LWIN Coverage in TX and MS

teebee

Is the LWIN System connected or tied in with TxWarn and MSWIN systems in TX and MS or some other sytems in those two states. Reason I ask several times I have heard AirMed from Louisiana fly to Houston and Jackson, MS Hospitals for transfers and while in those ares are talking to thier dispatchers on the AirMed Ops 1 channel.
I have also recently heard a firemen from one of the Beauregard Parish Fire Depts. talking on LWIN to another unit/dispatch while he was on the other side of Orange, TX.
Some how they are using those repeaters/sites to be able to communicate on LWIN from that distance.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Not directly per se

Patches are more patches. Pafford uses VHF patched into LWIN last I checked. They are also patched into AWIN and MSWIN (I assume) just the same. Also the State systems usually have a way to patch talkgroups between systems. I've heard Air Evac doin flights around Pine Bluff (AR) on the LWIN channel and then do an AWIN test with a "loud and clear." I've also heard a LWIN user wait for a "dispatcher" on MSWIN to patch them in, get confirmation, and start talking to someone in east MS.

I don't hear it often up here, but it does happen. The most interesting thing is actually listening to the VHF channels Pafford and Air Evac have and listening to them communicate seemingly no matter where they go.

SDR made this possible to "see" this in real time. Before that I always thought my HP2 was showing the wrong tg sometimes. Now I know a patch just got activated that I couldn't see otherwise.

D4chaplain

Premium Subscriber
The states can patch talkgroups to other talkgroup. As far as going into another system area, i assume they thought ahead and have the channels needed programmed into the radios for those systems. During the gulf spill, they had people talkting to someone in mobile while the other was in galveston.