TRX-2: Need EZ-Scan Text and Clipboard Import Format Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOFA_KING

I searched the WiKi for EZ-Scan Text or Clipboard formatting information and couldn't find any reference or help. I also checked the "Easier to Read" on-line manuals (great resource) for this, but no specific details were provided on the exact format needed to import lists of conventional channels. And I thought EZ-Scan "Help Topics" had this updated to be a little better (but not all that great) on this topic, but yesterday I was unable to get anything from EZ-Scan Help. I know there was some discussion on the forum some time ago about this, and I tried searching that, but no luck.

So, can someone provide an XLS or CSV file with some good complete examples of what all the fields and types of parameters are needed to do a successful conventional channel import? I'm trying to make complete "all bandplan" amateur radio scan lists to search for ALL modes. I may also want to duplicate the same lists to look for only ALL DIGITAL modes. The complication comes up with the DMR and NXDN selections in MODE that puts barriers between modes. Oddly, P25 doesn't have a barrier, just these new modes. I guess I'll have to duplicate the same frequencies to scan at least THREE TIMES to cover all the modes. I will use Excel to automatically calculate frequency steps and copy/paste repetitive common fields to save a huge amount of time. Hopefully, once perfected, the WiKi will be updated with some example files to assist other scanner owners to do the same.

Thanks in advance!

Phil

SOFA_KING

This might be worth a look - even tho it's marketed for Euro listeners, it might just fill the bill here

http://whistlerq.wixsite.com/whistlerq

Mike

Thank you, Mike. I did see that, and thought about it. Previous posts about it indicated problems. And it's a "pay to play" program (beyond the free trial). Great that someone is making a living on software design, but I can do this for FREE using Excel if I can understand all the fields EZ-Scan is accepting. It shouldn't be rocket science. ;)

Phil

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
In the help file in EZ Scan, there is a page that covers the various fields for importing and what data is accepted for each.

I think you are on the right track for what you are trying to achieve and saving it in a separate spreadsheet program is a great idea. It makes the data portable. In fact, I'd love to have a copy of what you are making.

If you copy and paste, each field has to be comma separated. I think it is the same for csv as well.

Send me an email Justin@DigitalFrequencySearch.com, and I will email you an Excel file that I use for programming. Also, check out the EZ Scan Quick Import results on my website for an example of how I accomplish it and a brief set of instructions.

Anyways, here is the main trick in Excel:

Use the CONCATENATE function to add in the commas.

So, once you have all of your columns, in a new column, write a formula to add in the commas and combine all of the data to a single column. Each field in concatenate is separated by a comma in the function. It can be either a cell or manually inputted text. To input text, it must be surrounded by quotes. So it will look something like:

=CONCATENATE(A1,",",B1,",",C1,",",D1)

Where the commas outside the quotes are for the Excel formula, and the comma inside the quotes is to make your data into comma separated values.

This should leave you with a cell in E1: A1,B1,C1,D1

Drag and drop or double click this cell to apply it down the rest of the page.

Copy and paste this column into the conventional frequency import from clipboard. Manually select any column headers that are not automatically set.

By the way, I agree that you will have to have three sets of frequencies. Once DMR, one NXDN, and one that does P25 digital and all analog. However, you might separate P25 digital and analog as well. That way you can disable analog and run the squelch wide open if you want.

Gotta love the patchwork quilt.

We can chat via phone too. Hopefully this helps.

troymail

Silent Key
Following Justin's example and wanting some "tailored" lists to import based on fcc license data, I wrote a script to create text files suitable for importing as conventional objects. My early goal was to simply grab all frequencies for my area and import them as DMR. I've found quite a few things that aren't supposed to be digital that are.... (without searching entire bands). I've also modified the script to gen rows for import as NXDN.

Feel free to PM me if I can help.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Liberal scanning is what it's all about. Specifying modulation, privacy tones, talkgroups, etc. is great for those who really don't want you monitoring their broadcasts.

Don't want the public to know about your shady government activities?

Just make a new talkgroup. Everyone using the RR DB will never know what you are up to.

But if you were to search, rather than scan, you'd miss out on stuff too.

That's why scanning with liberally programmed scan lists is the best compromise. And if something comes up that is annoying, simply disable that specific offender.

