MSWIN HELP with BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
For kicks if you want...

I made an Entergy system with only the Greenwood site active. It's just down the road. No talkgroups and you wont hear much if anything. But you will be able to see what a P25 site should look like if it was very close.

Attachments

• Entergy P25 GREENWOOD ONLY.zip
    835 bytes · Views: 0

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
You are not very close to any of the 3 nearest sites. 700 MHz sites do not provide the best coverage. I agree that the Remtronix REM-820S antenna will provide a significant improvement over the stock antenna. It has far greater gain on 700-900 MHz. Make sure that the attenuator is off for the 3 site system provided by slayer816.

Would an SDS100 have better reception than this bcd436hp? I ordered one that will be here Thursday.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
For kicks if you want...

I made an Entergy system with only the Greenwood site active. It's just down the road. No talkgroups and you wont hear much if anything. But you will be able to see what a P25 site should look like if it was very close.

Slayer,

I’ve heard the guys from Entergy talk several times. The DAT icon appears and all the signal bars are present. Their tower must be pretty close.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
For kicks if you want...

Slayer,

I got my SDS100 and I must say I absolutely love this thing. I went all out and got one of my SAMCO 900mhz huge Yagi antennas, purchased a connector kit and 50' of LMR400 Coax, and some crimp tools. I have it all hooked up and have the Yagi pointed East Towards Carrollton and N. Carrolton with almost full signal. I I just have the Yagi sitting in a bush about 4' off the ground pointed East. 'm even getting 3 bars of Morgan City completely behind the Yagi West, in the opposite direction. I have ID searching set to "ON" and im hearing a ton of traffic. You were correct it must have been a signal issue.

Here is what is very odd. I'm not hearing Greenwood Police or sheriff any more with this Yagi setup and I have them programmed in the scanner. I find this Very odd. I was hearing Greenwood Sheriff and Greenwood Police with the stock antenna on the same sites. Any ideas why I cannot hear them now?

IMG-0640 (1).jpg67590421900--40BF1BFC-C6A8-4BDB-96E3-EB2FFFEA33B0 (1).jpgIMG-0639 (1).jpg

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
For kicks if you want...

Slayer,

This is my basic Greenwood MS. with the three close site ive heard traffic on. Only Greenwood Police Dispatch and Sheriff Dispatch. Can you take a look and tell me what im possibly doing wrong? im not hearing NOTHING AT ALL.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Greenwood.zip
    794 bytes · Views: 1

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
First of all, that is a nice setup and one I may be interested in duplicating in the future.

Secondly, I don't see anything wrong with your programming. With just those talkgroups in there and nothing else, they may just be "not talking" or using some other talkgroups that aren't identified. SDR would tell for sure.

The only way for certain talkgroups not to appear while others are assuming the same setup, is:
1) Greenwood PD / Leflore SO are "avoided" (which it isn't).
2) Greenwood PD / Leflore SO are not active on the site currently monitored.
3) Greenwood PD / Leflore SO are not active at all during the times that you are monitoring.
4) Greenwood PD / Leflore SO are using some other talkgroups

The only way to know more is to get the 436HP monitoring at the same time, with signal, and have it pick up Greenwood PD/Leflore SO talkgroups with the SDS100 silent on them. At the same exact time.

Try that or look into setting up an sdr on an old machine (cheap but a little more complicated).

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Slayer,

Im hearing everything now, It was a programming error. But yeah I went from absolutely no signal for all three sites and the stock antenna to 4 of 5 bars for all three sites. I’ve also noticed that the audio quality is wonderful with this setup.

let me ask you this, once I mount this antenna 40’ up above my roof line is it possible that the signal will be to strong? I think what I’m going to do is order this antenna and try it. The db gain isn’t as high plus it’s smaller and looks better. Let me know your opinion.It may not be a problem but im just wondering what happens with your signal is to strong

Attachments

• F22C7DBF-D5CE-41C6-94CF-00FC70F07A3F.png
    F22C7DBF-D5CE-41C6-94CF-00FC70F07A3F.png
    144.4 KB · Views: 9

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Im hearing everything now, It was a programming error.

