• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor V Alert output

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDawgEMT22

I would like to take an old minitor V that doesnt work right (alerts but doesnt open up and it is a hardware issue because the programming is right) and hook it up to a station alerting system I would like to build. I want to take the output signal to trip a relay to sound a bell and trip a second relay that will latch itself and turn on some lights. That part of it is going to be easy with some 24V DPST relays rated at a high enough amperage for the lights. I know I can buy a minitor V amplified charger that has this output in it, but I want to do it for as cheap as possible. So just modifying a standard charging base by adding a pin for it would be best.

According to this website https://sites.google.com/site/radioetcetera/home/firestationalerting . The pin that is used for TX to programmer will output a ~2.5VDC signal (relative to pager gnd) when the pager is alerting. The problem is I have checked the voltage on this pin while a pager is activating and got no voltage. Does anyone have any further information about this?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Questions:

1 When you tried to measure the alert output, was the negative lead of your meter on a true ground?
2 Whatever crapped out in the pager might affect the logic output of the pin. Schematics of the minitor V are secret squirrel stuff (maybe wiki leaks will help out someday).
3 Without a charger base, how will you run the pager? Just off the batteries?

If you could get the pager to output 2.5 volts on alert, this might work to trip more relays:
ELK-924 Sensitive Relay
I don't think that output pin has enough nut to run a relay directly. Boosting the voltage to the pager would definitely help. Maybe a wall wart that puts out 4 to 5 volts and wire it in where the battery goes? Gotta get that logic out off of the pin though. Good luck.

Last edited:

FireDawgEMT22

1 it was the pager ground
2 it was with different pagers other than the one that isnt working right
3 still going to use a charger base, modified with a pin added for the alert signal, just do not want to buy the amplified charger when I can do it somehow with a modified regular charger

And I wasnt planning on using the 2.5 to directly trip a relay, I was going to use it as the gate voltage on an NPN transistor with 24v on the collector and the relay tied to the emitter, then the 2.5 volts should open the transistor to allow the 24v to trip the relay.

FireDawgEMT22

Got it figured out. It does send a signal of about 2.5V out on the Data TX to Programmer pin relative to the Pager Ground pin (looking at bottom of pager with clip on bottom the pin on top row furthest to the right is voltage and second pin from the left same row is gnd)

It only send the signal will the pager is alerting and was probably too fast for the analog voltmeter I was using the first time I tested it.

I only am estimating the voltage level based on what I have read. I had the voltmeter on 2000mV and it over ranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.