SOFA_KING

Thank you AggieCon and troymail. I have been through the EZ-SCAN Help topic on this function and started reverse engineering it. It is out of date. No NXDN info in there at all. Stupid EZ-SCAN could only guess the frequency, and it missed named the Alpha Tag column as the Mode column. A total of up to 17 columns can exist, and some instructions given, when followed, didn't work. I'm in the middle of discovering what doesn't work and if there is a way to make it work. And then there are some fields, like Scan Delay Time and all the Audio Alerts/LED Alerts, that don't have any import options. Sad way to treat us customers that just want to get some of OUR OWN data into this scanner. PITA, to say the least, but I have to get some way to manage my big scan lists. WIP

When I'm done "reinventing the wheel", I'll share my results. I appreciate the tips.

Phil

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I'm right there with you Phil.

I really wish they would allow importing every single field in the entire program. If so, you'd see amazing scanner tools from me.

I try to keep my base information in spreadsheets as much as possible, but, yes, it sure is a PITA having to reset all of the other columns and the trunked systems.

TAbirdman

And I thought EZ-Scan "Help Topics" had this updated to be a little better (but not all that great) on this topic, but yesterday I was unable to get anything from EZ-Scan Help. I know there was some discussion on the forum some time ago about this, and I tried searching that, but no luck.

Phil

Go to the conventional Frequency tab and click on the HELP button in the lower right of the display. Look for CONVENTIONAL FREQ TAB and expand it ( hit the + )/Click on "IMPORTING EXTERNAL DATA" and it will list what each column can be and what is the acceptable options.

I created a header row of all the available features and locked that row so when I add more objects the header stays in view so I know what column is what.

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
Stupid EZ-SCAN could only guess the frequency, and it missed named the Alpha Tag column as the Mode column. A total of up to 17 columns can exist, and some instructions given, when followed, didn't work. I'm in the middle of discovering what doesn't work and if there is a way to make it work. And then there are some fields, like Scan Delay Time and all the Audio Alerts/LED Alerts, that don't have any import options. Sad way to treat us customers that just want to get some of OUR OWN data into this scanner. PITA, to say the least, but I have to get some way to manage my big scan lists. WIP

When I'm done "reinventing the wheel", I'll share my results. I appreciate the tips.

Phil

I use the the "import from clipboard" all the time. If columns are misnamed, you can click the column heading and change it. Hope this helps.

Yoshep69

milcom_chaser

Thank you AggieCon and troymail. I have been through the EZ-SCAN Help topic on this function and started reverse engineering it. It is out of date. No NXDN info in there at all. Stupid EZ-SCAN could only guess the frequency, and it missed named the Alpha Tag column as the Mode column. A total of up to 17 columns can exist, and some instructions given, when followed, didn't work. I'm in the middle of discovering what doesn't work and if there is a way to make it work. And then there are some fields, like Scan Delay Time and all the Audio Alerts/LED Alerts, that don't have any import options. Sad way to treat us customers that just want to get some of OUR OWN data into this scanner. PITA, to say the least, but I have to get some way to manage my big scan lists. WIP

Phil

It's the advanced users that can steer the development of this software...
scannersuggestions@whistlergroup.com

SOFA_KING

Good news!

Yesterday I discovered how all the various 17 import fields work in every scenario for all programming options. And I also found the easiest way to organize all 17 columns. After testing all modes, PL, DPL, CC, RAN, NAC, TS, and TG options (including search options), I have a working XLS template. Very easy to write HUGE lists of frequencies and modes using Excel calculations for frequency steps and copy/paste to fill all the repetitive data. All tested under controlled conditions and debugged to understand what the EZ-SCAN Help had wrong or incomplete, and what was needed to make it work. It worked so well that I went ahead and wrote out all my multi-mode ham band search channels for all the various bands the scanner covers. Some bands don't have P25, DMR or NXDN, so that was easier, but FOUR channels had to be written for each 2m, 70cm and 900 MHz frequency to catch any mode or condition. That DOES SLOW DOWN the scan searching, but it works. Hopefully Whistler will fix this dumb mode barrier issue and allow any mode to be received on ONE CHANNEL. But for now this is a workaround.

Tomorrow I'll put together a tutorial and supply some simple tools uploaded to the Wiki (if I have permission to do that) to present how best to approach this issue. There are some spreadsheet format rules you need to prepare ahead of time (to cover PL tones and other specially formatted fields). And there are some after import things you may want to do for delay times and alert/color LED options. But all the other fields can be imported to use each field as desired. It was way past time I finally got to the bottom of this! Now my programming time is drastically reduced. Thousands of channels programmed into the scanner in a matter of minutes. More on all this tomorrow. Time for sleep now.

