3KY73PXOg1uY6__gnCElfcHp7qznniVR5Ddml7pfi48J5jURVLwDgo3mBoCtIkQAvD_BwE&aff_fcid=f573cbe675f54c9081580530a06c2ca6-1722220493775-06882-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=f573cbe675f54c9081580530a06c2ca6-1722220493775-06882-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=5d97ba9470c94496bfa8114aa3862ab2&afSmartRedirect=n&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

here is the new style

and here is the new 6666 PRO... not sure how you do the conversion on it... but hopefully it is the same as the old 6666 radio's

jcrmadden

I'm relatively new to cb (I have more to learn than I have advice to give). But I have a 2019 TRD Sport that may provide some example (even if it's what not to do). As you know space is limited in those trucks, but I made the long case radio work (before there was a short case). My setup is less than ideal by more than one man's standards I'm sure, but it works for me.

KIMG2531~2.JPG

Yes I can still use the armrest comfortably. Yes I can still access the center console easily (everything just tilts back out of the way). I did sacrifice the two cup holders behind it, but I can live without 'em. There is a conveniently large void space under those cup holders (behind the cover) that could house RF filters out of sight.

I'm running the Radiodity QT60, a clone of the Anytone 5555N2. I run NRC Rx at 3, ASQ at 4, and NB on. I can run mic gain wide open and squelch all the way down without any engine noise (clean power fixed that for me).

The DX901 was a serious step up in audio quality, but finding a place to put it is the challenge. If there's a place to mount it, there's an airbag behind it. I mounted it to the radio itself. The bracket holes line up perfectly with two of the screws for the radio's internal speaker.

The inside of the bed is composite, so mounting an antenna anywhere on the back half of the truck will result in significant ground losses. I have mine on a steel bed topper/camper shell, but if I didn't have that it would be on a big mag mount in the center of the roof. It's going on the roof of the topper asap (I'm waiting on my new mount to arrive). I ran the coax out the rear cab vent behind the driver's side rear seat (there's a rubber flap that keeps the weather out). The rear slider lets plenty of rain in (tried it) as the water wants to follow the coax.

Again, it's just my experience. Individual results may vary :ROFLMAO: Safe travels driver.

KIMG2536~2.JPG

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin

Thanks in advance,
John
Mod is easy... cut the wire, move the jumper. Just DIY as the radio is already optimally tuned out of the box. As K4EET stated, it would be against the rules to transmit on CB but listening is just fine. These also make great ham rigs, especially the new shorter N II with a few things they added/fixed. Now is the time to experience 10m DX with the solar cycle where it is.
expanded.jpg

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
There is a drain plug in the bottom rear if can you can slit and run through rather than using the vent system.

As for composite bed for ground plane , you can run flat braided to the mount and to one of the bolts behind the tail light to bond or straight to the frame.

And if you really wanna get wild on a Friday night, bond doors, hood, each section of exhaust as well

😂

niceguy71

I'm relatively new to cb (I have more to learn than I have advice to give). But I have a 2019 TRD Sport that may provide some example (even if it's what not to do). As you know space is limited in those trucks, but I made the long case radio work (before there was a short case). My setup is less than ideal by more than one man's standards I'm sure, but it works for me.

View attachment 166658

Yes I can still use the armrest comfortably. Yes I can still access the center console easily (everything just tilts back out of the way). I did sacrifice the two cup holders behind it, but I can live without 'em. There is a conveniently large void space under those cup holders (behind the cover) that could house RF filters out of sight.

I'm running the Radiodity QT60, a clone of the Anytone 5555N2. I run NRC Rx at 3, ASQ at 4, and NB on. I can run mic gain wide open and squelch all the way down without any engine noise (clean power fixed that for me).

The DX901 was a serious step up in audio quality, but finding a place to put it is the challenge. If there's a place to mount it, there's an airbag behind it. I mounted it to the radio itself. The bracket holes line up perfectly with two of the screws for the radio's internal speaker.

The inside of the bed is composite, so mounting an antenna anywhere on the back half of the truck will result in significant ground losses. I have mine on a steel bed topper/camper shell, but if I didn't have that it would be on a big mag mount in the center of the roof. It's going on the roof of the topper asap (I'm waiting on my new mount to arrive). I ran the coax out the rear cab vent behind the driver's side rear seat (there's a rubber flap that keeps the weather out). The rear slider lets plenty of rain in (tried it) as the water wants to follow the coax.

Again, it's just my experience. Individual results may vary :ROFLMAO: Safe travels driver.

View attachment 166660
Awesome post and very helpful
I too ran my coax through the back of the cab and then through the bed ... My bad had plastic plugs in the front of the bed so I drilled through the plugs.
I always wondered where you put your radio thanks for sharing the picture
Behind me would never work for me .... I just need to see it and fiddle with it especially on sideband ... Someday take a picture of the front.... I'd like to see the console and front edges of the front seats and lower dashboard..... I enjoy trying to figure out better options.

Again great post... I think that long version will be in your wife's SUV or your base station soon and I see your wife buying you the 6666 PRO for Chistmas

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
If there's a place to mount it, there's an airbag behind it.

Can also go here. Or completely under drivers seat, both firing into footwell.

Test for clearance and for volume at highway speed with windows half down.

IMG_2378.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Awesome post and very helpful
I too ran my coax through the back of the cab and then through the bed ... My bad had plastic plugs in the front of the bed so I drilled through the plugs.
I always wondered where you put your radio thanks for sharing the picture
Behind me would never work for me .... I just need to see it and fiddle with it especially on sideband ... Someday take a picture of the front.... I'd like to see the console and front edges of the front seats and lower dashboard..... I enjoy trying to figure out better options.

Again great post... I think that long version will be in your wife's SUV or your base station soon and I see your wife buying you the 6666 PRO for Chistmas

Yeah, he’s left us hanging. Pics appreciated.

My setup is less than ideal by more than one man's standards I'm sure, but it works for me.

Dancing hula girl on speaker.
Secondary meter.
She’s got a jiggle when it jaggles.

IMG_6072.jpeg

Someone just grabbed a gear on the downslope to go around. Gotta git ‘er dun before the grade ascent just ahead!

She’s a whirlin’ and twirlin’ ‘em now.

Last edited: