most popular software

Status
Not open for further replies.

9erhater

I am sure you all have your favorites, but what is the easiest software to use for a newbie such as myself. I have had scanners in the past. and have purchased a uniden bcn396t digital scanner. so I am wondering what software would be best for me with use of this site. and or for transferring in data to a program to help with monitoring. I completely understand that this radio is a bit more advanced and has a longer learning curve but since I was in a head on collision, I have nothing but time on my hands. I am in the marin county area, and any help will be appreciated.
thank you in advance

Ed

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Marin County Georgia?

I'm sure you mean the BCD396T - anyway, it's really not the software that makes DMA easy to understand; you need to sit down and understand how it works first, in my not so humble opinion...let's address that in a minute (all links are in blue, here and in the wiki)

Anyway, go get a copy of FreeScan We host the user manual in our wiki here (it's freeware). You can always go to ProScan or ARC396 later and not have lost anything...

Now for DMA Concepts - go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad and float your mouse over wiki. Click on Wiki home. About 2/3 way down on the right, in the Popular Topics section is a link to the Uniden DMA FAQ, which will get you started in understanding terms and concepts. At the bottom of the article are the links to the Easier to Read online manuals. Download the one for the 396.

There's a couple of additional recommendations. Up in the Links for Newcomers area, read the Connecting scanners via USB article; this one discusses getting a USB cable and installing drivers. You will need this to make the connection between the PC and scanner. If you are not familiar with trunking, I would read the Trunking Basics article.

Take the time to examine our database and wiki - in the wiki home page, on the left in the Gateways area, click on Collaboration. Follow that to your state (and most state pages have a link for associated counties - I don't know if we have something for your county, but it's worth learning how to navigate). The database can be accessed by clicking on the blue toolbar under the site title on 'database'.

That ought to keep you busy for a spell. 73 Mike

9erhater

thank you, I do appreciate the help. I was looking at freescan, but I guess I was thinking it was still having freeze issues. I was thinking of getting the brutel software, for some reason I was under the impression it was more user friendly. I dont mind spending the money if it makes my world a little easier. I did update my profile so I live in california not georgia although that would be a very nice place to live right now. sorry about thr typeo. it is a uniden bcd396t scanner. I may have bit off a little more then I wanted to, but I have nothing but time to learn now. and I am sure that once I figure out the ins and outs of this scanner I will be very satisfied. I am currently awaiting for the usb connector that I ordered online. so I can get the full experience.
thanks
Ed

tvande

It's been suggested several times before, but since FreeSCAN *is* free, you can start with it and if it proves to be something you'd prefer not to use, you can then move on to a pay software.

BTW - I think you mean Butel (no R) for the other software. <g>

Tom

Viper43

I prefer FreeScan, partly because 1 program works with both my T and XT scanners and I don't need multiple programs to program the scanners. I also like the fact it doesn't cost extra to have logging (Butel charges extra for that function!!! ands it isn't even available yet for XT's!) and the price is right too for FreeScan, and you can donate to Assaf for his hard work on it if you like it.

9erhater

thanks guys, I downloaded freescan, it looks like a pretty good program, very user friendly. now I just need to figure out what everything means and what order to put it in. sorry about the poor spelling. It was just my medication kicking in. good ol pain pills, I do appreciate all the info I have be doing lots of reading lately. lots of good stuff. I have lots to learn.

LordJ

I strongly suggest you try the Proscan software. I was hesitant at first, but easily well worth the money. You can run multiple amounts of radios with no problem, and the recording is great. Easy to program, easier with a RR Subscription. Try the demo..

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Software

thanks guys, I downloaded freescan, it looks like a pretty good program, very user friendly. now I just need to figure out what everything means and what order to put it in. sorry about the poor spelling. It was just my medication kicking in. good ol pain pills, I do appreciate all the info I have be doing lots of reading lately. lots of good stuff. I have lots to learn.

I have FREESCAN, ProSCAN, ARC 996, and ARC XT and I use them ALL. Each has it advantages and disadvantages. One thing I like with the BUTEL software is being able to use the SYSTEM KEY Overview and drop and click it where I want to. Makes it nice to locate systems on the keys you want to. FREESCAN is FREE and it works fine. I use PROSCAN to run my two FEEDS but not usually for programming. May be that I started with ARC996 for my BCD996T and got use to it. But read the WIKI and start with FREESCAN and you'll be fine. Enjoy the Hobby.

KC9LVX Evansville, IN and Henderson, KY feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.