• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX6000/SRX2200 Volume Knob Damage

dudeman105

Hello all. This is my first post after lurking for a long while.

I currently use an SRX2200 AN Model 1.5 radio and recently it was dropped from a fair height directly onto the volume knob. The result was the knob and the connector to the knob (including the spanner) was disconnected from the radio. The knob and the knob connector (a thin metal rod that connects the knob to the Control Top) was not able to be recovered. Exposed is an o-ring and metal bits that were fractured off. In order to completely repair the radio do I have to purchase a complete Control Top Assembly (P/N 1375044C09 1375044C05 1375044C03) or can I purchase the missing component and avoid spending $500+? (If the latter, what P/N would it be?) Having looked at the APX6000 service manual I can see that it is most likely a whole Top Control Assembly replacement. I am aware that I need to purchase the SRX Volume Knob (P/N 3675581B02) as well. Another concern that I have is that if I need to purchase another Top Control Assembly would I have to worry about AN/BN mismatch?

As I was typing the above I was pulling off the knob on another SRX2200 radio for reference pictures and the component I was describing came off with it. It would appear that I may need to repair 2 radios now.

These radios are personally serviced yet have clean histories so if need be I could send them in to a repair shop. I would like to avoid this if possible and purchase the components and repair the radio myself. I have access to a clean room and money is not an issue.

Thank you for your time,
-dudeman105

Attachments

• srx.jpg
    srx.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 46
  • srx2.jpg
    srx2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 46
  • srx3.jpg
    srx3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 43
  • srx4.jpg
    srx4.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 45

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Colleague just experienced the exact same with a 6000AN. He purchased a new control top from this seller on eBay, along with an X tool to remove it (you'll also need a standard Torx T8 driver/bit), and the repair went smoothly, radio back in working order.

dudeman105

Thank you for the reply! This puts me at ease. With the combined cost under $300 this is very easy to digest.

It definitely caught me off guard once I realized that the Control Tops from Wiscomm are ~$500 a piece.

Thank you again!
-dudeman105

K2NEC

Colleague just experienced the exact same with a 6000AN. He purchased a new control top from this seller on eBay, along with an X tool to remove it (you'll also need a standard Torx T8 driver/bit), and the repair went smoothly, radio back in working order.

+1 on this. I bought a parts APX once with the same issue and I was able to get it up and running in like 30 mins. Just a reminder that you will need to disassemble the front of the radio in order to remove the flex that connects the top display and knobs. I spent 5 of those 30 mins scratching my head as to how I was going to get it disconnected.
Good luck

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Not just the front grille and speaker module, but the expansion board must also be removed to access the flex cable connectors for the control top. Oh and be careful when removing the concentric switch from the top bezel, it's a bit tricky. All instructions should be in the BSM.

jruta

On this topic, am I correct in that the AN/BN control tops are not interchangeable? Thanks

Ffd55nj

With the 6000’s (the fire version specifically), I am just curious as to how durable the channel selector and volume knowbs on these radios actually are. Is repair of these knobs a common issue?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The AN 6000 and 6000XEs made in certain batches in 2013 had a defective part from the supplier. There was an MTN but it has long expired, and with AN radios kicked to the curb, the parts are NLA. Other than these specific radios, the control tops are pretty durable.

AES-256-Encryption

Based in the US, always nationwide

that wont work, if its AN he has to get a AN top.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That’s what I’d thought but apparently they seem to work
Be careful believing everything you read on the Internet. In a case like this with control tops, sometimes the best course of action is to see for yourself if the parts are interchangeable. "Do they actually work?" There are countless errors in MSI's service manuals and other documentation, therefore I would never rely solely on them, regardless of whether or not it's "official source material". They are sloppy.

AES-256-Encryption

Based in the US, always nationwide
Link to those Motorola docs, please. Are you referring to MTN's that were issued? BSM/DSM documentation? Sources, please, for the benefit of all reading here.
It’s in my books. Let me find it and I’ll send a copy of it

Zuker145

Please elaborate. I’ve got an AN radio, are you saying the BN tops are compatible?

Thanks
I've done many repairs on these radios and the AN control top will work on the BN radios, BUT you just need to swap the LCD displays. Use the display that was on your radio (unless it's damaged of course, then you're screwed and need to buy the whole control top). If you put a BN control top on an AN radio, the display will light up but no text will appear, so you swap the old AN display into the BN control top and you're good to go. Motorola doesn't sell the AN control tops any more, so when an AN cones in with a bad volume pot, I use a BN control top, and swap out the BN display with the AN display and it works perfectly fine. I've done this with probably 6 or 7 APX6000's for one of our fire departments with 100% success.