Maricopa County new P25 system

N9JIG

Sheriff
I feel that the Maricopa County Probation Department and the Sun City West Sheriff's Posse talkgroups should be under their own separate entries, rather than included under the MCSO entry.

I also feel that the Flood Control District of Maricopa County should be under its own entry, rather than under Miscellaneous as it is now.

For Probation, I have seen TG's 1101-1108, plus 1110, which I believe is a Tac or Warrant Service TG. I believe these are Adult Probation TG's. I have also seen TG's 2501 and 2502. I believe these are Juvenile Probation. There is patching going on between them. I saw 2502 patched to 1104, I believe it was.

Just some observations and thoughts.

John
Peoria

Please submit them and the Admins will get them worked.

If there are multiple TG's for a group then it would likely be worthy of it's own group but a single talkgroup is probably better off as part of a "Misc" type group, otherwise the system gets unwieldy with many single-talkgroup groups. Flood Control probably has more talkgroups than just 1301, when more are identified it can be broken off into its own.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a better list of MCSO talk groups than what the database is showing? Several of the talk groups have non-descript names like "sheriff" or "ops" or "unk". I'm hoping that someone has better talk group descriptions than this by now. I just haven't had the time lately for enough listening to properly name talk groups.

mmiosi

N9PKS
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a better list of MCSO talk groups than what the database is showing? Several of the talk groups have non-descript names like "sheriff" or "ops" or "unk". I'm hoping that someone has better talk group descriptions than this by now. I just haven't had the time lately for enough listening to properly name talk groups.

I have been listening every day and night East has been jumping from 1001 to 1005 1008 or 1007 to 1005 1008. 1002 is West off white tanks. I have my G5 scanning 1000 to 1008 looking for ID's right now 1001 East is transmitting with ID.

p19997

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a better list of MCSO talk groups than what the database is showing?
Unfortunately, the figuring out of this system is coming slow, so things are still fluid. Given the patching and switching that I have observed, I am coming around to the belief that some have that 1001 through 1007 are district-oriented dispatch channels. This could be wrong, but if correct it would make:

1001 Southeast (A.J., Chandler, Gilbert, Guadalupe, Sun Lakes, Tempe, etc.),

1002 Southwest (Litchfield Park, Tonopah, etc.),

1003, Northwest (Sun City, Wickenburg, etc.),

1004 Northeast (Cave Creek, Carefree, Anthem, New River, etc.),

1005 Lakes,

1006 Queen Creek & Parks, and

1007 Fountain Hills.

1009 is Central

1022 is TAC 1 (encrypted)

KB7MIB

I agree mostly with p19997.

1001 District 1, Southeast
1002 District 2, Southwest
1003 District 3, Northwest
1004 District 4, Northeast
1005 District 5, Lake Patrol
1006 District 6, Queen Creek
1007 District 7, Fountain Hills
1008 District 8, Mountain (Parks & Trails)
1009 Central and Information (I've heard at least one firearm serial number being run for 10-29 on here, so I believe it's pulling double duty.)

I also have TG 1000 programmed, supposedly outside agencies to MCSO, but I haven't seen it active.

There is a lot of patching/multiselecting going on. Both of the West districts can sometimes be heard on either 1002 or 1003, and which TG you hear them both on may change during the course of the day.
The same goes for the East, Lakes, and Mountain TG's. Lots of patching/multiselecting. This is going to cause more than a little confusion and consternation for awhile, while we try to figure this all out.

For the time being, the above list is how I have programmed my 100.

I am still having some reception problems. White Tanks is the best decode, but even that has some flashing of the two West TG's. It's best if I sit on one TG, but that's not conducive to figuring out the system.

John
Peoria

Last edited:

p19997

Premium Subscriber
1009 Central and Information (I've heard at least one firearm serial number being run for 10-29 on here, so I believe it's pulling double duty.)
Thanks for your tip on Mountain (Parks) being on 1008.

Based on a transmission I heard, I am pretty sure 1011 is Information (encrypted). The Central channel has a real hodge-podge of user types, and some of these can have a need to run 10-29's. Perhaps they should have switched to the Information channel or maybe some user types are not allowed to use it.

Disk4mat

My many thanks to you all for putting in all this effort and work (y)

I dont know that it will help any but Ive uploaded recordings for some ID's not listed on the DB yet.
MCSO P25

Disk4mat

Quick question hoping there is some rhyme or reason. For the last 2 solid hours I havent gotten a single transmission on the new system. Happened last weekend also. The only thing I can come up with is that since I can only receive 3 sites, that all the traffic moves to the other sites I cant reach. Does that seem possible?

I receive on Chandler/Mesa Sim... South East Mesa Sim and sometimes on Thompson Peak.

mmiosi

N9PKS
Premium Subscriber
Quick question hoping there is some rhyme or reason. For the last 2 solid hours I havent gotten a single transmission on the new system. Happened last weekend also. The only thing I can come up with is that since I can only receive 3 sites, that all the traffic moves to the other sites I cant reach. Does that seem possible?

I receive on Chandler/Mesa Sim... South East Mesa Sim and sometimes on Thompson Peak.
1005 on Thompson Peak right now.

Disk4mat

Thanks @mmiosi Still not getting anything. If I park on a ID every now and then I see DAT displayed but no audio. Just to rule out user error Im going to reset my scanner and reupload my db.

Edit: Finally got a hit!

Last edited:

mmiosi

N9PKS
Premium Subscriber
Thanks @mmiosi Still not getting anything. If I park on a ID every now and then I see DAT displayed but no audio. Just to rule out user error Im going to reset my scanner and reupload my db.
I'm scanning on my G5 1001 to 1008 24/7 on Thompson Peak hearing 1001 1004 1005 and my G4 White Tank 1002 1003

Disk4mat

Thanks @mmiosi Moved my antenna and now Im getting hits again. Also I got my first SPD hit. I hadnt noticed but I wasnt getting Scottsdale PD either until now. Definitely a user issue :whistle:

N9JIG

Sheriff

If there are no radios affiliated to the site(s) you are listening to this might happen. This would mean there are no county units in that area. If that is what is happening you should still be able to see the control channel operations. On a scanner it would show signal strength even with no voice traffic. If you stop on the control channel your scanner should identify the site number and system ID.

UniTrunker and Pro96Com will allow you to record data on the sites you can hear and log activity such as affiliations, channel grants and patches. Even if there is no voice activity there may well be some of this type of stuff happening.

Disk4mat

If there are no radios affiliated to the site(s) you are listening to this might happen. This would mean there are no county units in that area. If that is what is happening you should still be able to see the control channel operations. On a scanner it would show signal strength even with no voice traffic. If you stop on the control channel your scanner should identify the site number and system ID.

Thats exactly whats happening. I can see signal bars popping and no voice. Your explanation made perfect sense, thanks (y)

Astrak

If you're not getting a solid DAT your scanner is not decoding the control channel and you won't hear any traffic.

4-crime

I am not currently in Arizona, has MCSO switched over to the Phase II system fully? Or are they utilizing both the old and new systems?

Also, does anyone happen to know the band plan info for the new system? Planning on visiting in the next month or so, so I’d like to give it a listen while Im out there.