• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mounting a CB antenna on a modern hatchback without drilling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I hear ya'. Sometimes it feels like if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

As for the permanent NMO mount, it's actually pretty easy to do. I've installed probably 100 of them over the years and I've never had one leak. Using the right tools is mandatory, however, and while there are ways to do it with non-specialized tools, I wouldn't recommend it. Taking it to a real radio shop, one that does commercial or public safety systems would likely be cheaper than doing it yourself.

But, I don't think moving the mount is going to fix this. You have a fundamental issue here with your antenna length, and until you get the antenna cut to something close to a resonant frequency, you are just spinning your wheels.

Antenna analyzer? Well, I have a $20,000 unit at work, but I'm about 700 miles to far away from you.

nonperson

Umm, yeah, sure, if I want to drill a hole and take apart this mount (hich has some kind of silicone or something holding part of it together) I don't want to drill a hole if I don't have to. Knowing my luck I would have rust and or leaking issues. The fact that I am having this many issues with this might imply that, lol.

Put it this way. I had some front end work done, so I needed an alignment. Went to LesSchwab, and it still pulled to the right. (Stock height) Took it back, guy did nothing but switch front tires, said I can't do anything now it pulls to the left. Nope still to the right. Take back and says he can't do anything. Take to another one, aligns it and same problem. Get a refund. Taje somewhere else and they tell me they have to alighn the rear or I will keep having the problem. I told them it's a solid rear cant align, can only equalize. They insist they have to align so left and Took it to VW. Vw guy tells me I need 4 wheel alignment. LOL I laugh and say no I don't. He says its a gti right? I say yes, but its a MKIV (4th gen) not an MKV(5th gen.). It has a solid rear not an independent. Their mechanics finally fixed it though.

This is what I have to go through it seems for just about everything. I feel like its just this area I live in though. Miss L.A. Everything was within reach.

NO don't attempt to take the coil / base of the antenna apart! I was talking about the lip mount you have. The round threaded brass like piece, the coax is attached to, will easily come out of the trunk lip mount you have. Just have to unscrew the antenna coil / base and the brass like ring. This is just FYI

N8IAA

Yeah, The other option was a 2ft at radio shack. Nothing in 3ft lengths which was wierd to the cb guy, he said "why would they even sell an off length like 10ft"? Umm it has to have a male on both ends to plug into the meter and radio.

A ten foot length is way to long to check SWR for a mobile unit. Soon as you take off the jumper, the SWR will change dramatically. Use the cutting chart for the antenna, and cut it for Ch 19. You will get a decent match across the band. Now, if all you talk on is SSB. Cut it for those frequencies. I used a trunk lip mount for a Larsen 10m/11m antenna on a Dodge Omni for years on 10m. Used to talk on a QRP (5 watts and less) rig. No difference from the CB. My SWR was always below 2:1.
Magmounts do work. Used a Wilson 1K on roof of my truck when going camping with friends in OH. Used it on my move from OH to GA. Freeway speeds most all of the way. Never a problem. SWR 1.5:1.
One question, when he was tuning the antenna for you, was it outside away from buildings, or inside of a building?
Larry

drewdownkali

I hear ya'. Sometimes it feels like if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

As for the permanent NMO mount, it's actually pretty easy to do. I've installed probably 100 of them over the years and I've never had one leak. Using the right tools is mandatory, however, and while there are ways to do it with non-specialized tools, I wouldn't recommend it. Taking it to a real radio shop, one that does commercial or public safety systems would likely be cheaper than doing it yourself.

But, I don't think moving the mount is going to fix this. You have a fundamental issue here with your antenna length, and until you get the antenna cut to something close to a resonant frequency, you are just spinning your wheels.

Antenna analyzer? Well, I have a $20,000 unit at work, but I'm about 700 miles to far away from you.

Wow. You work in the industry huh?

drewdownkali

NO don't attempt to take the coil / base of the antenna apart! I was talking about the lip mount you have. The round threaded brass like piece, the coax is attached to, will easily come out of the trunk lip mount you have. Just have to unscrew the antenna coil / base and the brass like ring. This is just FYI

umm no. I know the diff. between the whip, base of antenna, and the nmo mount. As you can see the gold NMO mount is epoxed in.

