Mod FRS Radio fr. 0.5 watts to higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjthomas59

Just do the "in-crowd" thing, operate on GMRS w/ 5watts without a license. Millions are doing it, why not you??

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
You guys kill me!

You cant have it both ways people you just cant!
You have someone like this guy willing to break the rules. Instead of just verbaly knocking him on his proverbial butt about it, why not encourage him to do it the right way? I was suggesting to him that by doing it the "legal" way it will open more choices to him and he will learn something in the process. Well, you guys didnt like that so what happens? Someone else goes in the other direction and tells him to just do the "in crowd thing" and operate illegaly without a license. So which is it people, are we going to steer people in the right or wrong direction on this site? What he ultimately does is his problem. However telling him he is wrong, suggesting right, then wrong ways to go is sending wrong, mixed signals to people who come on this site asking questions like this.

Manny

mjthomas59

Someone else goes in the other direction and tells him to just do the "in crowd thing" and operate illegaly without a license.

I guess that was directed at me. Apparently some people can't see the sarcasm in my response. That being said I don't believe that babysitting every bum on the street who openly admits that he has no reservations about breaking the law is worth much more time than a quick and short sarcastic response.

The guy obviously has a little bit of knowledge as to FCC rules or he wouldn't be operating on FRS to begin with. I personally think FRS is a waste of time as it barely works beyond yelling distance, as is the OP's problem. I also think that the "laws" that are "un-enforced" by the FCC are a joke and a complete waste of time. You can't mass-market bubble-pack GMRS/FRS radios and tote "26-mile range" and expect for everyone buying them to follow the law and get licensed. The fact of the matter is the FCC couldn't handle the amount of license applications if everyone who was on GMRS actually applied for one. Personally, i'd rather have him on gmrs un-licensed than interfering with critical communications.

You can't have laws without any enforcement, and the reality of tracking an unlicensed user transmitting 5 watts in simplex makes it all but impossible(and certainly not worth the trouble). So there is the grim reality of it.

Now you have to ask yourself, is spending the $40-$50 to buy a new bubble-pack GMRS radio worth it in relation to modding an FRS radio to transmit more than .5watts? The answer is spend the $50 on new "18-26 mile" radios and move on with your life. Or carry a large portable CB and deal with interference 24/7. You could always get a long string and 2 cans??

Last edited:

af5rn

You really think he's still reading? :lol:

He came here with a plan that he intended to pursue, and had no intention of accepting any substitutes. We're not willing to play his game, so he's going to take his football and go home. It's the New York way.

Astro25

Purchase a cheap HT1000 or GP300, it'll give you 4 watts, and will do the FRS frequencies fine (403-470 or 450-512 R/S bandsplits). You'll probably have better luck on 464.550, it's usually less congested. Just don't use PL 67.0, it's pretty common.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I highly recommend using 167.5625.

It gets mad propagation.

AHAAAAAA HAAA HAAAAA LOL
Yep!!!
thats the one to use especially if your in a big city like NYC, Miami, DC mad propagation in those citys yeh!!

So the final thing is, you cant mod an FRS radio to go higher than .50 watts if you just want to clip some wires
sorry dude, you'll have to get something else
I mean you could find something like a 5 watt VHF HT and program to MURS

Last edited:

trace1

ok sorry. anyway, I still plan to do it.

Outstanding!!!

While since you seem to have no problems with breaking the law why don't you go ahead and drink a little too much and then get out there on that highway, sell or take a little bit of drugs, rape, rob and steal, cheat on your taxes, kill your neighbor...

Then you can get on your illegally modified radio and tell all your friends!!!

RayAir

One simple way to get boost power on FRS is to go on Ebay and buy a 4 watt UHF hand held such as a Motorola HT1000 or GP350. You will need to get it programmed for FRS though. Strangely enough I bought a pair of UHF Motorola HT600's on Ebay not knowing what frequency they were on and found them to be already programmed for FRS. As far as legality, the way I see it, big deal. You are not causing malicious interference. It's like going 5 over down the street.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I always thought about ripping apart a FRS and installing a 440 whip just to see if the ERP increased (yes, I know that's

:evil: AGAINST THE LAW:evil:

), but in the spirit of experimentation I always wondered if the average FRS rig could adequately drive a better antenna.

Now that the adrenaline is all pumped up, I'm gonna go jaywalk and drive 71 in a 55.

af5rn

As far as legality, the way I see it, big deal. You are not causing malicious interference. It's like going 5 over down the street.
While I agree that it's not quite on par with tearing the tag off of your mattress, I would disagree with the validity of your analogy.

0.5 watts to 4 watts is an seven-hundred percent increase in power, which represents eight times the legal limit. That's like going four hundred miles per hour in a fifty mile per hour zone. I assure you that there is no cop or court that will think that's "no big deal". :lol:

VECTOR-77

You really think he's still reading? :lol:

He came here with a plan that he intended to pursue, and had no intention of accepting any substitutes. We're not willing to play his game, so he's going to take his football and go home. It's the New York way.

yeah I am still reading.

Like others have said if the FCC is not going to enforce then why not break them. I am sorry but I am sick of the insane amount of government in everything. Why the heck does somebody need to regulate the em waves. To me that seems insane, its the same as a goverment agency regulating waves in a ocean or the wind. Its kind of ridiculous.

I simply thought, if ya add a bit more juice to the transmitter, that it may go a tad further. No harm no foul. But I guess I am to stupid to do that also, at least the govt thinks so.

As to could I do it myself, sure, im a EE, Im sure I could think of something. But why if there are already known working mods.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Like others have said if the FCC is not going to enforce then why not break them. I am sorry but I am sick of the insane amount of government in everything.

