• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR 7550, I need help! Confused....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heynow1

Hello all, I'm seeking a little advice, After reading through some of the threads, I see you all know your stuff..

This weekend I visited the local Flea market and picked up a few things.
One of which is a Motorola XPR 7550.
I know nothing about these.
I Google'd it and there's alot to these.
I had to have a friend charge the battery for me at his work. It powers on,and there are different channels, looks like they're for a business. I went to https://www.tracechecker.com and it came up clean...Any ideas of what I can do with this? I appreciate any assistance you can offer. Thank you.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I'm seeking a little advice, After reading through some of the threads, I see you all know your stuff..

This weekend I visited the local Flea market and picked up a few things.
One of which is a Motorola XPR 7550.
I know nothing about these.
I Google'd it and there's alot to these.
I had to have a friend charge the battery for me at his work. It powers on,and there are different channels, looks like they're for a business. I went to https://www.tracechecker.com and it came up clean...Any ideas of what I can do with this? I appreciate any assistance you can offer. Thank you.

It has to be programmed with the Motorola software, which is not free. Motorola charges a few hundred dollars for it. So you can either find a Moto radio shop/dealer and have it programmed (they'll likely charge you but not a few hundred hundred) or go through the process to get an account setup with Motorola and then buy the software and cable.

Or, of course, the other option is to sell it if that all sounds like too much trouble.

They are nice radios, though. Sounds like if you keep it you'll have to buy a charger, too. I'm guessing you got a great deal on it?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Typically something you don't find at a flea market. Curious, how much did you pay for it ?

These radios (top tier DMR series from Motorola) can be used for a variety of things like Ham radio, GMRS/MURS service or in the commercial/business industries. Some public safety agencies use them also. Most all require a FCC license except MURS.

If you research the model number on the radio label under the battery it will tell you what band it operates on.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
It has to be programmed with the Motorola software, which is not free. Motorola charges a few hundred dollars for it. So you can either find a Moto radio shop/dealer and have it programmed (they'll likely charge you but not a few hundred hundred) or go through the process to get an account setup with Motorola and then buy the software and cable.

Or, of course, the other option is to sell it if that all sounds like too much trouble.

They are nice radios, though. Sounds like if you keep it you'll have to buy a charger, too. I'm guessing you got a great deal on it?

Trbo CPS is less than $200 for the download currently on MOL. It's also rampantly available in other places for free.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Trbo CPS is less than $200 for the download currently on MOL. It's also rampantly available in other places for free.

OK, they must have lowered the price. I paid over $300 not long ago. And to obtain it for free is illegal and Moto does not take that lightly. (That's been discussed ad nauseam on here.)

HummerMike

Hello ................. The 7550 is a high end Mototrbo radio. The first thing I would do is google the model number of the radio. It is located on a sticker under the battery compartment. Then you will know if it is a VHF or UHF version. I would order a good charger off of Ebay. Now decide what you want to do with it. If you know nothing about radios, I don't think I would not worry about software just yet. Trying to program a radio can get complicated very fast to a newbie. Maybe get someone to read it and see what is programmed in it. From there either sell it on or put it on something you have a use for, an approved to use on.

Mike

Heynow1

Typically something you don't find at a flea market. Curious, how much did you pay for it ?

That's what I thought, and why I bought it. It was with a bunch of other electronics in a bin I bought. I paid $300 for the entire bin. It was full of goodies. Video games, tablets, 2 Motorola radios, 4k blu-ray player, etc...

Heynow1

I can't find it, and paying for the software would be pointless for me. As I do not need it. All I would do with the software is factory reset the radio,then sell.
Seems like a lot of work....lol

Heynow1

If you're not looking to keep it, perhaps offer it up for sale. Those are usually good radios.

I'm definitely not interested in keeping it. I have no use for it. I would list it on ebay but I don't know how it works as far as radios go....

Heynow1

Hello ................. The 7550 is a high end Mototrbo radio. The first thing I would do is google the model number of the radio. It is located on a sticker under the battery compartment. Then you will know if it is a VHF or UHF version. I would order a good charger off of Ebay. Now decide what you want to do with it. If you know nothing about radios, I don't think I would not worry about software just yet. Trying to program a radio can get complicated very fast to a newbie. Maybe get someone to read it and see what is programmed in it. From there either sell it on or put it on something you have a use for, an approved to use on.

Mike

That's what I thought about doing, until I realized how much it involves lol. If I can sell it as it is, I will. As for doing all the work, ordering things... Etc... no way I can.

Heynow1

Thank you all for your time and help. It seems the best route to go is to sell it as it is. I'm not a techy guy to be downloading software to probably brick the radio, lol.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your time and help. It seems the best route to go is to sell it as it is. I'm not a techy guy to be downloading software to probably brick the radio, lol.

There is a classifieds section on here. Someone who dabbles in Moto radios may buy it for a reasonable price, but they'd want to know the full model number from the tag on the radio (under the battery).

daugherh

Heynow1, can you post the full model number and stuff from under the battery? If it matches what I'm looking for I'd like to propose an offer to you. You may private message me financials questions if you'd like. Post the model number here in the forum for everyone, to be fair! Thanks.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Let's not forget that sale transactions are to take place in the classifieds and that it requires a Premium Subscription to post items there.

W2PDX

That's what I thought, and why I bought it. It was with a bunch of other electronics in a bin I bought. I paid $300 for the entire bin. It was full of goodies. Video games, tablets, 2 Motorola radios, 4k blu-ray player, etc...

That's fishy. Sounds like the proceeds from a residential burglary.

Heynow1

That's fishy. Sounds like the proceeds from a residential burglary.

I don't know if you have ever been to a flea market, but everything there seems like it would be "Hot" items.
I go to the same one at least once a month and I've been buying from this guy for over a year. Also, if you read the op, I mentioned how I checked to be sure it's not stolen. Thanks.

W2PDX

Yes, I've been to flea markets before and I agree, a lot of things appear "to good to be true." If you're confident it's not stolen then it sounds like you got a good deal. I'm not familiar with the website you quoted but keep in mind that alot of third party sites like the one you mentioned get their data from various LE databases, often with significant delays so something stolen last week may not make it to those sites for some time, if at all. They rely on serial numbers so if the owner can't find the SN the stolen item will get entered in a generic property field and is essentially untraceable.

Again, sounds like you bought from a trusted seller and did your best to verify that everything was legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.