MotoTRBO and similar systems in Alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I picked up 424.2875 over the past couple of days in Calgary. Unlicensed at least as far as TAFL is concerned. I'll have to try to get a decode of it soon.

Caught a CW ID on this channel this morning. VEB516 - again, not in the TAFL. Maybe the database is not caught up (application stuck in the mail? ;) ). I'll keep watching this.

All I'm hearing are "idle bursts" - will park the PSR800 on this freq and let it record for a while to see if it picks anything else up.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
My guess is private sector rather than public service going by the callsign. I see VEB513 is a communications company which would be a good guess or the oil industry. We shall see soon.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I was in Canmore and Banff today checking out the performance of the HP1 Extreme upgrade. 153.305 / 153.585 is still firmly in use as a repeater for Alpine Helicopters in analog with a CT of 203.5.

Still hearing 424.2875, still no license.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Came back to this thread to post that 171.27 (the former Airdrie EMS freq) now has TRBO activity on it. Airdrie Fire is operating in analog on their 169.74 freq still, but I have a feeling it might be just a matter of time before they start buzzing too.

Just looked for VEB516 in the TAFL now that I was reminded of it by this thread - still nothing.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber

Am still hearing this in south Calgary. Listened for about 3 minutes and 6 burst of activity, generally 3 or 4 seconds in duration with one 2 seconds. This was at 2225 hours on 2011 Dec. 13. I know I brought up the 153.305 TRBO sound in Calgary but have locked it out of my scanners recently so can't comment if still hearing on this frequency in Calgary. I will say the the previous frequencies of 462.2375 and 462.5375 have much more activity in TRBO to the point I am ready to lock them out. Fortunately, I haven't heard any other frequencies I have programmed, coming out in TRBO. Certainly is a nusiance with the racket TRBO causes. Did search and found a listing for PCC Communications [XspanServ] with a tower northeast of Chestermere. They do sell or rent TRBO radios. This was the closest I could find to Calgary.

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber

TRBO heard this afternoon in SE and SW Calgary. Frequency links show it to have similar people licensed as on 153.305. Tried to listen to frequency pair of 158.205 but nothing heard. I have had this frequency listed as Alberta Wide, McDermid trucking, Rockyview Municipal District #44, and Abitibi Helicopters. Did not show up on Uniden as P25. Unfortunately, I locked it out of both the Truckers bank and Other EMS bank that I have created. All these TRBOs are starting to mean that scanner is useless.

Jay911

Feed Provider
TAC Solutions (formerly TAC Mobility) appears to have a TRBO or NEXEDGE system in operation. I heard what I think were idle bursts on 860.3125.

Motorola sysid 6904 is still in operation with a small handful of users, according to the analyze function on my HP1.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Agree

But it does sound more like TRBO than NEXEDGE. I even thought that it may be P25 but have not tried to listen with a digital radio. Have locked out the frequencies on one scanner so haven't listened for this the last few weeks. Although I have heard analog on TAC system this week. And 171.27 in south Calgary have had these periodical idle bursts. Although I did hear the same thing travelling north of Airdrie this past weekend. Still hearing fire on the 169.74 frequency but also on Calgary Digital.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
U of A Hospital Security 461.4375 has gone Turbo. They join U of A Campus Security on their trunked Turbo system. I don't know yet whether they have access to each others systems. Hospital Security is also responsible for securing the helipad for STARS.

SCPD

QRT
Two Hills County FD/PW repeater is now MotoTrbo. 169.530

Some locals have stated that they are still hearing analogue as well. I read that the system can run in mixed mode to support both. As I am only out here on the weekends there isn't much traffic on it.

Now one more reason to get DSD working.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Some public safety agencies have either been sold it as "the latest and best" by dealers/salesmen who just want to push TRBO, with no comment on scanner usage. Others have been told (again, most likely by sales staff) that this will be compatible with the new provincial P25 system (an outright lie).

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
SAIT TRBO

Haven't heard SAIT security lately on 463.7125 but have heard TRBO. Note that TAFL does show this as digital emission if I read it right. Also, the previous strong digital signal on 463.9375 does not seem to be there as I have not heard it over the past couple of months. If it was up near Balzac, the power may have been turned down. I am also entering this information as another thread was started about TRBO system in Airdrie.

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
Haven't heard SAIT security lately on 463.7125 but have heard TRBO. Note that TAFL does show this as digital emission if I read it right. Also, the previous strong digital signal on 463.9375 does not seem to be there as I have not heard it over the past couple of months. If it was up near Balzac, the power may have been turned down. I am also entering this information as another thread was started about TRBO system in Airdrie.

I am listening to SAIT security on 463.7125 with a pl tone of 110.9 .

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
SAIT

Did hear analog on the SAIT frequency this afternoon. I know I heard digital on the frequency on the weekend, so will be more observant on this frequency over the next little while.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I wondered about that. Last week in Edmonton I heard this Turbo signal. I was going over the Anthony Henday at Callingwood Road. It's amazing what distant stations I hear while up there. No shoulder so you can't pull over. I saw that Hobbema license but I thought it was to far away to hear from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.