Monitoring A MOTO TRBO Capacity Plus System On DMR Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
For those that have experience monitoring a Moto Trbo system with a regular DMR transcveiver, does it matter that order the channels are programmed in? For example, the system I am interested in has two RF frequencies, both TS 1 & 2 are used, I know the Color Code, and there are four different talk groups. In my way of thinking, it might be better to program all four talkgroups for TS 1 and then TS 2, but I am just wondering if it really will matter at all?

Also, monitoring this way, do most transmissions stay on a particular frequency and Time Slot or do they change very often?

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
If you use a Motorola radio set up for Cap+, yes it matters.

I believe you can enter the two channels four times, each with TS1 and TS2, then just assign the RX groups to each channel.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,604

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Doesn't matter.

Setup an RX Group List with each of the groups entered in.

Each frequency is programmed in twice, once for each timeslot. Put your RX Group List in here.

Setup a scanlist containing each channel and assign that scanlist to each channel.

The groups are not assigned a specific frequency/timeslot nor do they favour a specific frequency or timeslot on the system so you can program them in and scan them in any order.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I think it is better to program a Mototrbo radio with Capacity Plus as Capacity Plus rather than a conventional system. It is a free option. It is possible to make it RX-only so it will not transmit. I setup a zone "channel" with a RX Group List and no TX Group.

The repeaters are assigned to a Capacity Plus voice list and only one repeater definition is needed for the two slots. The channel pool is where you define the repeater info. You do have to know what Cap+ channel pair the repeater is used on. Here is a tutorial on programming the radio for Capacity Plus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZCSgTP2v-M

73 Eric

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The OP is not talking about a Motorola subscriber unit, but a consumer-level DMR HT like the TYT MD-380. That's a slightly different animal.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Totally gapped on that.

Go ahead and enter each timeslot and frequency in as a channel unless your radio had the ability to monitor both timeslots. You can put them in any order.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And have one group list containing all the known talkgroup IDs you want to monitor linked to each channel. That way you can add one ID to the list and it will be added to every channel.

RayAir

It's better to just program it in as a Capacity Plus system:

1- Enter Cap+ contacts (groups)
2- Set your Cap+ receive group list
3- Add Cap+ personality channels
4- Enter frequencies to Channel Pool
5- Configure Cap+ voice list (enter frequencies in LCN order)

I like to define the groups 1-1 and I'll create an additional "All group" where it will receive any TX it lands upon on the system. It works well to get a scope of overall system activity, then if one group has something going on you can just turn the dial to the setting for that particular group.

Don't confuse the voice list with the rx group list.

Cap+ programming is pretty simple once you do it a couple times.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A MD-380 doesn't work that way. Go back and read the first post. The question is how to monitor a system with a non-trunking CCR like a TYT MD-380 or equivalent.

RayAir

A MD-380 doesn't work that way. Go back and read the first post. The question is how to monitor a system with a non-trunking CCR like a TYT MD-380 or equivalent.

Then you're stuck entering all frequencies twice, once for each slot. Assign a rx group list to all frequencies and then create a scan list for the zone.

radioguy224

Premium Subscriber
would this be the same for programming a DMR Motorola Capacity Plus Single Site in my tyt md380

It's better to just program it in as a Capacity Plus system:

1- Enter Cap+ contacts (groups)
2- Set your Cap+ receive group list
3- Add Cap+ personality channels
4- Enter frequencies to Channel Pool
5- Configure Cap+ voice list (enter frequencies in LCN order)

I like to define the groups 1-1 and I'll create an additional "All group" where it will receive any TX it lands upon on the system. It works well to get a scope of overall system activity, then if one group has something going on you can just turn the dial to the setting for that particular group.

Don't confuse the voice list with the rx group list.

Cap+ programming is pretty simple once you do it a couple times.

radioguy224

Premium Subscriber
for those that have experience monitoring a moto trbo system with a regular dmr transcveiver, does it matter that order the channels are programmed in? For example, the system i am interested in has two rf frequencies, both ts 1 & 2 are used, i know the color code, and there are four different talk groups. In my way of thinking, it might be better to program all four talkgroups for ts 1 and then ts 2, but i am just wondering if it really will matter at all?

Also, monitoring this way, do most transmissions stay on a particular frequency and time slot or do they change very often?

will this work for my tyt md 380 radio

Ubbe

will this work for my tyt md 380 radio

Yes, program one channel with a frequency and TS1 and then another channel with the same frequency and TS2. Continue doing so to all frequencies of that site/system and scan them.

Assign the RX group with the valid talk groups to the channels. And/or use promiscuios mode and monitor all TGs and private calls. The TGs you have programmed will display but the others will only show a blank display.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

It shouldn't be any problem to monitor the system if they don't use RAS.

/Ubbe

Attachments

• MD380_Contacts.jpg
    MD380_Contacts.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 670
  • MD380_Group.jpg
    MD380_Group.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 654
  • MD380_Channels.jpg
    MD380_Channels.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 654
Status