Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

GriffissSpotter

Poking around on those DUSTER T-38C's in and out of Griffiss and Dover today.
Seem to belong to Holloman AFB 586th FTS/704th TG.They only have 4 of them with HT on the tail.
One tracked all the way from Holloman AFB Monday... Maybe test work with Def contractor out here?

On Tuesday, I got to talk to the crew for a little while after their flights. They said that they were testing a radar system. They’ve got pilots in the front and engineers with the equipment for testing in the back. Got to go out to the jets and got to see the cockpit and everything and they even gave me a squadron patch as a souvenir. They should be heading back home to Holloman tomorrow morning.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
On Tuesday, I got to talk to the crew for a little while after their flights. They said that they were testing a radar system. They’ve got pilots in the front and engineers with the equipment for testing in the back. Got to go out to the jets and got to see the cockpit and everything and they even gave me a squadron patch as a souvenir. They should be heading back home to Holloman tomorrow morning.
Awsome Griff.. Was hoping you were around to see these rare visitors.They were only at 1000 feet running thru Pa/MD hills coming South at 350+ knots for a spell..
Hope you got some pics as well :)

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I received this from a friend who is on FaceBook (I’m not).
———————-

167th Airlift Wing - West Virginia Air National Guard o

3h • G

Last week, nearly 150 men and women from the 167th Airlift Wing embarked on a multi-month deployment overseas as part of a Mission Generation Force Element (MG FE). The Airmen will fly and maintain C-17 Globemaster aircraft, providing mobility capability as needed throughout the summer. It has been more than 20 vears since 167th AW Airmen have mass-deploved together on unit aircraft. After more than two decades of contingency operations that saw Airmen deploy individually or in small groups, under the new deployment model, Air Force Force Generation (AFFORGEN), Airmen who have trained together at home station deploy together as a unit.

AFFORGEN is an adaptation to the strategic environment that aims to standardize deployment cycles and preserve and build high-end readiness.

We are so proud of our deplovers and their commitment to the mission. And we want to express our deepest gratitude to the families for their unwavering support and sacrifice.
This may seem like a great idea (to deploy as a unit) however (from experience) it's terrible.

One of the advantages of going out in onesees and twosees, is that you leave any preconceived ideas about an individuals performance at home station. It becomes a chance to shine (or not), a persons reputation at home station doesn't count. Bad performers at home station sometimes shine on deployment and vs-versa.

Also, in a unit, a lot of people hide their mental and emotional problems, and it isn't really possible to do so when deploying and you cant hide your issues by going home.

Also, if everyone is training to the same standard, mixing and matching people from different units isn't a problem. I wondered a lot with the most recent conflicts, why people needed a LOT of pre-deployment training, weren't they already trained to the appropriate standard and only local familiarization needed? Like when a fully trained pilot changes bases, a little local familiarization and they're done...

Best of luck to them, but don't be surprised if some have to return home early for various reasons.

One little piece of advice, if anyone is in a position to forward it, is to not allow people that work together, live together.

I know this is a little off topic, but it's important.

Thanks
Joel

GriffissSpotter

Awsome Griff.. Was hoping you were around to see these rare visitors.They were only at 1000 feet running thru Pa/MD hills coming South at 350+ knots for a spell..
Hope you got some pics as well :)
I would love to share pictures but it seems as if it won’t let me upload them. It’s been a while for me, what are the photo requirements again?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
C-5M #87-0032 from Travis departing Dover eastbound.
Came in yesterday from Gray AAF Texas as RCH-2038 alpha 3 with downloads and thruloads including
2 Apache choppers.. Assume headed for Centcom destination or overseas airshow?
I read Boeing skipping the Euro airshows this year including Farnborough due to internal problems..

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Great pics! rare visitors.. Thanks Griff.
#187 made another run today this time again at same low level but at over 400 knots..
Bet they startled some dairy cows etc doing that.. LOL
Did not copy on usual UHF freqs so maybe used VHF this time? Hope they visit again!

On bar graph rewind to that low altitude section when from Pa into Maryland.

Last edited: