Memphis and Shelby County Public Safety (P25)

K4UTV

Premium Subscriber
First, I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I' searched and searched and cannot find a relevant thread.

This week I dug out my old PRO-96, ordered a cable, and loaded up a V file from here. I am hearing nothing on the above system, even though I know I was able to monitor it 3-4 years ago. The database references a changeover in 2022 but I don't know if that renders my old scanner obsolete. I've also manually verified the correct control channels are loaded.

Thanks in advance, and I am sorry if this has already been addressed.

K4UTV

Premium Subscriber
I think I found my answer after looking at the database again. It states, "New P25 Phase II digital trunking system replaced the legacy Type-II Astro system that was in use. System cutover was to completed by the first quarter of 2022."

My understanding is no scanner can monitor Phase II, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I think I found my answer after looking at the database again. It states, "New P25 Phase II digital trunking system replaced the legacy Type-II Astro system that was in use. System cutover was to completed by the first quarter of 2022."

My understanding is no scanner can monitor Phase II, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
The new Memphis / Shelby County system is a Phase II simulcast system. The Pro-96 will not be able to monitor this system.

There have been numerous reports of being able to successfully monitor this system with the SDS100/SDS200. You will find other scanners that handle phase II systems, but they do not perform well on simulcast systems - including this system. For a scanner, the SDS100/SDS200 are likely your best bet.

You can also consider the Unication G4/G5 pager.

K4UTV

Premium Subscriber
The new Memphis / Shelby County system is a Phase II simulcast system. The Pro-96 will not be able to monitor this system.

There have been numerous reports of being able to successfully monitor this system with the SDS100/SDS200. You will find other scanners that handle phase II systems, but they do not perform well on simulcast systems - including this system. For a scanner, the SDS100/SDS200 are likely your best bet.

You can also consider the Unication G4/G5 pager.
Thank you. Very helpful.