Mystery Antennas--Utah

AB5ID

This is all foreign to me, what's the goal of this low speed network? Who is using the network and for what reason? I read a little on their website and Wikipedia but I just don't get it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is all foreign to me, what's the goal of this low speed network? Who is using the network and for what reason? I read a little on their website and Wikipedia but I just don't get it.

"Free" crowd sourced wireless network, I think.
I believe they were using it for mining cybercoin type stuff, and radio sites would get a cut of the profits. Not sure it's working out like they thought. Most of the sites are pretty low level and don't have much coverage. I'm thinking that someone realized that a network of high level sites with good antennas would really help out.
Most of the site locations, other than these mountain top/side sites, are pretty low level and don't get much coverage out of 900MHz at 1 watt.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I may be an idiot. What do these use for backhaul? Is it a mesh system? How do I have an isolated site connect to the internet?

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
900MHz LoRaWAN. Essentially a low speed data network using unlicensed spectrum. There are different companies offering this sort of service. We had one come sniffing around work and claiming we could make $1000/mo by letting them use our towers. I declined….

The site claims there are a lot of them around, but not all of them seem to be running. I think you have to have a good site to make money off it, and I guess people give up when the site they install at their home doesn't result in fat checks rolling in every month.
I just looked, and while way above my head, it's interesting. All the ones around me haven't made crap $$ wise, and a few seem to be inactive.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, mesh with a gateway type unit that hops back on to the internets.
Wasn't there just a discussion from someone on RR about trying to do something like this, actually several.

Like this one, It probably isn't for the helium mining thing, it's for a commuter assistance network, but the needs seem similar.

It's worth keeping an eye out for people asking for advice on how to set up systems like this. This place has a wealth of experience in putting together things like it, or it could be just my occassionally suspicous nature showing itself. :(

Thanks
Joel

avaloncourt

If it's placed on private property without permission there's nothing
to keep the land owner from taking it down and opening it up.
(Wish someone would set one up on my land, I'd love to have a
nice free portable repeater or solar panel for my RV lol)

ehhhhhhhhh not completely correct. There's been a number of lost court cases where government agencies entered private property and put up connected trail cams without any knowledge of the property owner and nothing on the cameras to identify the owner or warning regarding removal. There's been several occasions where the property owner found and removed them. The owner was then greeted at his home by agents of various agencies and arrested for theft related to the removal of the cameras. The cases have gone to court and the property owner has lost every single time from the articles I've read.

In this article the person was arrested and fined. The land owner subsequently filed a lawsuit and lost because the judge said that there was no violation of the fourth amendment and there's no expectation of security because it was an open and unattended area.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This story just kind of faded away. I think this was happening before the so-called spy balloons. Definitely looks like a radio repeater. I read they were removing some of them but I can't find a followup story as to what they were for sure. Even the balloons could have been radio repeaters as well, but crickets! No one is talking! Why?

Below is an article on them with a great clear close up picture. Any ideas?

Mystery Antennas Keep Popping Up In The Hills Of Salt Lake City, And Nobody Knows Why

prcguy

This story just kind of faded away. I think this was happening before the so-called spy balloons. Definitely looks like a radio repeater. I read they were removing some of them but I can't find a followup story as to what they were for sure. Even the balloons could have been radio repeaters as well, but crickets! No one is talking! Why?

Below is an article on them with a great clear close up picture. Any ideas?

Mystery Antennas Keep Popping Up In The Hills Of Salt Lake City, And Nobody Knows Why
I looked real close at the antennas and the panel type is for anything from 900MHz to 5.8GHz and not for VHF or UHF. The vertical is of a construction used by most WiFi mfrs but it could also be 900MHz, 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz but not VHF or UHF. This is probably an Internet or data repeater or crypto mining gadget and fairly low power.

There are vehicle tracks in the picture so its possible someone simply drove the stuff up there and installed it with little effort. That is a lot of equipment to haul on your back not to mention the tools it would have required. It also looks like concrete at the base of the mast.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I looked real close at the antennas and the panel type is for anything from 900MHz to 5.8GHz and not for VHF or UHF. The vertical is of a construction used by most WiFi mfrs but it could also be 900MHz, 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz but not VHF or UHF. This is probably an Internet or data repeater or crypto mining gadget and fairly low power.

There are vehicle tracks in the picture so its possible someone simply drove the stuff up there and installed it with little effort. That is a lot of equipment to haul on your back not to mention the tools it would have required. It also looks like concrete at the base of the mast.

Looking at the picture a little to the left of the equipment and way out in the back ground it appears there is another similar device.

prcguy

Here is one of the antennas retrieved from the exact type of system shown in post #36. The label says it all, mystery solved.

Flv4F-naMAEKzdc