Nebraska (Statewide) Wireless Interoperable Network "N-WIN"

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Depends on the radio and software. Current software IIRC will not allow you into the trunking fields unless you have a key and the software is licensed and registered. They tightly control they on the Harris side - at least for P25 systems.

SCPD

QRT
I have been doing it for a couple years. I'm not affiliating to any systems I'm monitoring (verified by watching CC data stream). There are methods but they are not for newbies at all. Much better than a scanner and I almost never have reception problems. It's what I run my Omaha Scanners on (police and fire). The audio is much better too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Astro25 OBT radios do not track P25 P1 systems reliably and will not unmute.

You can use the talk group scan method and a couple of others but it's the same deal - but it's actually not tracking control channel information.

Tx inhibit on the radio will also not work.

The lastest uniden firmware sounds very nice. The audio quality between an astro25 and a scanner is the speaker used. The APX line uses a better rated speaker and new algoryims that enhance the sound - but much also has to do with the transmitted radio settings. Garbage in garbage out.

The new Harris stuff is rather good and sounds great.

I'd rather use a scanner to scan 1000 tg's than 15 on a Motorola. Too much liability should you lose the radio or someone wants to play. Unfortunately many people who use commerical equipment do not set it up properly and cause problems.

SCPD

QRT
Listen to the Douglas County Sheriff and Omaha Police feed on Broadcastify. It tracks fine. You need to use the hidden talk group method. Haven't missed a single transmission.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Hidden talk group method is different than the scanning talk group method.

Yours, if using the accepted naming of the method requires programming in the trunked system into the radio. The other does not. Thats when you need to guard who has access to the radio and how it's programmed and with what keypad limitations.

That method can still result in an inhibited radio if the system admin decided to send an all-kill command. We did that years ago and the local message boards blew up about radios no longer working (we had a bootleg problem and took a different approach to it) :)

SCPD

QRT
Hidden talk group method is different than the scanning talk group method.

Yours, if using the accepted naming of the method requires programming in the trunked system into the radio. The other does not. Thats when you need to guard who has access to the radio and how it's programmed and with what keypad limitations.

That method can still result in an inhibited radio if the system admin decided to send an all-kill command. We did that years ago and the local message boards blew up about radios no longer working (we had a bootleg problem and took a different approach to it) :)
I am using the hidden talk group method and do take my chances getting inhibited. My chances are much lower than most as I don't use the first couple of radio IDs and choose an ID of a radio I know would not cause conflict if it were to transmit (which isn't a problem since I read the CC data myself and confirmed it isn't transmitting). I can still be inhibited but the chances of the admin just killing all active radio IDs is much less than killing non-used IDs. We just need to make sure some idiot doesn't affiliate with the system (or any system) and the admins start hunting rouge radios down.

With that said, I'm not saying it is a good idea for new people. If you forget to check on box or follow the process to the detail you will transmit on a federal frequency so if you are reading this and don't know much about programming radios--or even more about the hidden talk group method, ignore this as a possible scanning method. It is expensive and you may cause admins to get pissed off.

SCPD

QRT
But you can see why I asked about both sites for NWIN. A scanner with GPS could easily move to any site but I need to program the radio to be exact if I want to use both sites.

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
Astro25 OBT radios do not track P25 P1 systems reliably and will not unmute.

You can use the talk group scan method and a couple of others but it's the same deal - but it's actually not tracking control channel information.

Tx inhibit on the radio will also not work.

The lastest uniden firmware sounds very nice. The audio quality between an astro25 and a scanner is the speaker used. The APX line uses a better rated speaker and new algoryims that enhance the sound - but much also has to do with the transmitted radio settings. Garbage in garbage out.

The new Harris stuff is rather good and sounds great.

I'd rather use a scanner to scan 1000 tg's than 15 on a Motorola. Too much liability should you lose the radio or someone wants to play. Unfortunately many people who use commerical equipment do not set it up properly and cause problems.

There are two ways to "scan" an astro25 OBT system without affiliating.

1-program the voice channel with proper NAC and talk group info as a conventional astro system.

2-use the hidden talk group method. Make sure you can not select the talk group. Even if you change the TX frequency for the control channel the radio will affiliate.

Also with the APX radio you can create a scan list with 30 members total. With multi system you can have 10 conventional and 20 trunking.

With Nebraska's SRS I find the conventional astro system works the best for troop A. All you really need is about 6 frequencies programmed with dispatch 1 to cover most of Omaha. Most of Troop A's unencrypted traffic occurs on dispatch 1.

So yes there are ways to use a Motorola radio to scan the state system. With an APX radio having 3000 channels it's not that hard to "scan" it. Just programming it takes a $h!t load of time

SCPD

QRT
Exactly. I also have reception problems in a building downtown (which is why my work installed a cellphone repeater inside). ORION is not horrible (with a radio) but nothing comes across on NSRS. One of the things missing is the reception indicator because of the hidden talk group method so I don't know how strong or weak the signal is but was hoping the other tower would be stronger to push through.

ChopperDan

In yesterdays paper LPD is think of going to the state's radio system. One to save money, the computer system is already in place a very big saving. Two to work with other agency, Three to be able to go out in the county if need. So they are think pretty hard on it right now.

Lincoln left VHF years ago because the could not talk while in some builds here in town. OH well we'll see what happens next

LES uses the state system ok that is truck to base 100% of the time.

Dept. of correction uses it but again that is truck to base.

Have not heard Capital security (NSP) walking around with it in long time.

Last edited:

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
Either the state or Lincoln could put a 800mhz site in Lincoln and it can still be apart of the SRS. Wouldn't be surprised if they do that and the other state agencies within Lincoln will also use it as well.

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the Pender site going live recently. Troop A (Omaha) has starting dispatching for Troop B (Norfolk). Headquarters is no longer dispatching for Troop B. This was suppose to take place Troop B dispatch closed 2 1/2 years ago.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
see that the troop p A radios are being changed out, does this mean they are going to Phase 2?

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
They probably got APX7500 or 8500 more than likely they are phase 2 enabled to use on ORION and Lincoln's site.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
NSP got rid of a bunch of XTL5000's and updated to the APX series. The ASTRO25 series radios will have an end of life support date within a few years. Those NSP radios were offered to outside agencies with certain conditions.

Quite a few agencies these days have rotated their fleet around as Motorola has aggressively marketed new lines and reduced support time.

Basically you are almost forced to buy new radios every 7 years.