• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX series as receive only

Mikeyb101

Premium Subscriber
I know I will probably get a lot of grief for asking this, HOWEVER, I do own the sds100, I would really like to have a Motorola APX preferably the APX8000 (way out of budget) I'll settle for the APX900 (more within budget) I plan on doing this all legitimately. My question is. Is it possible to use the APX900 as a scanner? I plan on carrying it around everywhere.I appreciate how it is waterproof, the ruggedness,the look, the feel ,just everything about the Motorola is awesome to be frank. Please be nice. This is simply an inquiry.

K2NEC

Yes its possible. You'll get different results however compared to the SDS100 since the APX isn't a "scanner".

Mikeyb101

Premium Subscriber
Yes , I totally understand that it's completely different (and somewhat the same) than a scanner., I appreciate the response . Okay awesome

Mikeyb101

Premium Subscriber
I realize that their is a whole lot of research that is involved. I just wanted to make sure it's possible.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I plan on doing this all legitimately.
By the letter of the law, not possible for trunking, which requires a system key to create a trunked system and modify parameters. You may be able to get away with scanning a Phase I FDMA system by using the default SysID 1, however that's not going to work for a Phase II TDMA system. The only legitimate way to obtain a system key for programming is to get the permission of the system admin, which seems unlikely.

For conventional stuff, knock yourself out, but probably best to stick with the scanner for trunking.

Waiting for our resident inventor and expert on all things NAS to chime in...

Asunakiyori

Lurker
conventional is the only RX only... trunked will always tx even if your arent hitting ptt.... its just data but thats a bad thing since then you associate... then the system admin sees unknown id and ohai paperweight

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
conventional is the only RX only... trunked will always tx even if your arent hitting ptt.... its just data but thats a bad thing since then you associate... then the system admin sees unknown id and ohai paperweight
If done correctly, a radio setup for the so-called "non-affiliate scan" aka NAS (it's actually non-registration with modern P25 systems) will not transmit anything. That's kind of the whole point of setting it up that way, whereby the radio is parked on a conventional frequency and scans trunked talkgroups using a Multi-System Talkgroup or Intelligent Priority type scan list.

Mikeyb101

Premium Subscriber
Mmmm. . . Interesting stuff.
Sounds like I have a lot to learn
Research. GOOD TIMES.
Thank you everyone! Now I know it's possible. 👍
YAY
I love Motorola ALWAYS HAVE

Asunakiyori

Lurker
If done correctly, a radio setup for the so-called "non-affiliate scan" aka NAS (it's actually non-registration with modern P25 systems) will not transmit anything. That's kind of the whole point of setting it up that way, whereby the radio is parked on a conventional frequency and scans trunked talkgroups using a Multi-System Talkgroup or Intelligent Priority type scan list.
YOU SAID THE VERBOTEN WORD.... YOU HAVE INVOKED ELROY! EVERY ONE RUN

Mikeyb101

Premium Subscriber
One more thing , if no one minds. If anyone can refer somewhere I can purchase one. Not "flea bay" . Brand spanking new one.?
Once again, thank you everyone for the input! Much obliged

Asunakiyori

Lurker
One more thing , if no one minds. If anyone can refer somewhere I can purchase one. Not "flea bay" . Brand spanking new one.?
Once again, thank you everyone for the input! Much obliged
a motorola dealer? .... I highly doubt a motodealer would sell a fully loaded TRS Flashcoded unit to a ham they don't want that flack....some "flea bay" units are brand new just never deployed I've had some luck with my 7k and my 4k both were brand new in the plastic packaging

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
Consider using a Harris radio instead. It's much easier to scan P25 systems with them, WITHOUT transmitting accidentally.
I'd recommend an XL200P if you have the budget for it. I can even assist in getting features and bands added to it, for a significant discount off of the retail price for those upgrades.

I note that my fan club got here early.

1720414682261.gif

DewAddict

Second vote for Harris. I own an XG-100P and it's great. No worries of PTT or registration as long as you check the proper boxes in the RPM software. Wanting to upgrade to an XL-200 but I have been holding off since I hear different opinions on how the new RPM software works with "NAS." Moto "NAS" has a steep learning curve if you're completely brand new to programming it and it only takes one inadvertent registration attempt to really ruin your day. Just not worth the risk to me so I went the Harris route.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
What would be the equivalent Harris radio for 700/800 NAS P25 P1 and P2 trunking? (sorry not trying to hijack the thread) Local agency has gone P25 and Unication G4 and BK KNG2-P800 dont decode as well as my SDS100. So looking at Harris now.