Marshall Co Programing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab8ab

I am trying program my pro652 for Marshall Co. I have added for the control groups St Joe & Ohio Co,
and all the freqs. for those groups. No luck in receiving signals.
Any Suggestions??

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have all of the information I need. I usually use ARC500 to do my programming. If you download and installed ARC500 for the free trial period, I will create an ARC500 file for you to program your scanner with Marshall and Ohio Counties. Once your scanner is programmed, you can download programming from your scanner using Win500 and save it as a Win500 file. If you have any problems, I can program my Pro-197 with ARC500 and convert it to a Win500 file using the same procedure.

ab8ab

I have all of the information I need. I usually use ARC500 to do my programming. If you download and installed ARC500 for the free trial period, I will create an ARC500 file for you to program your scanner with Marshall and Ohio Counties. Once your scanner is programmed, you can download programming from your scanner using Win500 and save it as a Win500 file. If you have any problems, I can program my Pro-197 with ARC500 and convert it to a Win500 file using the same procedure.
Very nice of you to help. ARC500 is now installed. I have things somewhat working; but, still missing some calls when compaired to Broadcastify on-line listening. I entered only Ohio Co control & left out Marshall Co Control (St Joe).

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have both St Joseph and Ohio Co sites in a single system. Copy the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500. Under the Scanner tab, Upload to Scanner. Scan lists as follows:

1. Marshall Co Fire
2. MC Emergency Ops
3. Marshall Co Law
4. Marshall Co Misc
5. Ohio Co Fire
6. Wheeling Fire
7. OC Local Fire
8. OC Emergency Ops
9. Ohio Co Interop
10. Ohio Co Law
11. Ohio Co Misc
12. WV State Police

Attachments

• Marshall_Ohio Co.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 8

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you have problems with dropouts or garbled audio, try turning on the SuperTrack decoding algorithm. Ohio County is a simulcast site and sometimes SuperTrack works better.

Update: In the previous post, I attached a new file with SuperTrack on.

Last edited:

ab8ab

If you have problems with dropouts or garbled audio, try turning on the SuperTrack decoding algorithm. Ohio County is a simulcast site and sometimes SuperTrack works better.

Update: In the previous post, I attached a new file with SuperTrack on.
Loaded your file into the scaanner - only picking up some calls, just like my programing with only Ohio Co.
somewhere the programming fails to include one or more frequencies assigned by control channel.
Thank you very much for your time & help. Enjoy Thanksgiving.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Loaded your file into the scaanner - only picking up some calls, just like my programing with only Ohio Co.
somewhere the programming fails to include one or more frequencies assigned by control channel.

P25 systems, as a general rule, do not require either a custom bandplan nor ALL of the frequencies to be programmed in. The only frequencies that need to be programmed in for each site are the listed control channels.
For Ohio Co that is 453.3375, 453.175, 453.3125 and 453.4375 . For Marshall Co that is 453.05 and 453.35. The bandplan and all of the other information needed for the scanner to properly track is transmitted over the active control channel for each site. Thus, no need for EVERY frequency to be programmed in.

Your scanner does not handle Simulcast sites well. Ohio Co 3-001 is a large simulcast cell with many sites in it. It may just be that you are suffering from distortion (common). The only scanners that can properly deal with simulcast distortion (if present) are Uniden SDS-100/200 and Unication pager/scanners. Any other "scanner" on the market will be hit or miss when it comes to monitoring simulcast systems.

What that means for you is that you may pick up conversations sometimes but may not pick up conversations at other times, or the conversations may be choppy/broken up or garbled. No amount of fiddling with frequencies or supertracker or anything will totally resolve that, if that is what is happening to you.

ab8ab

I am only interested in Marshall Co. I programed in only the control channels for Ohio Co since
Marshall Is using the Ohio Co. Control Channel, the Moundsville P25 tower is down - (see previous wv forum questions "what happened to Moundsville P25 Tower). I also added the 2 control channels for St JO. You did the same & both your programing & mine do not pick up all calls. It seems to me Radio Reference needs to update its database.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I am only interested in Marshall Co. I programed in only the control channels for Ohio Co since
Marshall Is using the Ohio Co. Control Channel, the Moundsville P25 tower is down - (see previous wv forum questions "what happened to Moundsville P25 Tower). I also added the 2 control channels for St JO. You did the same & both your programing & mine do not pick up all calls. It seems to me Radio Reference needs to update its database.

