Monroe County/Rochester LE Call Sign Suffixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed RPD, various towns, MCSO, and state all using suffixes that I cannot figure out the meaning of. State Police seem to use it to designate rank, such as SP-51-Sam being asked whether or not to call off a pursuit, however I've also heard SP-##-David units (main example being SP-45-David being heard for several days on RPD channels), which remain a mystery.

I would assume it has something to do with MCSO zones, but the same suffixes seem to be used for town PDs, MCSO, and RPD, mainly Adam, Baker, Charlie and (rarely) David. It appears to have no connection to the few units that have a similar prefix system, however these units are rare and non-patrol, such as Sierra-1 and 2 (MCSO SWAT), and King-9-7-Charlie (unknown, heard on a stakeout, "King-9-7-Charlie will be assisting, use as needed").

They seem to only be used for patrol units, as well as patrol sergeants all across the board. Perhaps it has something to do with shifts, but that wouldn't account for David units. I would assume they were detail, but I've heard the unit 279-David on RPD East Admin, RPD detail units always identify as Detail-## and David units seem to be actively on patrol.

Anyone have any ideas?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps it has something to do with shifts

That.

If you happen to be listening around shift change you can see it in action ... the dispatcher will ask, "Is the Baker car or the Charlie car", since car numbers are reused, at least for MCSO. Back in the day, the number on the car == the car number, but you'll notice that MCSO cars have four-digit numbers on them but the "car numbers" are all three digits.

It's possible that the SPs use the names differently.

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
Detectives?

I think that can be ruled out, not only because of the shift answers, but because I often hear detectives identify as "Investigator" and then their last name, or some evidently non-patrol call sign (such as 990# being detectives working crowd control detail).

What sallen 7 said. A B C are shifts, D is either an over lap shift or a detail unit.

Thanks for clearing that up, I had been wondering for a while. Now I just have to look into the SP situation, and still try to figure out who the hell King-9-7-Charlie is.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
For clarity, SP units might be assigned to interstate patrols within the City of Rochester, at least they were when I retired. In that case they are logged into CAD with a shift designator and are dispatched by one of the city police dispatchers.

k2hz

Database Admin
Not sure about present numbering but I think K-9-x units are Canine units. The Charlie suffix would be the shift as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.