BCD396XT/BCD996XT: MOSWIN p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerhead313

Qustion about MOSWIN, P25 didgital trunk system.
Not picking up the traffic even when you lock on to a single talk group.

If you compare the scanner and my fire dept radio, the scanner will sometimes only pick up some of the traffic, somethimes all of it and somethimes none.

Any ideas.

Thanks Joe

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Qustion about MOSWIN, P25 didgital trunk system.
Not picking up the traffic even when you lock on to a single talk group.

If you compare the scanner and my fire dept radio, the scanner will sometimes only pick up some of the traffic, somethimes all of it and somethimes none.

Any ideas.

Thanks Joe

Do you know how much your FD is affiliated with MOSWIN?

Some public safety agencies are totally affiliated, some partially, and some only one channel is affiliated with MOSWIN so, all the other activity is broadcast on their old non MOSWIN channels.

I assume your signal strength is OK from the control channel.

Hammerhead313

Our city is a tier 1, the highest level, In our city there are 3 other agencys operating on the system ( all police ) but we all use the same dispatch center. Troop I is in our city, and the tower is also in the city.

Joe

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, that answers all my questions.

I cannot seem to find in MOSWIN where Rolla FD is assigned a specific talk-group.

What talk-group are you hearing the Rolla FD?

Below is what is presently on the RR database.

Phelps County Talkgroups
DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
6203 183b D Rolla Police Rolla Police: Dispatch Law Dispatch
6215 1847 D MST Police MO Sci and Tech University Law Dispatch
6217 1849 D PhelpSheriff Phelps County Sheriff: Dispatch Law Dispatch

Region I - Interoperability Talkgroups
DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
3684 e64 D Reg-I Fire 1 Region I - Fire 1 Fire-Talk
3685 e65 D Reg-I Fire 2 Region I - Fire 2 Fire-Talk
3686 e66 D Reg-I Fire 3 Region I - Fire 3 Fire-Talk

If this is up to date it would appear that the Rolla FD is perhaps only using MOSWIN for “interoperability”. This could explain getting partial transmissions sometimes.

Have you checked at the Missouri Forum to see if they have more info?

Hammerhead313

I am using 996xt, Rolla city fire is on the system. Talk group 6220. Ambulance is comming on soon, Talk group 6221.

I have tested MSHP,RPD and PCSD, they are doing the same thing. There is no ryme or reason that I have seen as to why its doing this.

Joe

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I am using 996xt, Rolla city fire is on the system. Talk group 6220. Ambulance is comming on soon, Talk group 6221.

I have tested MSHP,RPD and PCSD, they are doing the same thing. There is no ryme or reason that I have seen as to why its doing this.

Joe

You might considered turning in this apparent new info to the RR database for MOSWIN as at present I cannot seem to find them listed. However, the rate at which changes are being made in MOSWIN (including soon in my hometown) this does not surprise me at all.

Are you scanning in ID Search or ID Scan mode?

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Remember, in a wide area trunking system, a unit has to be affiliated with the tower you are listening to with their radio set to a specific talk group in order for it to transmit on that tower. If a unit is somewhere the radio decides another tower site has a stronger channel it will jump and you won't hear them.

This has been a common complaint on the Kansas system. Not just for scanner listeners, but for end users. Here is an example, two troopers are working a neighboring counties and both are operating on the same talk group- let's just call it Dispatch. Their car radios are affiliated with different towers, but when Dispatch keys up the controller knows that there are units affiliated with each tower and broadcasts over both of them. They also get to hear each other talking on that talk group to dispatch.

Now, one of the troopers decides to call the other trooper to schedule a break. To keep the Dispatch talk group clear, he switches to the car to car talk group and calls his partner. When he transmits, the controller sees what towers someone has a radio set on car to car and transmits over those towers... But his partner does not hear it because no one on the tower he is affiliated with has a radio set to car to car. As a result, you will usually hear units calling others on the dispatch channel to switch to another specific talk group so that they can talk to one another.

