Mapping radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

lndshrk

Guys,

Back in the days yonder (the 7202 group) a few used to map radios.

Anyone care to share any from the SL valley?

I was running Unitrunker on my GRE 500 and watched someone "join" every TG in succession on a RID ending in 403.

(Either they were mapping it, or someone was having fun - looks like it was a Murray PD radio, although I'm not that skilled with Unitrunker)

This is what you do when your wife is in the hospital and they won't let you visit

So, are there any maps to share? (Privately of course)

Thanks,

Jim C. (aka LNDSHRK)

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Generally this has been an open information sharing group and things like radio maps and RIDs have been shared freely. Not sure why they would need to be private anyway.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I can only speak for myself,,,, I got concerned/tired of new folks popping on, just long enough, to ask/wanting for all the information I've accumulated during my monitoring. In the past, there were several of us sharing information back and forth. If it is in the Database, fine. Info is there, do your own research. And,,, many of the systems were fresh on the air, so collaboration was needed to figure out.

lndshrk

No offense my friend, but I've been on since the days of the Yahoo 7202 group - where my Yahoo email was (before I finally deleted it) lndshrk@yahoo.com. When you basically had to undergo a background check and a rectal exam before being "allowed" on the Yahoo group.

I was one of "those guys". Helped map out the WVC "bravo" channels. That was about 12 years ago. We got 1,2,5,6,7.

57888, 58240, 58272, 58304, and 58080 respectively. Bravo 5 is listed in the DB as "WVC P25"

Never did find B3 or B4 and they are pretty silent now. Back in 2008/9 they weren't.

I can't remember which of the guys live(s/d) next to 114S at around 700W, before the road went through - over the river, but I bought my first "tapped" scanner from him. That would have been between 2000 and 2004. If you asked me who(m) I'd say I can't remember - I do remember running it into my sound card though.

In any case, I didn't want to post some of the groups I've found publicly, especially with the "stuff" that's currently going on. I *did* want to see if anyone had up to date radio maps because I like my scanner "correct".

You know - when someone says "switch to 4" - I actually like to see if come up as XYZ PD4 - C2C - or whatever.

You did however bring up a valid point - why haven't I been "active" since about 2008 (9 in private messages).

I could say it was: a son, a big deal closing, a supercar bought, a divorce, meeting "the one", a supercar sold, a marriage, vacations, a move, more vacations, and all sorts of things - they're all true.

But... no, it wasn't them. There is a dichotomy among scanner enthusiasts (like all radio enthusiasts).

Some are open and inviting (like qlajlu)

Others want to chastise you for NOT posting something publicly and then chastise you for posting it (tactical/surveillance TG's) publicly when you do.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

I had a reason to ask for a SLC radio map, I'll put it in the right thread.

I can only speak for myself,,,, I got concerned/tired of new folks popping on, just long enough, to ask/wanting for all the information I've accumulated during my monitoring. In the past, there were several of us sharing information back and forth. If it is in the Database, fine. Info is there, do your own research. And,,, many of the systems were fresh on the air, so collaboration was needed to figure out.

N7YUO

Why doesn't anyone post (publicly) radio maps?
Short answer: To protect the person who is assigned the radio being mapped.
The system can record what channels every radio switches to.
So, if a radio map is made public, records can be checked to see who's radio was mapped.

Some history on this.
Before the Winter Olympics, Rocky Mountain Radio Association had a public scanner group.
There was some discussion about the ID's of the Olympic radios.
A local, who was working with the Olympics, was very openly hostile to RMRA about this.
The RMRA closed their scanner group, and created the "closed" 7202 Group.
In the 7202 Group, we could freely discuss Olympics and other sensitive info.
Members who were in Law Enforcement, (LE) freely posted maps of their radios.

After the Olympics, this local who was hostile before the Olympics, petitioned to join the group.
Considering his previous hostility, I voted to disallow him joining.
But he became a member, and never contributed anything to the forum.

Then, a SLCO radio map was posted by a member who was issued a new one for SAR.
Shortly after posting his radio map, he posted another message.
Warning us that he had been confronted offline about a "conflict of interest"
After that, no one in L.E. posted any more radio maps.

No one will admit who it was that confronted our SAR member, but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
It reminds me of the song "The Snake" "You knew dern well I was a snake before you let me in."

Conclusion: If you have radio maps or other sensitive information to share,
I recommend you do it privately, in person, not in any public forum.
The snake is still out there.

lndshrk

You made my point more eloquently than I could.

(and I'm happy to privately share anything I have)

To me, radio maps are more about having channel numbers correct (Yes, OCD)

Anything else can be more easily derived from SIGINT using (now Uni)trunker.

I'm a public person whether I like it or not. Anyone can feel free to google me:

(Real name: Jim Conforti)

Unless you really really like cars you're going to get bored quickly.

My ugly mug is currently the first two hits in images

(Yes, my old house was the one closest to the 2010 Herriman file that DID NOT get burned - 17 feet if I remember correctly - and defended by neighbors as UFA had abandoned our neighborhood)

I must have missed all the drama around the Olympics - I worked at the U and worked from home most of the time waiting for the thing to end - was graciously a member with my former yahoo email address.

THAT SAID - IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW THE SLC CHANNELS on AC33 just got REARRANGED....

<big grin>

I mean, they moved 1024 to "3" as Central Dispatch - they had to renumber SOMETHING.

