Minitor Pager with NOAA WX

Status
Not open for further replies.

pddispatcher

Hey,

I have a minitor 3 pager that I put the weather in but I can not get it to alert with the 1050.0 hz tone that is used when a warning or watch is issued. How does one make that happen in PPS?

Thank you!

Drachen_Fire

If it is a Minitor III, you can set any tones for A and B, if you program C to 1050Hz, then set alert type to AB/Long C. I had this problem before, and this is how I solved it.

jaymatt1978

Yeah but then if you set the A and B to different tones, how will they activate i f the NWS only sends out a 1050Hz tone? Shouldn't you just leave the A and B Tones empty??

If it is a Minitor III, you can set any tones for A and B, if you program C to 1050Hz, then set alert type to AB/Long C. I had this problem before, and this is how I solved it.

rescuecomm

It is basically the same way some rescue/fire dispatchers alert all stations. The long C set to 1050 hz will alert in addition to the first two. My personal radios have the long B tone alert, so I set both tones to 1050 hz. It depends on the equipment.

SCPD

QRT
This is a great idea, but I wonder what kind of coverage would one expect with the lower power NWS transmitters.

KJ6HCB

What about a Minitor VI? The programming of it is different than what I am used to with the II and III.

"GROUP CALL" is the same as "Long C". So I would imagine put 1050 in the Group Call section and you would be set.

Ive never heard these tones on WX before - do they sound it once every 15 minutes during an alert or some sort of set interval, or just once when they are issued or what?

Voyager

Yep - set it as a group call tone and that should be it.

Might have to change the tone set type to USER depending on which one it is so you have access to the correct settings (group calls).

RayAir

I wanted to try this myself at one point with a Minitor but it never panned out.

Ended up using the "Radio ID" Android app and got the tones off of our county's severe weather/incident alerting frequency. Set it up as Quick Call 2 in a Motorola XPR and used sel call which sounds three short beeps once the tones are received. It's been working good, but I may make the alert tones longer.

I kind off needed a better receiver because at my home I receive an adjacent countys WX statiot much more clear than the one for my county.

Still researching on getting a Minitor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.