Attachments

• DSC01205.JPG
    DSC01205.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 905

drewdownkali

A ten foot length is way to long to check SWR for a mobile unit. Soon as you take off the jumper, the SWR will change dramatically. Use the cutting chart for the antenna, and cut it for Ch 19. You will get a decent match across the band. Now, if all you talk on is SSB. Cut it for those frequencies. I used a trunk lip mount for a Larsen 10m/11m antenna on a Dodge Omni for years on 10m. Used to talk on a QRP (5 watts and less) rig. No difference from the CB. My SWR was always below 2:1.
Magmounts do work. Used a Wilson 1K on roof of my truck when going camping with friends in OH. Used it on my move from OH to GA. Freeway speeds most all of the way. Never a problem. SWR 1.5:1.
One question, when he was tuning the antenna for you, was it outside away from buildings, or inside of a building?
Larry

Yeah it was outside, away from stuff. You really think the 10 foot length would make a difference? CB guy thought it had to do with the fact that is was 10ft and not 3,6,9,12,15,18. Cut it for channel 19?

jhooten

The multiple of 3 feet CB line of crap needs to die a painful and swift death. As long as you are using that 10' jumper you are going to keep chasing your tail.

Short as is possible, a double male connector directly to the back of the radio preferably. One foot ok. Two is pushing it.

drewdownkali

Hmmm. I wouldn't know where to start looking for a 1ft piece of cable with pl259 on both ends let alone how hard it would probably be to tune with that short of a cable. Believe radio shack just has 2ft and 10ft.

N8IAA

Yeah it was outside, away from stuff. You really think the 10 foot length would make a difference? CB guy thought it had to do with the fact that is was 10ft and not 3,6,9,12,15,18. Cut it for channel 19?

Yep. Ch 19. Center of the band for CB's. That way, you have good SWR from 1-40.
Larry

N8IAA

Double male directly to back of radio? How the heck could you do that. As in a double male connector with no coax at all? lol

Yep. It works. How are you powering the radio? Cigarette lighter plug? Put the radio on the roof. When he keys, he can actually see the SWR.
Any length of 3' or longer is resonant on CB frequencies, which means you're tuning the coax, not the antenna.
So, let me guess, your "CB guy" had the meter outside of the vehicle so he could tune the antenna.
I'd find someone in your area that actually knows how to tune the antenna before you ruin your radio.
Larry

drewdownkali

My friend spliced it into the power for my cig lighter temporarily. I don't have the length to get the radio outside of the car.

He did it with everything inside of car. But I have tested myself too all the mall in empty area. All doors closed.

So how would you have room to screw the antenna cable into the back of the meter if the meter and the radio are back to back??

nonperson

umm no. I know the diff. between the whip, base of antenna, and the nmo mount. As you can see the gold NMO mount is epoxed in.

My apologies! I didn't know that mount came with the coax and all connected to it. I used an angle bracket on a NMO mount once and it was separate from the coax and NMO mount. I assumed your style of mount was the same. This was years ago before what I know now. Knowing what I know now I have no problem with the NMO mounts and holes in the vehicle.

The double male connectors they are talking about can probably be found at Radio Shack, some truck stops or on-line.
A short "pig tail" or patch cable (with the connectors on both ends) will also work.

It appears I may be in the minority about trimming the antenna using the chart. Good luck either way! If you do find something that does work please let us know. :)

drewdownkali

All radio shack had was 2ft, 10ft and higher. Everything else they had of a length I would want only had one end with the pl259. Prob would have to order online.

I just imagined that with a two male connector and no coax hooking the meter to the radio would leave little room for the antenna coax to hook up to the meter.

drewdownkali

Holy Crud! I almost just crapped my pants. Put original whip in I went and got back from cb shop. Its just under 47" long still. Maybe 46 and 3/4 or so. Just for the heck of it hooked it all back up and tested in my driveway. (Yes I know, but I still plan to go to open area and retake measurements before making any adjustments). Anyway I put it on channel 1 and then calibrated, flipped switch to swr and it dropped below 1.5!!! Something like 1.2, I couldn't believe it. Tested on 40 an got about 2.5 or something. Pretty sure that means it has to go shorter. But as I said have to retest in better area (the mall).

There was a different guy at cb shop and talked to him a bit. He 2nded lol. or maybe even 3rded some of your ideas that it was so far out of tune that swr was high all around. He mentioned something about if I was to look at the curve for that band with that kind of whip (or something) its pretty narrow.

Thanks guys!! Your the Sheet! Will let you know any further developments.

Status
Not open for further replies.