The database is up to date and correct. Hundreds of people have used it to program their scanners. Either it is a programming error/issue on your end, or your issue is simulcast distortion -- Please read this completely before jumping to conclusions about the database being wrong.

Mike

ab8ab

P25 systems, as a general rule, do not require either a custom bandplan nor ALL of the frequencies to be programmed in. The only frequencies that need to be programmed in for each site are the listed control channels.
For Ohio Co that is 453.3375, 453.175, 453.3125 and 453.4375 . For Marshall Co that is 453.05 and 453.35. The bandplan and all of the other information needed for the scanner to properly track is transmitted over the active control channel for each site. Thus, no need for EVERY frequency to be programmed in.

Your scanner does not handle Simulcast sites well. Ohio Co 3-001 is a large simulcast cell with many sites in it. It may just be that you are suffering from distortion (common). The only scanners that can properly deal with simulcast distortion (if present) are Uniden SDS-100/200 and Unication pager/scanners. Any other "scanner" on the market will be hit or miss when it comes to monitoring simulcast systems.

What that means for you is that you may pick up conversations sometimes but may not pick up conversations at other times, or the conversations may be choppy/broken up or garbled. No amount of fiddling with frequencies or supertracker or anything will totally resolve that, if that is what is happening to you.
Thanks for your help - have a great thanksgiving

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have the 6 control channel and alternate frequencies for the St Joseph and Ohio County sites in the Marshall/Ohio Co system. Multi-Site is set to Stationary so that it scans both sites. All of the talkgroups are present except those with full time encryption and public works. If you are having problems, I am certain that it is due to Ohio County being a Simulcast site. My Pro-197, your scanner's older brother, has problems receiving the Baltimore County simulcast system where I live. The only radios that work at my location are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 scanners and the Unication G4 and G5 pagers. If you upgrade to another radio, I will be glad to help with the programming. Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
The PRO-652 uses older technology - same design as the PRO-197 that I bought 9 years ago, and which didn't handle simulcast for me. If you are only interested in Marshall County anyway, try locking out or removing the frequencies for the Ohio County Simulcast site, leaving only St. Joe frequencies. Depending on their setup, you may lose the ability to monitor Ohio County deputies, EMS, and fire, so keep that in mind when comparing what you hear to the Broadcastify feed. I also don't know if you are close enough to St. Joe to receive it well. But when you try to monitor Ohio County Simulcast instead of St. Joe, you are monitoring perhaps the only SIRN site in WV that your scanner wasn't designed to handle.

ab8ab

- Thanks for your suggestion. However:

From another post ---->
Moundsville tower got changed to the Ohio County Simelcast tower so Marshall County now runs off Ohio Co. and St.Joesph

and from another post ---> The Moundsville site was merged into the Ohio County Simulcast (3-001).

fredva

Feed Provider
- Thanks for your suggestion. However:

From another post ---->
Moundsville tower got changed to the Ohio County Simelcast tower so Marshall County now runs off Ohio Co. and St.Joesph

and from another post ---> The Moundsville site was merged into the Ohio County Simulcast (3-001).
Ok, so my recommendation was to use St. Joseph. That still stands. It doesn't conflict with what other people have posted about Moundsville getting folded into Ohio County Simulcast. Don't use Ohio County, don't use Moundsville. Use a non-simulcast site in Marshall County (St. Joseph) to see if it works. When you said earlier you had Ohio County in but not St. Joe, you were doing the opposite of what your scanner was built to handle. Reverse that programming.

ab8ab

Just wondering - have you had any luck getting better reception?
Short of buying a new a new scanner, I will settle for what I can receive since the switch to the Simulacast tower - thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.