• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera MD-UV390 encryption issue

naffMaster

Hello, I've recently boutght Tyt MD-UV390 10 watts version with AES256 encryption. It has a "AES256" sticker along with "Plus" in battery chamber, so I guess it's Plus version. AES256 doesn't work, neither do ARC4 and AES128. Enhanced and basic did their job well. Creating keys then changing them don't work.Everyone can hear the voice as if it were not encrypted. CPS v02.34. When trying to download "privacy", it downloads it correctly - name and type of enc is correct, although keys are blurred and protected. Where is the problem? Thanks for any advice.

Disclaimer: in my country, ham radio can use enc.

rf_patriot200

Hello, I've recently boutght Tyt MD-UV390 10 watts version with AES256 encryption. It has a "AES256" sticker along with "Plus" in battery chamber, so I guess it's Plus version. AES256 doesn't work, neither do ARC4 and AES128. Enhanced and basic did their job well. Creating keys then changing them don't work.Everyone can hear the voice as if it were not encrypted. CPS v02.34. When trying to download "privacy", it downloads it correctly - name and type of enc is correct, although keys are blurred and protected. Where is the problem? Thanks for any advice.

Disclaimer: in my country, ham radio can use enc.
What country would that be ?

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
In spite of What country you're in, U.K. or Ohio Encryption is not allowed on Amateur radio so Luckily the penalties for illegal communications falls solely on you, William.
Oh aren't you the radio police today. Who says he's encrypting on ham freqs? That radio is capable of far more than ham. I bought an 878 specifically for AES256 use, on a Part 90 system.

rf_patriot200

Oh aren't you the radio police today. Who says he's encrypting on ham freqs? That radio is capable of far more than ham. I bought an 878 specifically for AES256 use, on a Part 90 system.
Read his posts, then decide. Anyone using encryption on cheap chinacom radios should be your first clue.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Read his posts, then decide. Anyone using encryption on cheap chinacom radios should be your first clue.
Or, the service provider suggested it, as we aren't necessarily talking mission critical. (LE, Fire, etc) Many warehouse type and private companies have chosen to encrypt their company stuff.

rf_patriot200

Or, the service provider suggested it, as we aren't necessarily talking mission critical. (LE, Firre, etc) Many warehouse type and private companies have chosen to encrypt their company stuff.
Correct. As a former owner of a UV390, the radio is barely worth loading a codeplug into, much less any serious business applications, but I guess it's all in what you can afford if you're a small company or on a budget. I scrapped mine for the cells antenna and display for another project.

naffMaster

As I said before, in my country, encryption is not prohibited, nor restricted to any gov organisations. I've scanned through the main act establishing telecommunications law, and guess what. There is no word or any mention about it. Some ham radio has written to the main communications management organization, and they responded, that it is NOT prohibited.

Thanks to the mod for stopping offtopic discuss.

Louie7

Encryption is prohibited on all amateur radio frequencies in ALL countries, as radio amateurs have a global governance regarding encryption.

Now for the question, the AES 256, AES128 and RC4-40 encryption works very well on a UV390 MD (I have one).

You have to be careful: you have to SAVE twice (with the MDUV390 CPS).

In the AES and RC4 keys page, you have to click on Write at the bottom.
You then have to define on each channel the type of key used: Basic, Enhanced, Universal and choose the number of the key. If you want AES or RC4 you must use Universal type.

And then you have to save the whole thing by clicking on the arrow icon to radio.

If you do all these steps, it works very well.

Note that you don't need to save twice if you are using only Basic or Enhanced encryption as there is no write button at the bottom of the Basic/Enhanced page.

You must also put a key. For example, if you leave the key 0000000000 in RC4, there will be no encryption. you have to put at least a key at 1 : 0000000001

To activate the AES and RC4 keys page :

Last edited:

naffMaster

Encryption is prohibited on all amateur radio frequencies in ALL countries, as radio amateurs have a global governance regarding encryption.
FFS, prohibited no. Not recommended yes. One more time with this "prohibited" thing and I will link law act from my country.

Thank you for response, but unfortunately, this doesn't work. I've done everything as you guided, but there's no response at all. I have this "gray shield" which informs about enc, so I don't exactly know where the problem is.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
L. M. F. A. O.

This is categorically wrong.

Each country estaishes their own rules regarding amateur radio use. While they may be similar, they are not the same. The rules in Canada are VASTLY different than the USA for example.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Can we please get back to helping the OP? I said please.

How about we completely forget he mentioned ham radio and concentrate on the technical aspect of this.

naffMaster

Today I will try to read CPS, write keys, write CPS and write keys again to ensure they are loaded correctly. I think that keys are saved as multiple zeros, but I don't know why.
Moreover, I have written some days ago to TYT support, next step is just to wait.
More hints are very appreciated.

Louie7

For the MDUV390 which receiver do you use? Do you have a second MDUV390? Do you use something else (Motorola, Anytone)? Have you tested with DSD-FME if the MDUV390 sends an RC4 or AES PI HEADER for each TX?

Last edited:

naffMaster

I didn't test it with DSD-FME. I tested it by repeater with local talkgroups, in direct connection between me and my friend, and with my second radio DM 1701.

naffMaster

I tried everything. Even updated CPS to 02.37, changed settings, changed keys, nothing works.