Maricopa County new P25 system

N9JIG

Sheriff
It appears that all the operations have moved over to the new system.
It is a standard P25 Phase 2 system, so enter it as such in the scanner, no additional band plan info is needed. The freqs etc. are in the database.

4-crime

It is a standard P25 Phase 2 system, so enter it as such in the scanner, no additional band plan info is needed. The freqs etc. are in the database.

Thank you very much.

mlipovitch

Marc Rph.
I have both a Pro-668 and a GRE-800 freshly library-updated. I hear virtually nothing in Maricopa county, just mainly some analog stuff. Occasionally a DPS broadcast, no digital Phx PD/Mesa Scottsdale or anything else. I've tried setting the DSP threshold to 52 as another recommended on another group, not sure what I'm doing wrong here? My understanding is that these scanners are Apco Phase II compatible already, which our RWC seems to use now? Kinda annoying, Broadcastify much more active! Sold off the rest of my collection including several Unidens (396T/XT, Pro-106, PSR-500, etc). Those were worthless out here all of a sudden!
Marc

rwier

Premium Subscriber

Hi Rich! As to the Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC): Is it correct that TGs 2864, 2865 (Mutual Aid/Intersystem Talkgroups, MCSO to All Valley Police Departments Link) and 1565 (Maricopa County Talkgroups, EOC), as being integral to the RWC, would remain unchanged? Thanks!

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have both a Pro-668 and a GRE-800 freshly library-updated. I hear virtually nothing in Maricopa county, just mainly some analog stuff. Occasionally a DPS broadcast, no digital Phx PD/Mesa Scottsdale or anything else. I've tried setting the DSP threshold to 52 as another recommended on another group, not sure what I'm doing wrong here? My understanding is that these scanners are Apco Phase II compatible already, which our RWC seems to use now? Kinda annoying, Broadcastify much more active! Sold off the rest of my collection including several Unidens (396T/XT, Pro-106, PSR-500, etc). Those were worthless out here all of a sudden!
Marc

As long as the PRO668 nd PSR800 are up to date with firmware and data they should work fine for the Maricopa County system as well as the other digital systems in the area.

Mke sure that the database is up to date and recreate your Scanlists so that they are current, if you are using old data they will not work.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Hi Rich! As to the Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC): Is it correct that TGs 2864, 2865 (Mutual Aid/Intersystem Talkgroups, MCSO to All Valley Police Departments Link) and 1565 (Maricopa County Talkgroups, EOC), as being integral to the RWC, would remain unchanged? Thanks!

I have not heard of any changes to the RWC as a result of the MCSO switching to their new system. I suspect that the links in place would just point to the appropriate MCSO talkgroups on the new system.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Got a few new talkgroups today.

1103, 1105 and 1107 were noted as used by Probation officers. 2501 sounds like they are Juvenile Probation but were occasionally linked to 1101 and 1105. I have noticed that all seem to be odd numbers, so I wonder if that was just what I could hear or if they are keeping the even numbers in reserve or something.

1636 and 1637 were heard in use by Detention officers but I was unable to pinpoint the facilities.

mlipovitch

Marc Rph.
As long as the PRO668 nd PSR800 are up to date with firmware and data they should work fine for the Maricopa County system as well as the other digital systems in the area.

Mke sure that the database is up to date and recreate your Scanlists so that they are current, if you are using old data they will not work.
Thank you I will double-check everything!

Disk4mat

1103, 1105 and 1107 were noted as used by Probation officers. 2501 sounds like they are Juvenile Probation but were occasionally linked to 1101 and 1105. I have noticed that all seem to be odd numbers, so I wonder if that was just what I could hear or if they are keeping the even numbers in reserve or something.

1636 and 1637 were heard in use by Detention officers but I was unable to pinpoint the facilities.
Ive been getting a couple even numbers. 1102 & 1104. I caught a 1636 where the officer said "going to Estrella 447 inaudible"... I added todays recordings to the DBox link I posted earlier.

KB7MIB

1636 and 1637 should be inmate transport. I think I've also heard references to downtown deputies on at least one of them.

