Mod FRS Radio fr. 0.5 watts to higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

Nobody has mentioned that the RF output transistor is designed to work at that power level and simply won't put out much more no matter what you do to it. It would require a bigger transistor, heat sinked also. That means re-designing the board, fitting it mechanically, etc. Just buy a MURS VHF radio and it will work a whole lot better. Keep in mind it still will NOT overcome terrain obstacles, you need a repeater for that.

TheZach

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
you have to be liscensed as GMRS user as well...as far as "ok sorry. anyway, I still plan to do it.", i dont know why anyone would give this person more information...obviously has no respect for the rules, most of the people on this board are upstanding radio users, monitors...comments like the above are the ones that give people like us a bad name....dont want to start a fight or arguement here or anything, but the thought just crossed my mind...with no harm intended...

JB

Most people on this board have no respect for the law... and it seems the moderators love this attitude.

TheZach

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The answer is simple!
Get a No-code Tech Ham license which is not hard to pass, and you have access to a whole new world of frequencies that will allow you the full LEGAL 5 watts of power on a portable that you so desire. Plus you will have learned something in the process. You cant beat that!

Manny

An attitude such as his would not be appreciated on the amateur bands.

Why modify a rinky-dinky toy? Get the midland GXT-600's off ebay and they do 5 watts and will get you close to a two mile range (I own a pair and they are the best bubble pack radios). Modifiying frs radios is illegal, and using any radio to do more than 500 mw on an frs frequency is illegal.

If someone didn't care about the law there are $21 radios on ebay that do 5 watts and you can program from the keypad, but why break the law?

The REAL WORLD difference in most cases between .5 watt and 5 watts may be a half mile or a bit more extra range. So what? Become a radio criminal for this? Makes no sense.

Oh yeah, and when you move up to GMRS make sure you purchase your license with the radios, and learn about identification and other rules please.

RayAir

While I agree that it's not quite on par with tearing the tag off of your mattress, I would disagree with the validity of your analogy.

0.5 watts to 4 watts is an seven-hundred percent increase in power, which represents eight times the legal limit. That's like going four hundred miles per hour in a fifty mile per hour zone. I assure you that there is no cop or court that will think that's "no big deal". :lol:

I agree what you are saying, but 4 watts is still pretty "piddly". Now if you programmed a UHF mobile LMR radio on FRS running 40+ watts off a UHF 5/8 wave base antenna then that is pushing it. Now what about this, I have used a FRS radio aboard an aircraft (I was pilot in command) from about 3000 AGL and could talk to many FRS users from that altitude. Is that illegal too?

RayAir

Which was exactly my point. That's why I said it was an invalid analogy.

Doing 5 mph is not going to get you pulled over or kill anybody and running a measly 4 watts from a HT on FRS is not going to kill anybody or warrant a visit from the FCC. To clarify my analogy here are some better examples- doing 1mph over the speed limit is illegal, does that make you a criminal (then we all would be criminals). If you forget your proof of insurance it is a misdemeanor , are you a criminal if you forget it once? C'mon, there are so many meaningless, unenforced laws in our country it is pathetic. Let's go after the idiots that modify their 2 meter rigs and transmit on police frequencies or people who intentionally jam repeaters.

RayAir

The answer is simple!
Get a No-code Tech Ham license which is not hard to pass, and you have access to a whole new world of frequencies that will allow you the full LEGAL 5 watts of power on a portable that you so desire. Plus you will have learned something in the process. You cant beat that!

Manny
All license are no code now, you can upgrade to a general or a extra and not have to take the code. I think that was a good move, CW is not modern communication and you still must learn a fair amount of info. even for a Technician license.

jon_k

People should stop posting eBay links and such to help someone to break the law. Let them do their own legwork. I can't wait until someone comes in here saying how he wants to kill his girlfriend cause she's been cheating "how do i do it??". I'm sure someone will chime in "A gun show is in your area next week and there's some wonderful knives and 9mm's that could finish her off nicely." We could even help him plan how to dispose the body! Someone else could be his alibi when he gets questioned!

If you forget your proof of insurance it is a misdemeanor , are you a criminal if you forget it once?

A misdemeanor is an arrest able offense in some states.

5 mph over is no big deal. However it can get you a ticket and you will pay the price, at which point you should not be surprised or angry when you get caught.

0.6 watts+ on FRS is breaking the law. You can get a $5,000+ fine for this. If you know the consequences, never be surprised if the FCC suddenly appears. Transmitting at 0.6 watts on FRS just isn't worth $5,000 in fines to me.

here are so many meaningless, unenforced laws in our country it is pathetic

You would consider me a crazy conspiracy theorist if you knew me on a more personal level. Add to the fact I have strict libertarian views and you can tell that I think our government has too many programs and too many laws.

