Monitoring DragonCon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4wai

I paid a visit to DragonCon yesterday and noticed a ton of radios being used by the event staff volunteers. I haven't been to the Con in many years, but it seemed as if a lot more radios are being utilized than in years past. I know much of the radio is rented equipment, but it seemed as if some of the staff members had their own personal equipment. I think it would be interesting to monitor whatever radio frequencies they use for this event, as there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes. I also wonder if they're utilizing any repeater channels as the event does span 5 or 6 different buildings, most of which are high rise hotels. If anyone has any information in regards to frequencies I'd love to know for next year's event. I'm sure that I'm not the only ham/radio hobbyist who would take an interest in this.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I have been monitoring all the PD/EMS channels. Some of the following were heard:

Multiple shootings involving storm troopers.
Illegal parking of phone booths.
Wookie with a missing arm.
William Shatner wig spotted.
500 people missing after entering a Star Gate.
Cars on fire from dragons.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The communciations coordinator for the event is (or was, haven't spoken to him in a couple of years) Patrick, KG4KKN. You should hit him up and ask him, he would know exactly what radios and systems are utlitized as he is the one in charge of that part of it. His address is good on QRZ, I think he's a member here too.

kc4wai

I have been monitoring all the PD/EMS channels. Some of the following were heard:

Multiple shootings involving storm troopers.
Illegal parking of phone booths.
Wookie with a missing arm.
William Shatner wig spotted.
500 people missing after entering a Star Gate.
Cars on fire from dragons.

HAHAHA!! That is too funny. I'm sure 'Spock missing an ear' and '12 sided dice stuck in rectum' has probably been on that list too. But you pretty much nailed all the major fantasy/sci-fi references with those 6 scenarios. Good on you sir.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Yeah, our son was there, he & his gf got home and when I asked him how it was I just got "OK". 24 years old, BioMechanic major and all I get is an "OK"!

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

LOL, a friend of mine vends chainmail clothing and accessories, and was just at DragonCon. I think I'll mention this thread to her :)

sglass

hah

Dragon con was a blast. I just got back last night.

I'm curious what they actually used too. I thought I saw uhf antenna on the radios, but I also thought I saw a chick wearing a bumper sticker as a top too....

I need to revise my comm plan for communications with friends there for next year. Maybe try to get a high room at the marqui or the hyatt and stick a repeater up.

thedogfood

That's me, actually. KG4KKN. But I was never involved with comms for Dragoncon and last volunteered there in '96 or '97. Up until 2009, I did comms for another convention but we did use some of the same gear. No longer doing any of that stuff.

Dragocon rents their gear from Bill and the gang at Musimatic aka MMI, who's frequencies can be found on the FCC site under the company name. They are licensed for this sort of thing. Not sure they had the portable repeaters on site this year. Normally lots of handhelds.

The mix of what appear to be privately owned radios may have just been emptying out the stock room to put working radios everywhere. They normally use UHF Motorola SP50s but they do have others like MT200s.

But the MMI frequencies are known and used year after year and there are many annual volunteers who work many conventions and have the skill and cash to provide their own radio (Wouxun, Baofeng, whatever) and program it to avoid having to deal with an SP50, the Chauchat of radios. brr

The great thing about narrowbanding is that it will make the SP50s obsolete. They need to throw a Viking funeral for those things, honestly.

The communciations coordinator for the event is (or was, haven't spoken to him in a couple of years) Patrick, KG4KKN. You should hit him up and ask him, he would know exactly what radios and systems are utlitized as he is the one in charge of that part of it. His address is good on QRZ, I think he's a member here too.

Porkins

Yeah, our son was there, he & his gf got home and when I asked him how it was I just got "OK". 24 years old, BioMechanic major and all I get is an "OK"!

Sometimes it is just OK, but there are some great times to be had. Dragon*con has out grown the space they rent, they need to move into a bigger location. Also NEED better security.

TechOps

Premium Subscriber
Dragoncon Radio frequencies

Hi!

DragonCon TechOps here. We handle all the radios used at DragonCon by the volunteers staff.

We currently use several different radios based on the user:

Command Radio: Motorola Cp200 model: aah50rdc9aa2an
Grunt Radio: Motorola

We use 15 different channels based on department

All radio traffic is recorded and playable by anyone after the convention.
The last 10 yrs can be found here:
techops.net » “This is Radio-Free Dragon*Con…”

As for the frequencies...let me get back to you on those. I have them but need to verify were not changing them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 322
Status
Not open for further replies.