If you have a multicasting subsystem throughout a county, you can usually avoid this. But with a single site it is easy for units to jump to other towers as they move around. I have had a unit stand next to me and affiliate with a different tower.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what all is involved with the programming on a uniden, I have a pro106 and pro197 and they pick up the Rolla MOSWIN traffic fine. I am probably about 15 to 20 miles from their tower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I am scanning in ID scan mode.

If you have TG 6220 programmed in your ID scan mode it should work. In ID search mode you could be on another TG while the RFD was broadcasting but ID scan mode should avoid that problem.

Have you asked if anyone knows if the RFD runs all of their traffic through TG 6220?

Hammerhead313

We are dispatched using the fire repeater system, and when we go inroute and on scene traffic it is done on TG 6220.

Additional info, the problem is with all of the TG's. All of them are having the problem of not picking up all of the traffic. I wounder if the problem is me, I did the programing by hand. The computer is not able to done load the programing system used on RR. I wounder if deleated the info and found a different computer and tryed RR again.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
We are dispatched using the fire repeater system, and when we go inroute and on scene traffic it is done on TG 6220.

Additional info, the problem is with all of the TG's. All of them are having the problem of not picking up all of the traffic. I wounder if the problem is me, I did the programing by hand. The computer is not able to done load the programing system used on RR. I wounder if deleated the info and found a different computer and tryed RR again.

You might double check to make for sure you have all the control channels programmed in including the alternates.

Also make for sure the "Service Types" for all the different Fire communications are ON in all FL or "sites" you are monitoring. In addition, make for sure that all the Fire TGs and Freqs. that you have programmed in have the correct "Service Type" assigned to them too.

JoeyC

Since the OP is using a 996XT, Service Types and FLs are irrelevant.

OP: What site are you listening to? As was mentioned earlier, if there is no affiliation to the site you are listening to, then you will hear nothing. Is there another site nearby that the units could possibly be affiliated to that you haven't got programmed?

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Since the OP is using a 996XT, Service Types and FLs are irrelevant.

OP: What site are you listening to? As was mentioned earlier, if there is no affiliation to the site you are listening to, then you will hear nothing. Is there another site nearby that the units could possibly be affiliated to that you haven't got programmed?

Your are correct, my mistake!

I am so use to x36 radio questions in the last few weeks but none the less I should have been more careful.

Thanks for catching that as it could cause some confusion and I think we have enough of that as it is.

JoeyC

Your are correct, my mistake!

I am so use to x36 radio questions in the last few weeks but none the less I should have been more careful.

Thanks for catching that as it could cause some confusion and I think we have enough of that as it is.

Haha, no problem, I did the exact same thing just yesterday in another thread as well.

WA0I

I too am receiving partial transmissions from the Rolla MoSWIN site. My programming only includes the Rolla site. It would seem to me that there would always be a unit affiliated to it. The BCD996XT is placed on HOLD on a talkgroup and still often misses the first few seconds of a transmission...sometimes as much as 12 seconds. I sent the scanner in under warranty twice and they replaced it. The replacement does the same thing so, I am probably just not quite aware of how it is acting as it should, due to affiliations. However, listening and comparing on-line shows the scanner hooked to broadcastify.com, is superior, either in device or programming.

SCPD

QRT
I too am receiving partial transmissions from the Rolla MoSWIN site. My programming only includes the Rolla site. It would seem to me that there would always be a unit affiliated to it. The BCD996XT is placed on HOLD on a talkgroup and still often misses the first few seconds of a transmission...sometimes as much as 12 seconds. I sent the scanner in under warranty twice and they replaced it. The replacement does the same thing so, I am probably just not quite aware of how it is acting as it should, due to affiliations. However, listening and comparing on-line shows the scanner hooked to broadcastify.com, is superior, either in device or programming.
Have you contacted the Owner of the feed for some advise?

WA0I

I do not know who the owner of the feed is. The above posts are encouraging me to add the surrounding MoSWIN sites. I will post results in the next day or two.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Just a maybe, but I do remember someone having similar issues with and they accidently had enabled the weather alert feature which caused a similar issue. I haven't noticed any issues with either my pro106 and 197 with Rolla but will pay a little closer attention next couple days to see if I notice anything like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.