MONOC Dispatch North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Interesting

I am hearing Monoc dispatcher on 451.475 loud and clear still, however the units are broken up and often not heard at all. But, definitely not as active as before. I just cannot wrap my head around public safety switching to a cell phone PTT service. What if cell service goes down or their cell battery dies?

Joseph11

I'm hearing a lot of South units responding on UHF. It looks like they're having issues with the Sonim's. I have heard a few references to them being "back up" and them needing to be power cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Awesome! I would not even thing their communications needed to be that private, HIPPA or not, all you ever get is an address..

I know some have posted, they are trying to keep the scanner enthusiasts out, but there has to be more to it than that.

Septa3371CSX1

Awesome! I would not even thing their communications needed to be that private, HIPPA or not, all you ever get is an address..

I know some have posted, they are trying to keep the scanner enthusiasts out, but there has to be more to it than that.

I'd say they're going the cheap route. The Sonim pictured on the website looks like the Android version my first Android (Samsung Continuum) had - unless that is just a stock picture. Either way those devices look cheap.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Unfortunately as 902 said most management doesn't know the difference between a cell phone and a 2-way radio they just see it as a communication device, and they don't care as long as it does what the salesman said it would(we know how that goes). Cell phones are not and very likely will never be hardened and have built in redundantcy, as they are CONSUMER items. Home or office phones were never hardened years back unless you paid Ma Bell for it, and most consumers(under 30 crowd) just want to text, tweet,send pictures and don't care if they get there now, today, or next week. Verizon tried a Nextel style 2-way some years back and it was a dismal failure. I see this application, which means it isn't even built into the hardware going the same route. I did notice that the phones's flyer didn't state Public Safety on it, just enterprise which is business.

Management is always looking for the cheapest least labor intensive and dumbest way to do things. Part of the problem is training, why train some one to properly use a 2-way for the area you are in and who you need to contact when you can get a smart phone(which is in itself dumb the infrastructure is the smart part) to do what you need. It also goes to the quality of the employee, sure anybody can work a smart phone, but give most people a 2-way and they freeze up not knowing what to do.

I have had the same argument brought up by Firemen and Police as to why can't my radio work like a smartphone, well because the radio isn't. It's made to withstand much more abuse, and made to talk to a specific group, not the whole world.

Hopefully this project will fail and you will hear the radio systems come back to life.

A few things -
HIPAA - there's a lawyer industry out there that intentionally seeks to make the law as complicated as possible, then assert their need in helping medical types across the HIPAA street without getting run over by other lawyers. They also go after dispatch centers. In general, if a dispatch center is not part of a "covered" entity -- and MONOC just might be, since it's part of a hospital -- it's exempt from HIPAA.

Hardening of handheld devices - none of those things in the fliers look hardened, even though they might be in comparison to a regular cellphone. Just about all of the manufacturers are dumping R&D dollars at making an LTE device (that's a device that works on a 4G and above cellular system) that "feels like" and "works like" a two-way radio. It's not impossible and there are proofs of concept floating around. If anyone goes to IWCE, keep your eyes open for the big two manufacturers. As far as pushing data, data doesn't care if it's riding on cellular, a radio channel (if it's wide enough), microwaves, or a laser beam. As long as the transport doesn't introduce errors, the medium is only a pipe between the "subscriber" and the network.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Ironically, while searching for DMR systems today, I came across a UHF link frequency for MONOC. 466.8625, PL 136.5. I am getting a pretty strong signal in Southern Warren County.

I am mostly hearing dispatches, but on occasion I do pick up a mobile unit, and Atlantic Air also.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I can just barely hear it on my HT here at my house - almost all the dispatches I hear are Morris County addresses. This sounds like a simulcast of the 155.265 channel (is that even still in use?).

Can you Morris County guys give a listen and report your signal strength? Of course, there's nothing in the FCC database remotely close to MONOC licensed to that frequency...

elias1988

Feed Provider
We're gonna have to be patient with both these feeds if they go offline,plus it's Sunday I'm sure IT weren't working.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I saw the North Jersey one pop up the other day, they did all that to go private but then the MONOC IT posted feed?

From what I've heard MONOC IT is about as happy with the Sonim plan as both radio enthusiasts and some volunteer agencies are.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Its alllll politics...

I dont think the switchover was as much for privacy as it was more for coverage and future expansion in technology.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
From what I've heard MONOC IT is about as happy with the Sonim plan as both radio enthusiasts and some volunteer agencies are.

I see... makes sense. Have to say I have not heard them this clear in a long time. The UHF for this area always had a horrible sound to it.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
The south feed sounds like they are having issues. Lots of digital "stops"/suddenly no audio then audio resumes as they seem to have cell network issues.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
The south feed sounds like they are having issues. Lots of digital "stops"/suddenly no audio then audio resumes as they seem to have cell network issues.

I have not listened down there, but I do recall a lot of dead areas for cells down there. Guess they will have to see how it plays out.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Have to say I have not heard them this clear in a long time.

The "claim" was always that there was an illegal user in the Elizabeth/Staten Island area in close proximity on the band to their frequency that was putting out some seriously beyond legal limit power, causing serious bleedover and intermod in general. To me it generally sounded more like MONOC's repeater output was off frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.