My thoughts on Florida Public Safety Systems (and monitoring them)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm wondering how I can use the LTE capability in my XL-185 for personal applications. Not sure there's anything that could be done with it, as an individual with what is essentially an overpriced, glorified scanner, and an iphone and a PC.

Without the BeON server and a connection into your own private P25 core, not much.

Makes for a kick-azz WiFi hotspot, though. Get a cheap data only SIM and use it for data on your laptop.
I don't have the core/BeON system yet, so right now mine is sitting idle. We will be using BeON for our radios. I also plan on using it for a WiFi hotspot in my service truck. Will be nice to have something with a good external antenna when out on the fringes.

ID2345

K4SVT yet again
Banned
our county has been talking about going LTE but i dont think it will happen as how many cities and services are on the system and cant afford the upgrade..as MVFD they just got XG-75s not too long ago but that was funded.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I have such a hard time at work with this. Unfortunately I'm under the larger IT organization, and they don't easily comprehend the idea of NOT doing forklift upgrades to systems every 5 years.

The idea that a well designed and installed PBX or radio system can last 10-20 years (or more) just baffles them sometimes.
I actually had some in the top tier management levels lean on me to replace things early for no good reason other than "That's what we do in the rest of the organization".

I'm happy to be in the far corner of the organization where we actually repair things rather than just replace them. They can have my multimeter when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
got to spend that budget money whether they need to or not