Looking to purchase a SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus661

Almost Retired
Premium Subscriber
Getting back into scanning after being out of it for about 7 years. Back then I always had the latest Uniden scanner so I am looking at the SDS100. I need a refresher course on a few things. I live in the Toledo, Ohio (Lucas County) area and I am wondering if I need to add the DMR, NXDN, or Provoice upgrades? I really know little about them. If I need them what would they be used for? Also any other must have accessories? Thanks

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
This will give you information on what upgrades you might need.

marksmith

I would get it without the upgrades first. All of the functionality is included in the basic unit. If you decide you want to add it later, all you do is register it at the uniden website and purchase the appropriate code for that radio serial number. Enter the code and the new capability is unlocked.

Zeus661

Almost Retired
Premium Subscriber
This will give you information on what upgrades you might need.

Thanks. I searched my county (Lucas, Ohio) and saw a lot listed for DMR. Does that mean I will not be able to monitor any of those frequencies listed in the DMR listing? unless I get the uprgade?

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I searched my county (Lucas, Ohio) and saw a lot listed for DMR. Does that mean I will not be able to monitor any of those frequencies listed in the DMR listing? unless I get the uprgade?
You will need to purchase the DMR upgrade to monitor those frequencies.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

A better place to look is in the RR database. Lots of DMR. I only see one NXDN system.

The Digital Frequency Search website is great, but it only shows who is *licensed* to use DMR/NXDN/P25. In most cases a very high percentage of those entities are still using analog. You will also see a lot of licenses that show DMR and NXDN, but the chances a licensee will use both are pretty slim.

It also depends on what you want to listen to. There are some public safety agencies in the US using DMR, but as a rule it tends to be things like highway departments, transportation authorities, schools, and businesses. That seems to be the case in your county.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
A better place to look is in the RR database. Lots of DMR. I only see one NXDN system.

The Digital Frequency Search website is great, but it only shows who is *licensed* to use DMR/NXDN/P25. In most cases a very high percentage of those entities are still using analog. You will also see a lot of licenses that show DMR and NXDN, but the chances a licensee will use both are pretty slim.

It also depends on what you want to listen to. There are some public safety agencies in the US using DMR, but as a rule it tends to be things like highway departments, transportation authorities, schools, and businesses. That seems to be the case in your county.

Ditto in my area. DMR is a must-have option. Schools (& buses) and local government, hospitals, businesses, tow trucks, etc., mall security and some hams. DMR is getting to be the norm around here. Lots to listen to.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
On this web site in database find your state , then county and scroll down the towns and watch the right slide for users "DMR"

Xray

You do know these are out of stock at most retailers, right ?
They are anticipating some units being available mid month, which will likely quickly sell out with pre orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.