In all seriousness, I would rather doubt that the FCC would be going after someone who used a 5 watt HT on an FRS frequency. It's unlikely to bother anyone with enough clout to wake the FCC up from their nap. But as to why they should be regulated at all, read up on the history of early radio. The FCC and it's predecessor were born out of necessity.

Why the heck does somebody need to regulate the em waves. To me that seems insane, its the same as a goverment agency regulating waves in a ocean or the wind. Its kind of ridiculous.

Comparing the airwaves with the wind and the waves is nonsensical and ridiculous.

I simply thought, if ya add a bit more juice to the transmitter, that it may go a tad further. No harm no foul. But I guess I am to stupid to do that also, at least the govt thinks so.

You're part right. You could increase the applied voltage to the transmitter and it would probably produce more power... but not much. And it would probably exceed the ratings of the components, and cause premature failure. But your idea is even less practical than that. Where is this "more juice" going to come from? More batteries? Where are you going to put them? How much more power do you need? 1/2 db? 1 db? 3? 6? Do you have any clue?

As to could I do it myself, sure, im a EE, Im sure I could think of something. But why if there are already known working mods.

An EE, huh? Ahem... I have serious doubts. You write at a 6th grade level, and your critical thinking skills are apparently about the same. I was going to ignore this thread until you said that. Please don't claim to be something you're not. If you really were, you'd already know the futility of trying to modify FRS radios by adding " a bit more juice"

VECTOR-77

In all seriousness, I would rather doubt that the FCC would be going after someone who used a 5 watt HT on an FRS frequency. It's unlikely to bother anyone with enough clout to wake the FCC up from their nap. But as to why they should be regulated at all, read up on the history of early radio. The FCC and it's predecessor were born out of necessity.

Comparing the airwaves with the wind and the waves is nonsensical and ridiculous.

You're part right. You could increase the applied voltage to the transmitter and it would probably produce more power... but not much. And it would probably exceed the ratings of the components, and cause premature failure. But your idea is even less practical than that. Where is this "more juice" going to come from? More batteries? Where are you going to put them? How much more power do you need? 1/2 db? 1 db? 3? 6? Do you have any clue?

An EE, huh? Ahem... I have serious doubts. You write at a 6th grade level, and your critical thinking skills are apparently about the same. I was going to ignore this thread until you said that. Please don't claim to be something you're not. If you really were, you'd already know the futility of trying to modify FRS radios by adding " a bit more juice"

But anyways, I understand what you guys mean and I thank you all for everything and all the thoughts and help.

jon_k

the way I see it, big deal. You are not causing malicious interference. It's like going 5 over down the street.

If you're OK with that then please go 5 over on the freeway and please transmit 5 watts on FRS. Wait, why stop there? Put an external antenna amplifier and boost the gain to 100 watts ERP! And why not push your engine to the redline in rushour from time to time?

Little more juice isn't the point. Point is if you push the power on this radio the deviation may go out of whack on the radio. This could cause spurs to show up on other FRS channels and maybe even out of band in to public safety or amateur services. I'm sure once you start bleeding in to the amateur service some amateurs will gladly hunt you down (they're better/faster at it than the FCC officials most of the times.) If you interrupt emergency communications it's a felony in most states.

Do what you will though. Anarchy on RF! Just remember there are people with perverse pleasure in tracking people like you down, and they'll do what they can to ruin your rebellion.

We don't care what you do. We just thought we'd let you know why you should care.

Last edited:

Don_Burke

VECTOR-77 said:
Like others have said if the FCC is not going to enforce then why not break them. I am sorry but I am sick of the insane amount of government in everything. Why the heck does somebody need to regulate the em waves. To me that seems insane, its the same as a goverment agency regulating waves in a ocean or the wind. Its kind of ridiculous.
As an EE, you should be well aware of where the FRS channels fall in the spectrum and should understand the consequences of spatter.
VECTOR-77 said:
I simply thought, if ya add a bit more juice to the transmitter, that it may go a tad further.
It would indeed go farther. However, the mods required to make that happen are hardly cost-effective.
VECTOR-77 said:
No harm no foul.
If this was CB, that might be true. In that particular corner of UHF, I would not be so sure about the "no harm" part of your theory.
VECTOR-77 said:
But I guess I am to stupid to do that also, at least the govt thinks so.
Based on what I have read here, I would go along with the government's opinion.
VECTOR-77 said:
I would expect mods to be hard to find as anyone with the expertise to figure a mod out would also know the futility of it.

Sometimes people will come up with a mod "just because it's there", so you may find something.

kd7rto

While I agree that it's not quite on par with tearing the tag off of your mattress, I would disagree with the validity of your analogy.

0.5 watts to 4 watts is an seven-hundred percent increase in power, which represents eight times the legal limit. That's like going four hundred miles per hour in a fifty mile per hour zone. I assure you that there is no cop or court that will think that's "no big deal". :lol:
Where does this 700% figure come from? According to my understanding, we are talking about 9 dB gain. A noticeable increase in range, but hardly 7 (or 8) times the distance.

I would also question whether the danger of a speeding car, and the danger of an over-powered handheld transmitter, are in any way comparable.

Don_Burke

kd7rto said:
Where does this 700% figure come from?
.5 to 4 would be an eight fold increase, which would be 700%.
kd7rto said:
According to my understanding, we are talking about 9 dB gain. A noticeable increase in range, but hardly 7 (or 8) times the distance.
Agreed. It would also not be a small mod as there is almost certainly nothing in there that could handle 4 watts.
kd7rto said:
I would also question whether the danger of a speeding car, and the danger of an over-powered handheld transmitter, are in any way comparable.
That would be a bit of a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.