(If anyone from SLPD is reading - couldn't they have thought of a "good" name for Central - just doesn't have the ring of "Liberty" or "Pioneer")

Why doesn't anyone post (publicly) radio maps?
Short answer: To protect the person who is assigned the radio being mapped.
The system can record what channels every radio switches to.
So, if a radio map is made public, records can be checked to see who's radio was mapped.

Some history on this.
Before the Winter Olympics, Rocky Mountain Radio Association had a public scanner group.
There was some discussion about the ID's of the Olympic radios.
A local, who was working with the Olympics, was very openly hostile to RMRA about this.
The RMRA closed their scanner group, and created the "closed" 7202 Group.
In the 7202 Group, we could freely discuss Olympics and other sensitive info.
Members who were in Law Enforcement, (LE) freely posted maps of their radios.

After the Olympics, this local who was hostile before the Olympics, petitioned to join the group.
Considering his previous hostility, I voted to disallow him joining.
But he became a member, and never contributed anything to the forum.

Then, a SLCO radio map was posted by a member who was issued a new one for SAR.
Shortly after posting his radio map, he posted another message.
Warning us that he had been confronted offline about a "conflict of interest"
After that, no one in L.E. posted any more radio maps.

No one will admit who it was that confronted our SAR member, but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
It reminds me of the song "The Snake" "You knew dern well I was a snake before you let me in."

Conclusion: If you have radio maps or other sensitive information to share,
I recommend you do it privately, in person, not in any public forum.
The snake is still out there.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I don't think anyone got mad at you. We welcome inquiries (most of the time), and really welcome input/updates to the forum and database.

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
THAT SAID - IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW THE SLC CHANNELS on AC33 just got REARRANGED....

<big grin>

I mean, they moved 1024 to "3" as Central Dispatch - they had to renumber SOMETHING.

(If anyone from SLPD is reading - couldn't they have thought of a "good" name for Central - just doesn't have the ring of "Liberty" or "Pioneer")

From monitoring since July 1st when the switch was made almost daily for hours, I haven't seen any changes. The TG that became "Central" was Tac 3 so I am assuming they just abandoned it as rarely used and other options available.

lndshrk

I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly.

From memory

Old:

1 Pioneer
2 Liberty
3 car to car
4 service
[....]
8 Motorcycles
10 Tac3

New

1) Pio
2) Liberty
3) Central

What happened to the numbering if the old #3 (car to car/etc)

From monitoring since July 1st when the switch was made almost daily for hours, I haven't seen any changes. The TG that became "Central" was Tac 3 so I am assuming they just abandoned it as rarely used and other options available.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
My guess is, the only thing that has changed is the name/title of the what was called TAC3. The dial number is still the same, just the name and use has changed. TAC3 is no more. Numbering stays the same, just the name has been changed to protect the innocent. My guess.

N7YUO

Google Drive would allow us to share files and folders
without having to post them on a public forum,
and without having to meet in person.

GL Davis and I met recently to exchange info that we compiled.

Both he and I have some radio maps
I put those and much more into a folder on Google Drive.

Members that I know can request access.
PM me with your email.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - I also belonged to the 7202 years ago. One of the new tactics is to issue handheld radio's to a department and they are just a bank of
radios. The get swapped around all the time. If a radio has to go to the shop it is replaced with a working radio and the broken radio is repaired
and passed to the next department who is in need. In my area there are no fixed radios in the patrol vehicles. Further, each fire station is issued
a bank of radios. Whoever is handling radio traffic for the call they are on uses a handheld before the mounted radio's. Makes it very hard to track in any case. Sorry for the unfortunate news

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I had to read this three times, to make sure I understood what you were saying (not due to your writing, but more to my not finishing my morning coffee yet). The talk groups will (should) remain the same, as well as the channel numbers on the radio, that stay with the same organization. The swapping of radios may confuse the RID info, if that is being tracked. Not all the radios in the state are programmed with the same info (you know this, I'm aware). I am just a person with radios and time on his hands, not affiliated with anyone, any group, or organization. I just listen.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I might have stumbled upon someone "mapping" a radio.

7202-Davis Co Simo- rid-9xxxx

layton fd-01
lakeview hosp
rgnl-sl
rgnl-nw
layton fd-01
dco fd rit
lz-2
sunset fd
layton fd 01
dco ops-02
dco fd rit
event-16
event-01
wbrco fd-02
ut eoc-1
dco eoc
layton fd-01
hosp commn
pionr vly
imed hosp
rgnl nw
rgnl ne
laytn fd-01
layton pd-2
dco ops-05
dco ops-04
dco sar
Over ten years off and on monitoring, this is the second time I've come across this.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I have Unitrunker following three different systems in the Salt Lake/Davis Co area, and it takes me several hours to go thru the info that was collected during the night. I am starting a "new" database, so there is a lot to do. I have ID'ed some talkgroups to add to the a couple of the Utah systems (UCAN, and I'll be submitting them shortly. (That should be enough Utah info to make N7YUO ungrouchy ;) )
Also, TG 10112 is Great Salt Lake SAR (Search and Rescue)

lndshrk

If I can find it, I have one of these in my recent unitrunker logs. Same RID switching to many TG's. I know it wasn't my kid, because we haven't been over to my buddies house in a while. Zach gets to play with the lights and siren.

Status
Not open for further replies.