Curious, What was it? I didn't see anything wrong with the favorites list but I didn't check the TGIDs or frequencies. Plus I couldn't see the actual scanner settings. Or I missed something in the FL

that the signal will be to strong?

I don't think so. You'll be able to pick up all kinds of stuff with that. There is also an attenuation on the radio.

Again, I am deaf and dumb when it comes to antennas other than indoor so I am not the best one to ask. Perhaps others will chime in or take that part of the conversation to the antenna forums. That will result in proper answers for you.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Curious, What was it? I didn't see anything wrong with the favorites list but I didn't check the TGIDs or frequencies. Plus I couldn't see the actual scanner settings. Or I missed something in the FL

Honestly i dont know what was wrong. what I did was completely setup a new profile and favorites list in Sentinal and sent to scanner and it started working. so who knows maybe i fat fingered something.

I don't think so. You'll be able to pick up all kinds of stuff with that. There is also an attenuation on the radio.

If you have a moment will you explain the attenuation feature? what is that used for. i know what the principal of attenuation is but what about a real world example with the sds100

Again, I am deaf and dumb when it comes to antennas other than indoor so I am not the best one to ask. Perhaps others will chime in or take that part of the conversation to the antenna forums. That will result in proper answers for you.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Lets say you are in a situation where there are a LOT of RF sources nearby, and they are just strong enough to cause interference to an signal you are trying to lock down. That signal is strong, but there are too many other "weak" signals "drowning" it. Attenuation "deafens" the scanner to an point, and potentially can "kill" off those other weak signals enough to allow the one your wanting to "override" them now with little interference and you can now "hear" it clearer.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Haha, I see that you did respond but the quote tags were off so it showed your entire post as a quote so I didn't even read it.

Re: new program. Sometimes it works in many aspects, blank slate and start over.

Re: ATT. milf above posted the best explication ever posted

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Lets say you are in a situation where there are a LOT of RF sources nearby, and they are just strong enough to cause interference to an signal you are trying to lock down. That signal is strong, but there are too many other "weak" signals "drowning" it. Attenuation "deafens" the scanner to an point, and potentially can "kill" off those other weak signals enough to allow the one your wanting to "override" them now with little interference and you can now "hear" it clearer.

oh ok. Got you! Thanks for explaining Milf ! I’m really really really liking this SDS100 ! Probably will be ordering the SDS200 this weekend ! My fiancé is probably going to beat me because I’m around 2,000 bucks already this month on a bcd436hp, sds100, some coax, connector kit, ordered 2 yagi’s, combiner splitter, and probably an sds200 this weekend. Anything else you guys think I need HaHaHa ! This is fun !

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
a bcd436hp, sds100, some coax, connector kit, ordered 2 yagi’s, combiner splitter, and probably an sds200 this weekend. Anything else you guys think I need HaHaHa ! This is fun !

Same setup and a multicoupler for now, maybe few more 200's. Milf you want anything?

Glad you got everything worked out, sometimes it takes days weeks months years decades; but you'll eventually get it. Go back and read your first posts in this thread and see how its changed.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Same setup and a multicoupler for now, maybe few more 200's. Milf you want anything?

Glad you got everything worked out, sometimes it takes days weeks months years decades; but you'll eventually get it. Go back and read your first posts in this thread and see how its changed.

Your exactly right. I’m still lost but at least I’m hearing broadcast now. But I was really lost 2 weeks ago.

check out my temp antenna structure. Very professional huh ? My neighbors are going to kill me if I don’t hurry up and get all this setup on the back of my house with the Yagi’s. Yes this is the front of my house hahahaha

Attachments

• 9C535A7C-C9AB-48DA-9C20-3CC1E4F56B77.jpeg
    9C535A7C-C9AB-48DA-9C20-3CC1E4F56B77.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 17

kj4jaq

Gulf of Mexico Galavanter
Premium Subscriber
check out my temp antenna structure. Very professional huh ? My neighbors are going to kill me if I don’t hurry up and get all this setup on the back of my house with the Yagi’s. Yes this is the front of my house hahahaha

That is easy enough to clean up and leave where it is with some conduit clamps and wire clamps/saddles. if you wanted to be fancy you could even paint everything but the antenna white to match the column.

Status
Not open for further replies.