However, some laws are important. Lets look at your examples.

1) FCC Laws. You have to put a limit for each service somewhere. FRS is 0.5 watts. This is because it is meant for families on a farm or on a road trip to communicate with each other. It's meant to be used within property or closeby to the receiver. Without the limitation people would be pushing 1500 watts and trying to communicate all over the state with this. It would create too much pollution and no longer be of use to families for personal communication.

2) The speed limit. 1, 5, 10, even 15 miles over the speed limit won't get anyone killed. However you have to put a limit somewhere and it has to be set in stone. Then, anything beyond that limit must be illegal. If you let everyone go 1 mile over, then it seems you need to increase the posted limit by 1 mile. If you say that these laws are useless and repeal them, then people will be going 70+ down your long straight street while your kids are riding their bikes.

I break the speed law all the time, as we all do here. I don't need to break the FCC's laws because I've got an amateur license and have my own band I can go up to 1500 watts in.

All license are no code now, you can upgrade to a general or a extra and not have to take the code. I think that was a good move, CW is not modern communication and you still must learn a fair amount of info. even for a Technician license.

Some would argue both of these points, but thats discussion for another thread.

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
"15 miles over the speed limit won't get anyone killed. Hum, tell that to all the people that have been killed doing that! So what speed over the speed limit will kill? Just think how far one will travel at 75 miles a hour vs 60 before reacting or stopping. But I guess this isn't the point of this thread. Owning a gun isn't necessarily illegal, but killing someone is!

jon_k

"15 miles over the speed limit won't get anyone killed. Hum, tell that to all the people that have been killed doing that! So what speed over the speed limit will kill? Just think how far one will travel at 75 miles a hour vs 60 before reacting or stopping. But I guess this isn't the point of this thread. Owning a gun isn't necessarily illegal, but killing someone is!

People have been killed as slow as 2-5 mph. But you're right, that part of my post was a just minor detail in my argument.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I don't need to break the FCC's laws because I've got an amateur license and have my own band I can go up to 1500 watts in.
Not as a technician! You are limited to 200W PEP; better do a refresher on your privileges.

n2mdk

Not as a technician! You are limited to 200W PEP; better do a refresher on your privileges.

I think you need to in actuality, this is straight from the FCC http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=about_3&id=amateur#Technician

Technician

The privileges of a Technician Class operator license include operating an amateur station that may transmit on channels in any of 17 frequency bands above 50 MHz with up to 1,500 watts of power. To pass the Technician Class examination, at least 26 questions from a 35 question written examination must be answered correctly. Technician Class licensees also have privileges in four amateur service bands in the HF range (3-30 MHz) (Refer to Section 97.301(e)).

frankblues

Er, not to offend, but that is wrong. Techs are limited to 200W only on their HF privileges. Above 50 Mhz, Techs can use 1500 W PEP. (Mind you, the regs still say minimum power necessary for communication.) The only limits for power on 50 Mhz and above (in terms of license class) is for those still holding Novice tickets.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I've seen 2+ kW amps in magazines and they fully say for 1.8-30MHz HAM
I thought that you could only have 1.5kW?

jhooten

FCC authorizes 1500 watts PEP. Look at the specs for the amp. They USUALLY list the power as DC input. Assuming you have a very efficient amp and it can do 70% that 2000 watt DC input amp will give you 1400 out at best. Turn your drive down a tad to save some wear and tear on your expensive tube and your are down to 1200 out.

Turn the compressor on your transmitter up and run it at full drive, then you may put out more than 1500 pep and splatter all over the band until you destroy the amp.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
An attitude such as his would not be appreciated on the amateur bands.

You are probably right, but I still like to suggest to people that they do the right thing. What they ultimately do is their problem. Just because someone has a bad attitude now, does not mean he/she cant be convinced to think otherwise. Never give up! If not this guy, maybe somebody else. As far as legality of things goes, while I am totally against what the OP wants to do, I cant help but to think of all the people who came from the CB world who Im sure didnt always use the stock set as it came from the manufacturer. You want to talk about wattage violations, there is an area that really needs to be controlled.
Again, Im against what the OP is going to do, but let he who has no sin, cast the first stone ok? Myself included!

Original posted by Ray_Air:

"All licenses are no code now, you can upgrade to a general or a extra and not have to take the code. I think that was a good move, CW is not modern communication and you still must learn a fair amount of info. even for a Technician license"

You are correct! Its just that I've been calling the Tech license that way for so long that It has stuck in my head.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.