Medina County 700 MHz P25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8vur

Feed Provider
Yes...this is exactly what I am experiencing! Only difference is that I am monitoring with a PRO-651 and a PRO-197.

This might be the rude awaking to the world of simulcast systems, boys! :) Are you sure that you're really getting no audio, versus the scanner is choking on getting audio from multiple sites? Because often that is exactly what it seems like - not necessarily Mr. Roboto but more like no audio or audio keeps dropping out even though you keep stopping on the TG.

From the south side of the hill in North Royalton, I can't find a single place in my house where I get a good solid decode on Medina because I'm hearing multiple sites.

YMMV, but here's what I generally do for simulcast systems... I find on the Pro-197 and Pro-652, I have the best luck when the squelch is wide open, the S meter is stable (not jumping around at all), and the "T" is mostly on steady, only blinking a short blink as it goes back to the top of the scan list. I also dedicate a scanner to the system because that might mean no antenna (in the case of GCRCN for me) or something stubby (MARCS-IP for me). So it becomes less useful for other stuff.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Wow, expected more. Keeping five channels with only 150 units will be an issue.

My thoughts exactly. Minimum quantity for a trunked license is typically 70 per channel (350 radios).

Their license shows 30 6.1 meter control stations and 1000 subscriber units. Awfully ambitious, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and guess that they're including Parma and Ottawa County as potential users, and planning to glom onto Lorain County, too.

Tom

GroverHill

700 mhz

when setting the 700 MHz for marcs are we going to half to have a band table like we did when 800 rebanded

budevans

when setting the 700 MHz for marcs are we going to half to have a band table like we did when 800 rebanded

No.

In general the following applies.
1. There's no rebanding required for 700 Mhz.
2. P25 systems can be setup to transmit any rebanding information if required.

Last edited:

MotorolaDave

It appears the Medina Sheriff has actually started using their new radios instead of just playing the UHF audio through the new 700mhz system.

In addition to the talkgroups already listed in the database, I have heard testing this afternoon on 3005 and 3006. No name was given for these talkgroups.

Radio ID's 5200021 and 5200023 appear to be dispatchers. It looks as if the last 3 digits of the portable radio ID issued to each deputy will correspond with his or her number used to call into dispatch (Deputy 159 has a radio ID of 5200159, Deputy 178 has a radio ID of 5200178). Maybe the mobile radios will somehow correspond with the car they are in, but I have not picked up a pattern on that as of yet.

I would assume the county fire departments will continue to use the UHF radios since they are all volunteer.

Lots of talk about radio techs being at the station so I am sure they are still working out all of the bugs.

MotorolaDave

It sounds like this radio system is giving Medina deputies nothing but problems. Many transmissions are inaudible and others don't go through at all. Haven't read anything in the paper about the issues, but deputies have no problem voicing their opinions over the air (rightfully so).

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
I agree there's a lot of inaudible traffic. I only listen to the FD, and assumed it was due to the P2 capabilities of the FD talkgroup. I assumed it was "choppy" to allow for slots on a given frequency.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Tons of new traffic this week on they P25 site. Several new P2 talkgroups with PD traffic. Audio is a bit choppy, so it is hard for me to make out who is using them:
3050 - mentioned Parkview

MotorolaDave

Tons of new traffic this week on they P25 site. Several new P2 talkgroups with PD traffic. Audio is a bit choppy, so it is hard for me to make out who is using them:
3050 - mentioned Parkview

After doing some listening and comparing, I have positively identified the following TG's.

3050 Medina City PD
3055 Brunswick/Brunswick Hills PD
3063 Wadsworth PD

These agencies have not actually switched radios yet. The UHF frequencies they used are being patched to the 700mhz trunking system. I will submit this info.

MotorolaDave

Medina City Police have moved over full time to this system and are using TG 3050. They are no longer using the old analog frequency of 460.4500.

MotorolaDave

Medina City Police switched over to the 700mhz system last Monday. Today they have an active shooter situation at the Medina Hospital. The 700mhz radios are failing to transmit and receive. There have been many issues including the 911 system going down. The sheriff's office has been using the 700mhz for quite a while now, so there has been lots of time to get the bugs out. Sounds like another failed system for Harris.

Nasby

Medina City Police switched over to the 700mhz system last Monday. Today they have an active shooter situation at the Medina Hospital. The 700mhz radios are failing to transmit and receive. There have been many issues including the 911 system going down. The sheriff's office has been using the 700mhz for quite a while now, so there has been lots of time to get the bugs out. Sounds like another failed system for Harris.

Medina should have done coverage testing before switching over and investing in a poor system.
That's what they get for dropping the ball.
More tax money up in smoke.

MotorolaDave

Medina should have done coverage testing before switching over and investing in a poor system.
That's what they get for dropping the ball.
More tax money up in smoke.

I agree. And to make things worse they have no 700mhz mobile radios in their cruisers. They hope to use strictly portables.

mneil911

Feed Provider
Dave,

I am not trying to be disrespectful, but I am not sure where you are getting your information from:

- Medina PD has mobile 700mhz Phase II radios in every patrol car.
- Regarding coverage and testing. While most of us have done some testing, Medina PD has by far completed some of the most extensive testings of any user, or future user of the Harris system. Not only did they test radio coverage, of the Harris System, on every floor of the Hospital, but also in every school and most of the big box stores and factories in the city. It was only after they were satisfied with the coverage that they made the switch.
- Regarding the incident at the hospital this week, there were NO ISSUES communicating on the Harris System to the teams of officers doing the room by room searches on each floor. In fact what little communications that was being broadcast on the UHF analog repeaters was covered in static, and difficult to hear. There is no way that the officers would have been able to communicate on any of the UHF analog repeaters, deep in the hospital, like they were able to on the Harris system.

If you ever want to talk about what the users are actually experiencing or need clarification on any part of this, I don't hide who I am, and you know how to get a hold of me.

MotorolaDave

Some updates as it pertains to Medina County.

Medina Twp and Montville Twp police are now using TG 3059. Sounds like some radios still might be patched from the UHF system. I will submit this info.

Medina city fire and Life Support Team (LST) will be cutting over to the 700mhz system soon.

Brunswick City Police have decided to go to MARCS. This transition will occur sometime after the first of the year. Brunswick Hills and Hinckley are currently dispatched by Brunswick City. The Brunswick Hills Twp dispatch agreement with Brunswick City expires on December 31st, and the Brunswick Hills Twp trustees cannot decide what to do. One trustee wants to go to MARCS and continue to be dispatched by Brunswick city, the other wants to go to the 700mhz county system and be dispatched by the sheriff, and the 3rd trustee can't vote. Its likely a decision will be made at the next meeting on the 27th, as the dispatch agreement will expire. The county system does not have a tower in Brunswick which is causing coverage issues.

No word on what Hinckley and Wadsworth plan to do.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
TGs 3002 and 3030 (Medina Co talkgroups) are listed in the DB as "D" or FDMA. But TG 3002 (which I've seen a lot today) appears to be "T" or TDMA like all of the rest of the Medina Co talkgroups.

I'm going to update the DB so that at least TG 3002 is listed as TDMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.