Medina County 700 MHz P25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Tyler,

Did you make any progress on ID'ing 3002? I finally updated my HPs today. Hearing some traffic on that talkgroup. Definitely BSSA signals. The only address I caught was on Center Rd.

Mike-KC8OWL

I had a chance to monitor today side by side with the analog freqs - I can confirm the following as well.

3100 - Linked to Medina County Fire Dispatch*
3002 - Linked to Medina County SO Dispatch

* Maybe it was just me multi-tasking but it seemed when the page outs were happening on the fire TG only one of the two analog towers were being simulcast on the TRS.

Mike

budevans

No TG's posted for Medina

I had a chance to monitor today side by side with the analog freqs - I can confirm the following as well.

3100 - Linked to Medina County Fire Dispatch*
3002 - Linked to Medina County SO Dispatch

* Maybe it was just me multi-tasking but it seemed when the page outs were happening on the fire TG only one of the two analog towers were being simulcast on the TRS.

Mike

I was just looking at the Parma/Medina County/Ottawa County (P25) system and I don't see Medina County TG's. Has anyone done submissions?

Hummer8290

Premium Subscriber
Just using just portable radios can work,but ,speaking from experience ,muscle memory comes into play in panic situations . My department had that idea when we went to MARCS and we had bad things happen during a shooting . Month later,at most ,the radios were bought for cars .

MotorolaDave

Just using just portable radios can work,but ,speaking from experience ,muscle memory comes into play in panic situations . My department had that idea when we went to MARCS and we had bad things happen during a shooting . Month later,at most ,the radios were bought for cars .

I would trust the MARCS system and the APX radios you are using in Solon more than I would the Harris system being installed in Medina. Especially the simulcast Lake and Cuyahoga County have set up.

I know Cincinnati only has portables. From what I know that seems to work well.

Hummer8290

Premium Subscriber
Not even getting into the system itself,i just can't agree with changing a system to save some money or just because you got limited money on a grant. Do it all,do it right ,I just have experience with trying to change comms habits in officers. It's not really safe,to save a buck. Just my two cents

MotorolaDave

Not even getting into the system itself,i just can't agree with changing a system to save some money or just because you got limited money on a grant. Do it all,do it right ,I just have experience with trying to change comms habits in officers. It's not really safe,to save a buck. Just my two cents

I agree. And you can do all the testing you want, but the true test comes with daily use.

MotorolaDave

Has anyone heard any traffic on this system the last week or so? I haven't heard a peep in at least a few days.

Also, the decode of the control channel has been very weak at my home in Brunswick. I was in Hinckley yesterday and the decode was at 99%.

mszabo2000

I agree, wouldn't surprise me if they purchase mobiles in the future due to complaints from patrol personnel. Plus, the audio from a portable is difficult to hear when the siren is active, changing channels while moving presents a challenge, and battery life will decrease over time.

I wonder why they chose "H" over going on MARCS or buying an "M" system and connecting as a Tier 2 user? It would have improved interoperability with neighboring counties instead of creating an island.

budevans

Has anyone heard any traffic on this system the last week or so? I haven't heard a peep in at least a few days.

Also, the decode of the control channel has been very weak at my home in Brunswick. I was in Hinckley yesterday and the decode was at 99%.

Looking at the map for WQWR895 which shows the Medina towers. Valley City, Spencer and Seville are the farthest from any towers. Brunswick is the next farthest.

Tower Loc#4: is located in Hinckley in the i271 and State Road area (2916 State Road).
Tower Loc#1: is located near Weymouth Road just east of Fenn Road (3833 Weymouth Road).

Here's a link to the map for WQWR895. WQWR895 (MEDINA, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

budevans

I wonder why they chose "H" over going on MARCS or buying an "M" system and connecting as a Tier 2 user? It would have improved interoperability with neighboring counties instead of creating an island.

My best guess, based on what I've heard from my own community and others. Harris presents it's self as a much lower cost solution.

Swipesy

A friend of mine who lives just south of Medina City and has a GRE PSR 800 has heard nothing on the P-25 System. All that happens is that the LCD/LED's light up and the Talkgroup and othe information show on the LCD but zero Audio. This has been going on for days now. At the same time he hears the UHF simulcast just fine.

MotorolaDave

A friend of mine who lives just south of Medina City and has a GRE PSR 800 has heard nothing on the P-25 System. All that happens is that the LCD/LED's light up and the Talkgroup and othe information show on the LCD but zero Audio. This has been going on for days now. At the same time he hears the UHF simulcast just fine.

Yes...this is exactly what I am experiencing! Only difference is that I am monitoring with a PRO-651 and a PRO-197.

mszabo2000

My best guess, based on what I've heard from my own community and others. Harris presents it's self as a much lower cost solution.

Any idea how many radios they plan on deploying? Unless you're deploying several thousand radios, subscribing to MARCS is cheaper then buying and maintaining your own system in the long term. Medina pop is only 175,000 so I doubt the qty is more then 500 radios.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MotorolaDave

Any idea how many radios they plan on deploying? Unless you're deploying several thousand radios, subscribing to MARCS is cheaper then buying and maintaining your own system in the long term. Medina pop is only 175,000 so I doubt the qty is more then 500 radios.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't imagine it would be more than 150 radios county wide if they stick to portables.The sheriff's office has 55 sworn deputies plus the sheriff. Right now they are the only agency switching. There are a few other small communities dispatched by the sheriff who have a handful of officers. The fire departments dispatched by the sheriff are volunteer, and staying on UHF.

Medina City, Medina Twp and Montville Twp have applied for grants to upgrade to the trunked system. Those agencies have 50 officers max. Those fire departments are also volunteer. Medina LST is not volunteer.

Brunswick, Brunswick Hills and Hinckley have made no mention of switching to the trunking system. Even if the did, that would add another 50 or so radios if they stuck to strictly portables.

The county decided to go with Harris because of the cost. Plus, they are sharing their zone controller with Parma.

Status
Not open for further replies.