Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Happy New Year Everyone!

Had to go ahead and set my watch notifications for this thread being I check it a few times everyday fairly religiously.

mdmonitor

Guys

Posted on another list

The long-range radar could be critical for keeping an eye on Chinese activities and is another sign of growing U.S. vigilance in the Pacific.

U.S. Building Advanced Over-The-Horizon Radar On Palau

A description of TACMOR from the FY23 USAF budget papers:

A remote, unattended Transmit site consisting of ten elements and high power amplifiers transmitting High Frequency (HF) Skywave Over-The-Horizon Radar (OTHR) waveforms. The transmit site will also consists of a HF vertical sounder antenna and a HF backscatter sounder providing ionogram information for optimizing frequency selection.

A remote, unattended Receive site consisting of 128 dual-monopole antenna elements receiving the over-the-horizon reflected energy from the transmit site. The receive site also contains the secure facilities for signal processing of the received data and real-time target extraction information.

This effort will also fund the communications infrastructure necessary to enable the data flow from the Transmit and Receive sites to an off-site operations control center.

The operations control center plans and executes missions in support of the Combatant Command (CCMD) and provides real-time, target tracking information to all-source information fusion and dissemination systems. TACMOR data will also be accessible to and exploited by the National Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC) for detailed, post-event analysis.

https://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/Portals... Development Test and Evaluation Vol IIIb.pdf

BM82557

Okay, I know this isn't Milair but what is it? Noticed it at IAD/Dulles when I was checking ADSB-Exchange, whatever it was it was on the ground doing 28 mph --

Screenshot - 1_1_2023 , 9_17_18 AM.png

Registration of N280XB pulls this up --

Screenshot - 1_1_2023 , 11_33_54 AM.png

Last edited:

dmi

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I know this isn't Milair but what is it? Noticed it at IAD/Dulles when I was checking ADSB-Exchange, whatever it was it was on the ground doing 28 mph --

View attachment 133562

Registration of N280XB pulls this up --

View attachment 133563
That's a ground vehicle. The tower tracks them using ground radar ASDE-X. Not very technical I know... The N number appears to end in XB and is reserved.

Airport Surface Detection System — Model X (ASDE-X).

The data that ASDE-X uses comes from the following sources:
  1. Surface surveillance radar located on top of the air traffic control tower and / or surface surveillance radar located on a remote tower
  2. Multilateration sensors located around the airport
  3. Airport Surveillance Radars such as the ASR-9
  4. Automatic Dependent Surveillance — Broadcast (ADS-B) sensors
  5. Terminal automation system to obtain flight plan data.
By fusing the data from these sources, ASDE-X is able to determine the position and identification of aircraft and vehicles on the airport movement area, as well as aircraft flying on final approach to the airport.

Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) is one of the airports that use this.

Source: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/asde-x

Last edited:

BM82557

That's a ground vehicle. The tower tracks them using ground radar ASDE-X. Not very technical I know... The N number appears to end in XB and is reserved.

Airport Surface Detection System — Model X (ASDE-X).

The data that ASDE-X uses comes from the following sources:
  1. Surface surveillance radar located on top of the air traffic control tower and / or surface surveillance radar located on a remote tower
  2. Multilateration sensors located around the airport
  3. Airport Surveillance Radars such as the ASR-9
  4. Automatic Dependent Surveillance — Broadcast (ADS-B) sensors
  5. Terminal automation system to obtain flight plan data.
By fusing the data from these sources, ASDE-X is able to determine the position and identification of aircraft and vehicles on the airport movement area, as well as aircraft flying on final approach to the airport.

Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) is one of the airports that use this.

Source: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/asde-x

Thanks for the information.

mdmonitor

Guys

Posted on another list

The long-range radar could be critical for keeping an eye on Chinese activities and is another sign of growing U.S. vigilance in the Pacific.

A remote, unattended Transmit site consisting of ten elements and high power amplifiers transmitting High Frequency (HF) Skywave Over-The-Horizon Radar (OTHR) waveforms. The transmit site will also consists of a HF vertical sounder antenna and a HF backscatter sounder providing ionogram information for optimizing frequency selection.

A remote, unattended Receive site consisting of 128 dual-monopole antenna elements receiving the over-the-horizon reflected energy from the transmit site. The receive site also contains the secure facilities for signal processing of the received data and real-time target extraction information.

This effort will also fund the communications infrastructure necessary to enable the data flow from the Transmit and Receive sites to an off-site operations control center.

The operations control center plans and executes missions in support of the Combatant Command (CCMD) and provides real-time, target tracking information to all-source information fusion and dissemination systems. TACMOR data will also be accessible to and exploited by the National Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC) for detailed, post-event analysis.

https://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/Portals/84/documents/FY23/RDTE_/FY23 Air Force Research Development Test and Evaluation Vol IIIb.pdf

According to PACAF contract engineering documents online, it will operate between 12-30MHz with a transmitter on the main island and the receiver on one of the southernmost islands.

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Happy New Year everyone!

Found the 2023 sticky and set my notifications to watch the list as always. Everyone here has done an outstanding job keeping up with what's going on in the MilAir community in your area as well as getting a heads up for my neck of the woods up here in Maine. You guys have the pulse of anything happening in military aviation movements. If I need to find out when something has passed through or heading my way, the first place I look is here! That's a reflection of the great work you all do! I very much appreciate it and hope I can contribute more than I have recently. I've recently started a new job AND changed my radio setup. I'm finally getting settled in to where I can start having fun with the radios again when I can get the time to listen. As always, I keep two scanners recording 24/7. One parked on Coronet freqs, the other on UHF ARTCC. If something passes through here heading your way, I'll send along the heads up for you guys down there.

Keep up the great work! Here's to a great MilAir 2023!

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber

Could be an Ops Vehicle. When I worked at RDU Emergency Communications I would ride with the operation folks to do runway checks. Pretty darn fun riding down the middle of 5R/23L or 5L/23R at high speed depending if we had to get out of the way for inbound or outbounds

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
POTUS Monday travel...

AST
1:45 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY depart Henry E. Rohlsen Airport, St. Croix, United States Virgin Islands en route Joint Base Andrews

EST
4:35 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY arrive at Joint Base Andrews
4:55 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY arrive at the White House, South Lawn

john8436

Premium Subscriber
Guys

Posted on another list

https://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/Portals/84/documents/FY23/RDTE_/FY23 Air Force Research Development Test and Evaluation Vol IIIb.pdf
When I was in the Air Force in the late 80's I was assigned to the OTH-B in Maine. When that was up and running it was amazing to see how they could pick an object out and track it. I can only imagine from that time to now how the technology has improved and what they will be able to do!!

mdmonitor

VIP Movement Summary (does not include POTUS, VPOTUS, FLOTUS travel)

DATE: 1 Jan

(No SAM #) (C-37 # 06-0500) ADW-Hickam
SAM 807 (C-37 # 97- 0400) ADW- Davis Monthan AFB AZ
SAM 858 )C-32 # 99-0004) ADW-West Coast ???
SAM 882 (C-32 # 99-0003) ADW-West Coast???

Note: Westward tracks on 99-0003 & 99-0004 stop when acft southeast of Flagstaff AZ

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
POTUS Monday travel...

AST
1:45 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY depart Henry E. Rohlsen Airport, St. Croix, United States Virgin Islands en route Joint Base Andrews

EST
4:35 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY arrive at Joint Base Andrews
4:55 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY arrive at the White House, South Lawn
Maybe they tacked on 15 minutes to departure..
3/0123 NOTAM Details (faa.gov)

Edit Military Bowl was last Weds.. My bad :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.