• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maxon CP-0520 UHF

KC0CCB

Premium Subscriber
hey everybody i was just wondering if anybody has any Ham Radio crystals for this Maxon handheld at all ?? i'm wondering if i could convert that radio to a ham portable if i can or if its too much money..

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
If it's the radio I think it is, that's a real blast from the past (about 40 years old). There's this one for sale on eBay. Do you know what range it is? I don't really remember, but the pic of the box suggests that the CTCSS was optional, too. I don't remember ever putting one on ham, but may not have tried, as I think I had synth radios by then, and the CP0520 was not built very well anyway. Not sure it was much better than the current crop of CCRs. I see a bunch of 460 xtals for it around here (anybody interested?), but nothing lower. Got charger and battery? I think they used the same battery as the Yaesu of that era. I'd go with something more modern (and synthesized).

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Bomar says they are "once again making radio crystals" and to contact them. My guess is you'll spend some coin for your crystals. Those Maxon radios were garbage when they were factory new. Known for drifting way off frequency, cranky TX/RX switching, and overall about the lowest cost cutter radio of the day. They actually make a $30 Bowelturd sound good.

I get it that there is a nostalgia factor here, but get ready for spending a few hours aligning that road apple radio, and it will probably not perform anywhere near spec. Other parts like electrolytic caps may need to be changed, as the radio is at least 30 or more years old, and again, they did not use the highest spec parts when new.

KC0CCB

Premium Subscriber
If it's the radio I think it is, that's a real blast from the past (about 40 years old). There's this one for sale on eBay. Do you know what range it is? I don't really remember, but the pic of the box suggests that the CTCSS was optional, too. I don't remember ever putting one on ham, but may not have tried, as I think I had synth radios by then, and the CP0520 was not built very well anyway. Not sure it was much better than the current crop of CCRs. I see a bunch of 460 xtals for it around here (anybody interested?), but nothing lower. Got charger and battery? I think they used the same battery as the Yaesu of that era. I'd go with something more modern (and synthesized).
i think as far as i know the freq coverage is 450 to 470 on the CP-0520... but i have a Maxon SP-5050HD on lowband VHF... i might be interested in getting a few pairs of those crystals... i think i have 464.500 or its 464.550 around here that i took out of a friends 0520 years ago.. could i PM you...?