Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) - Master Thread

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
2400f0DREGIONAL 1ICI Regional Interop 1
Looks like this talkgroup on the ICIS systems is patched to LA-RICS Talkgroup 318 Aero Bureau Dispatch. Correct me if I am wrong. I was listening to both at the same time.

dmullen1373

2400f0DREGIONAL 1ICI Regional Interop 1
Looks like this talkgroup on the ICIS systems is patched to LA-RICS Talkgroup 318 Aero Bureau Dispatch. Correct me if I am wrong. I was listening to both at the same time.
Which site were you listening to? For ICI?

brendan3

Hey just jumping on this bandwagon as I was looking at scanning LACOFD next month while I'm in LA. I see that there are 400Mhz future use channels listed in the DB with a time line of the second half 2023. Has this change occured yet? Thanks!

Engine104

Member since 2005
Hey just jumping on this bandwagon as I was looking at scanning LACOFD next month while I'm in LA. I see that there are 400Mhz future use channels listed in the DB with a time line of the second half 2023. Has this change occured yet? Thanks!
Not yet.. The old ones still are in use. There has been intermittent testing on some of the new UHF frequencies, but they have not changed their band plan yet.

Chuy_01

Premium Subscriber
LASD Disp 13 - Norwalk / Pico Rivera (483.7625) currently has an automated voice repeating a bunch of phrases, does anyone know if they've switched over to LARICS?

monitor142

Typically when you hear the Harvard sentences being read, the Motorola field engineers are conducting coverage testing, BER testing, and simulcast sync testing. It may become a conventional resource for LA RICS use once LASD is fully cutover to the trunked system.

Same testing that we are seeing on the conventional overlays and mutual aid channels at this time.

garretk

Hopefully in California, Senate Bill SB719 will be passed and taken into effect on January 2024 where law enforcement are required to either unencrypt non-tactical radio communications, stream communications online or also but unlikely allow purchase of equipment to scan encrypted communications. Law enforcement agencies are arguing that removing encryption will have “significant burden to agencies that went to tremendous expense to obtain new technology or have previously encrypted their communications.” We all know it’s BS because many if not all agencies that did encrypt their systems was all done by a click of a button in adding keys to their digital frequencies and it do not have any cost in replacing any equipmen if they decrypt.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
@garretk: I'm not going to derail this thread into yet another encryption debate, so I'll just refer you to lots of other threads on the subject here and elsewhere for why your argument shows a misunderstanding of the actual work involved.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
We all know it’s BS because many if not all agencies that did encrypt their systems was all done by a click of a button in adding keys to their digital frequencies and it do not have any cost in replacing any equipmen if they decrypt.
I would love to learn how to add 8 AES-256 and 12 DES encryption keys to 36 radios with "a click of a button", without the benefit of OTAR - which even then requires interaction on the subscriber side.

Edit: After considering this, could you provide us all a link, or a PDF of Documentation from Motorola, Kenwood, Harris, et. al, that provides instructions on how to click a button to accomplish this?

Last edited:

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully in California, Senate Bill SB719 will be passed and taken into effect on January 2024 where law enforcement are required to either unencrypt non-tactical radio communications, stream communications online or also but unlikely allow purchase of equipment to scan encrypted communications. Law enforcement agencies are arguing that removing encryption will have “significant burden to agencies that went to tremendous expense to obtain new technology or have previously encrypted their communications.” We all know it’s BS because many if not all agencies that did encrypt their systems was all done by a click of a button in adding keys to their digital frequencies and it do not have any cost in replacing any equipmen if they decrypt.
I think this bill was already shot down months ago or even a year ago. This is old news.

garretk

I would love to learn how to add 8 AES-256 and 12 DES encryption keys to 36 radios with "a click of a button", without the benefit of OTAR - which even then requires interaction on the subscriber side.

Edit: After considering this, could you provide us all a link, or a PDF of Documentation from Motorola, Kenwood, Harris, et. al, that provides instructions on how to click a button to accomplish this?
I happen to have Motorola's CPS program with Advanced Keys Administrators. Programming keys is very easy to do for an experienced programmer as Motorola themselves create the actual AES-256 key and they just mail it to the agency's programmer. The programmer reads the key and assigns the key to specific channels, talk groups, and radios. Then from there, it's just cloning the program into the radios. Whether or not they use OTAR it's up to the agency as I believe is a feature that needs to be purchased from Motorola. However, they have key loaders that can easily program the radios whether they use the KVL 5000 key loader or they have a programming wire that they plug into their laptop. Yes, it just takes labor to manually program each radio but as you said 36 radios and it's as easy as writing the program into the radios after they have it all preprogrammed and ready to clone. Shouldnt take more than a day if they have all 36 radios in front of the programmer. Obviously, it's not just a single button click but if they have OTAR I'm sure it's actually one button. Here is a pdf of part of the Advanced Key Administrator software tutorial and there is a screenshot of the CPS that I use to program Motorola XTS and APX radios. It's not the entire programming instructions because there is a lot to learn. I'm not going to provide the entire instructions but just want to give you a taste make you happy since you think I have no idea what I'm talking about. Screenshot 2023-09-09 014818.pngScreenshot 2023-09-09 020444.pngScreenshot 2023-08-28 025548.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-09 014818.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-09 014818.png
    436.8 KB · Views: 13