John
Peoria

mlipovitch

Marc Rph.
I guess I need a little programming help/advice regarding the Pro-668. I do plan on sending this and a GRE PSR-800 to Whistler for their firmware upgrade(s), but in the meantime I wanted to see if I can program these things for any meaningful content. I "created" my own 12 playlists, deleted the default (Law Tac, Fire/EMS etc.) listings since some of them appeared duplicate to my playlists. Thing is, I hear no PD traffic other than occasional MCSO, no Glendale, no PhxPD, no nothing...Fire seems to come up (dispatch and a few of the "decks" for Phx fire). Anyone in the Maricopa County area with some advice would be greatly appreciated! (EZ-Scan screenshots would help or just some friendly advice..like find someone who knows what they are doing with this obfuscated scanner LOL)!

Marc

N9JIG

Sheriff
I guess I need a little programming help/advice regarding the Pro-668. I do plan on sending this and a GRE PSR-800 to Whistler for their firmware upgrade(s), but in the meantime I wanted to see if I can program these things for any meaningful content. I "created" my own 12 playlists, deleted the default (Law Tac, Fire/EMS etc.) listings since some of them appeared duplicate to my playlists. Thing is, I hear no PD traffic other than occasional MCSO, no Glendale, no PhxPD, no nothing...Fire seems to come up (dispatch and a few of the "decks" for Phx fire). Anyone in the Maricopa County area with some advice would be greatly appreciated! (EZ-Scan screenshots would help or just some friendly advice..like find someone who knows what they are doing with this obfuscated scanner LOL)!

Marc

It appears that you are getting a couple systems mixed up. The system discussed in this thread is the Maricopa County system used by the Sheriff, Probation and other County departments.

The cities of Phoenix and Glendale use a different system called the RWC that, while using similar technology, is a separate system altogether.

If the database and firmware is up to date on the PSR800 (I have no experience with the PRO668) then you should be able to create a Scanlist with the local systems but be sure to leave the Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch etc. service types in place. You can always lock out channels of no interest later.

Also, since the County system is still being documented be sure to update the radio often as the database will be changing. The data is loaded to the servers on Sundays so be sure to update the radio Mondays. The RWC system used by Phoenix and many suburbs is more mature and less prone to major changes.

KB7MIB

Marc

This thread is for Maricopa County's trunked system, used by MCSO and other county agencies:

Here is the TOPAZ Regional Wireless Cooperative (TOPAZ RWC), used by Mesa, Gilbert and Apache Junction PD's, Mesa FD's Regional Dispatch Center, and other city departments in those cities. It is primarily still a P25 Phase I system, with the exception of some testing:

Here is the Regional Wireless Cooperative, used by Central and West Valley municipal PD's, Phoenix FD's Regional Dispatch Center, and other city departments from Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, and to the west of them. It is also a P25 Phase I system, with only a few Phase II testing talkgroups:

If you have questions about the RWC or TOPAZ RWC, you can start a new thread. However, one of the problems with both systems is the simulcast issues. I have a GRE PSR-500, and it simply cannot receive any audio off of any of the simulcast sites. This may be your problem as well. It's why I finally bought a Uniden SDS-100, and now I can hear the simulcast sites. You may need to upgrade to an SDS-100 or SDS-200 yourself.

John
Peoria

mlipovitch

Marc Rph.
Thank you John and everyone else! I suspected I have my scanlists mixed up...also I had a GRE 500 just sold it on ebay along with several Uniden 396T/XT that are now defunct out here as well. Seems like they still command a decent buck, I came out alright! Might be scoring an SDS100 at some point, although my thought process is to not spend $650+ on a scanner...
M

N9JIG

Sheriff
Any activity left at all on the old P-16 system? I don't hear the local sites control channels from here but cannot hear the sites to the east.

If there is a consensus that it is gone I can deprecate the system and remove it from display.

p19997

Premium Subscriber
If there is a consensus that it is gone I can deprecate the system and remove it from display.
It may be a good idea to keep it around for reference until the new talkgroups corresponding to all (or most) old talkgroups have been identified.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I do have an issue with marking the talkgroups as deprecated since one can no longer see the Service Types assigned to the old system. I find them useful in working the new system. I understand that was the right thing to do but I wish I had saved a copy of the system before they were deprecated.

I was thinking of leaving the system visible but removing the link from the top of the county page when we know it is all offline.

N9JIG

Sheriff
1052 and 1053 is the Sheriff Training facility doing on-air training. Occasional encryption heard as well.

Last edited: