• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS-2000 Expert Knowledge Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

operator219

Hello, please excuse my lack of knowledge. I run a security company and we operate nationwide and have many different types of places,conditions,environments we operate in. I have been looking into cost effective durable user friendly radios and really like the MTS-2000. We rent repeaters nationwide as well carry are own mobile repeaters as well and we run on the VHF band. We do use MDC quite often as it's easy for the base operator to use our computer software and keep tabs on both our mobile and portable units. Is this radio overkill ? I have looked into Kenwood but unsure if they support MDC. As we have a few personal protection groups that operate outside the US is there a radio thats more compact but can still support our needs ? I may have left out some detail but please ask questions if you want to help.

bezking

It's not overkill. But, it's discontinued. Moto doesn't sell it any more, and parts will become scarce if they aren't already. I would look into the Icom F3161 (VHF) or F4161 (the same, but UHF). They are comparable radios but they are currently produced and dealers or Icom will have no trouble servicing them for you.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
if you want a comparable Moto that is in production, look at the XTS series. you can buy 3-5 of the Icoms listed above for the price of 1 XTS, so you need to figure your maximum budget and work from there.

gary123

If its the Id format your concerned about then you are prettywell stuck in the Motorola line. We use exclusivly Motorola. I think the GP300 series radios support MDC encode. They are cheap and plentifull on the used market.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
and useless in less than 2 years, thus why they are cheap.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking for a single radio that your operators can carry, that will cover them nationwide?

Do you use MDC? If so, in what application?

There might be other radios that will meet your needs. If your operation is really large enough, you might want/need to look at some of the newer multi-band radios. They will cost some money, but should give you maximum flexibility, and be useful through the life of the individual units.

Spankymedic7

If its the Id format your concerned about then you are prettywell stuck in the Motorola line. We use exclusivly Motorola. I think the GP300 series radios support MDC encode. They are cheap and plentifull on the used market.

Motorola is not the only brand to support MDC, I believe Icom and Kenwood do as well...if this is what you're referring to.

operator219

if you want a comparable Moto that is in production, look at the XTS series. you can buy 3-5 of the Icoms listed above for the price of 1 XTS, so you need to figure your maximum budget and work from there.

I am stuck with the MDC-1200 and we need to continue to use it for the time being. I guess everything has there pro's and con's. As far as Kenwood I dig the fleet sync but need to further my knowledge in the whole system. Now lets talk encryption. Depending on the area I would like to have a channel with as heavy encryption as we can get with out getting expensive. Any thoughts ? Thanks everybody for slicing off some of your knowledge for me, much appreciated.

operator219

Motorola is not the only brand to support MDC, I believe Icom and Kenwood do as well...if this is what you're referring to.

I have heard that they do and then for some applications don't. I need to investigate more on Kenwood. My tech says Kenwood lets the American's make an great product then the Japanese go and make that great product awesome and very cost effective.

operator219

Are you looking for a single radio that your operators can carry, that will cover them nationwide?

Do you use MDC? If so, in what application?

There might be other radios that will meet your needs. If your operation is really large enough, you might want/need to look at some of the newer multi-band radios. They will cost some money, but should give you maximum flexibility, and be useful through the life of the individual units.

I would say I would need at least 20 units would need to be nationwide capable. What I mean by that is we have only rented VHF Repeaters and our own personal mobile repeaters are VHF as well. The need to have multi band capability right now is none. I have personally have an XTS-5000 Model III and a XTL-5000 Dual Remote head that I just had installed in the Xterra and personally looks bloody awesome. I snagged these by luck from a trusted source but I can't see funding 19 more portables and mobiles like this. But back to the question, 20 portables need to hold many frequencies and maybe even trunked (future) and can perform some form of encryption. The rest of the portables I think I am going to go with the recommendation on the icom. I do also need to keep in mind the future communication needs. I need a better tech guy for advise which is why I have ultimately turned here.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
kenwood 2180-3180 series does mdc1200 and supports a boatload of channels.

Frank

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
if you want future VHF trunked capablility, you need to by for the type of trunk system. if the trunk system is Moto non-ASTRO25 then you will have to buy a Moto radio. if it is P25, you may can use any other P25 VHF trunked capable unit. If the system is VHF LTR, then any VHF LTR capable unit will work.

no matter what, you are not going to get by spending a couple hundred buck per unit, at least not if you don't want to have to turn around and buy batteries/chargers/etc or have them worked on every time you turn around.

as far as nationwide VHF coverage, other than nationwide public safety channels you are not going to get it. you will have to have tons of licenses as VHF is licensed on a per site basis, and will have limited allowed coverage area per site of usually less than 25 miles in any direction.

if you need the ability to have a unit in say California talk to dispatch in New York you could maybe use something like Mototrbo with IP connect setup. or some other vendor's IP technology, but i am unfamiliar with any of the ones out there other than Moto(and not real familiar with the TRBO line as i have not sold any yet).

N4KVE

Sounds like some Nextel radios are your answer. Country wide walkie talkie coverage & no permits needed. Just pay the bill. The newer units have direct talk which is off system 2 way coverage, & reliable within 1/2 mile. GARY N4KVE

Status
Not open for further replies.