Multiple Scanners using one antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg43545

If one would use a splitter, and ran separate coax's to each scanner - could one run 2, maybe 3 scanners off of 1 outside antenna?

I assumed since they were receiving, and NOT transmitting, a signal that should not be a problem - correct?

And if one could, and did, do that - would it reduce the signal strength received by each of the multiple scanners?

And if one could, and did, do that - would it reduce the signal strength received by each of the multiple scanners?
You'd need a Multicoupler to boost the signal so you don't lose any signal.

"The basic use of the receiver multicoupler is to enable several radios , or scanners, to share a common antenna system. The advantage of using a multicoupler in signal monitoring applications were several receivers are used (such as in SIGINT/COMINT), is in the port-to-port isolation of the coupler. Isolation will reduce the possibility of RF interaction between receivers caused by local oscillators, synthesizers, etc. If an external pre-amplifier, receive filter or lightning protection device is used, only one is needed to service several receivers. "

Greg43545

You'd need a Multicoupler to boost the signal so you don't lose any signal.

"The basic use of the receiver multicoupler is to enable several radios , or scanners, to share a common antenna system. The advantage of using a multicoupler in signal monitoring applications were several receivers are used (such as in SIGINT/COMINT), is in the port-to-port isolation of the coupler. Isolation will reduce the possibility of RF interaction between receivers caused by local oscillators, synthesizers, etc. If an external pre-amplifier, receive filter or lightning protection device is used, only one is needed to service several receivers. "

Wow, $199.95 - anything less expensive on the market I could use.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
That's reasonable any idea how, if any, less efficient it is from a receiver multicoupler?

You'll get differing opinions from users, but in my real world experience I see no difference between a quality drop-amp and my 4 port Stridsburg. I can hear the same weak signals when using either one. You will have to procure the appropriate adapters when using a drop-amp so that will add to the cost.

But please don't base your decision on just my opinion, hopefully others will chime in (and probably disagree with me, but I'm used to that :p ).

Greg43545

You'll get differing opinions from users, but in my real world experience I see no difference between a quality drop-amp and my 4 port Stridsburg. I can hear the same weak signals when using either one. You will have to procure the appropriate adapters when using a drop-amp so that will add to the cost.

But please don't base your decision on just my opinion, hopefully others will chime in (and probably disagree with me, but I'm used to that :p ).

I understand. That's why I like to check here, because we have a ' meeting of the minds ' and I get a lot of good ideas ! (y) ;) (y)

Ubbe

Most tv/CATV amplifiers will work, but see to that it has a level adjustment or that the gain out of one port isn't too much, or you'll have to use an additional attenuator to stop the scanner from overloading. The gain from input to the end at the scanners antenna port shouldn't be more than 6db. If you have too much signal from the antenna you might have to reduce gain so it gives the same level at the scanner what are input to the amplifier/splitter.

You can get really good low-noise $30 amplifiers on a circuit board that usually have sma coannectors and then use a standard CATV splitter with F connectors and have patch cables with the correct connectors at each end, or use adaptors. The standard TV/CATV amplifier usually have the same specification as a scanner but the low-noise amp on a circuit board actually improves the signal after it has been amplified and split.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Stridsberg units are designed to keep signal output at each port within a dB or two of the input throughout their rated frequency range. Using other options, you have to manage gain yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.