Phil

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Phil, you ARE king! I look forward to reading the results. And man I sure hope you upload the spreadsheet.

Thanks for doing their job... for free... to help them sell more scanners.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Good to hear. I use Excel spreadsheets to manage a lot of my standard data, for use in making boilerplate V-scanners that already contain rail, air, marine, state & federal gov't etc. Most of this works pretty well for clipboard import, but I'm having problems specifying more than one scanlist per frequency. Import doesn't seem to allow the same punctuation that we see onscreen in the scanlist field. If I use a comma, for example, it jumps the scanlist following it into the next column.

Would really like to have better syntax understanding for setting up multiple scanlist options.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

milcom_chaser

Good news!

Yesterday I discovered how all the various 17 import fields work in every scenario for all programming options. And I also found the easiest way to organize all 17 columns. After testing all modes, PL, DPL, CC, RAN, NAC, TS, and TG options (including search options), I have a working XLS template. Very easy to write HUGE lists of frequencies and modes using Excel calculations for frequency steps and copy/paste to fill all the repetitive data. All tested under controlled conditions and debugged to understand what the EZ-SCAN Help had wrong or incomplete, and what was needed to make it work. It worked so well that I went ahead and wrote out all my multi-mode ham band search channels for all the various bands the scanner covers. Some bands don't have P25, DMR or NXDN, so that was easier, but FOUR channels had to be written for each 2m, 70cm and 900 MHz frequency to catch any mode or condition. That DOES SLOW DOWN the scan searching, but it works. Hopefully Whistler will fix this dumb mode barrier issue and allow any mode to be received on ONE CHANNEL. But for now this is a workaround.

Tomorrow I'll put together a tutorial and supply some simple tools uploaded to the Wiki (if I have permission to do that) to present how best to approach this issue. There are some spreadsheet format rules you need to prepare ahead of time (to cover PL tones and other specially formatted fields). And there are some after import things you may want to do for delay times and alert/color LED options. But all the other fields can be imported to use each field as desired. It was way past time I finally got to the bottom of this! Now my programming time is drastically reduced. Thousands of channels programmed into the scanner in a matter of minutes. More on all this tomorrow. Time for sleep now.

Phil

That's awesome. Look forward to seeing your creation. Most helpful indeed.

SOFA_KING

Well, I hope it will be. ;)

All the notes and files are ready to go...but I have absolutely no wiki experience. I have to learn "how to". That is what I'm wrestling with right now. Sure, I could put this all here in a forum post, but forum threads fall off fast.

I'm working on it!

Phil

PS - About "scan lists"... use a semicolon between multiple lists. ;)

SOFA_KING

I'm not having any luck logging into the WiKi. It doesn't accept my user name. SO...Let's have a go at it here. Maybe one day I can get it over to the WiKi.

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE TRX-2 (and probably TRX-1) WITH NXDN. That being said, you could omit all references to the NXDN features and probably get it to work on the older model EZ-Scanners.

First...some example files (all had to be zipped, so you need to unzip them).

The "Format Examples" file goes through every example of all usable functions.

The other files are what I created for those ham bands that could have P25, DMR and NXDN.

NOTE: these are working files, and not import files. What is the difference? Calculations and formatting has to be done in Excel, and can't be done once "Saved As" CSV format. So do all the work in Excel first. When it is finished, highlight row 1 (the heading up top for guidance) and right click to "Delete" it. Then do a "Save As" and choose "Save as type" to be "CSV (Comma delimited)" to make it ready for "Text Import" on EZ-Scan.

Some rules to follow:

The FREQUENCY column cells should be formatted as a "Number" and set to 6 places after the decimal point. Click on top to hightlight columm "A". Right click to select "Format Cells". Select "Number" and set accordingly.

The "Tone" column cells need to be formatted as "Text" to be able to handle PL tones with a decimal point value, as well as DPL tones without a decimal point value. Same procedure as above but using column "P" and selecting "Text".

The "Scanlist" column cells also need to be formatted at Text to allow the semi-colon between list numbers.

You could put the column headings in a different order, but every time you import it you will have to set each column in EZ-Scan Import to match those headings IN ORDER. I found the easiest way is to follow the order EZ-Scan lists them in from the top down. Each time you add the next heading type it will remove it from the list. You simply go down the list in order and select the next one. FREQUENCY is recognized, and most of the time MODE is as well, but be careful to check and see that EZ-Scan hasn't automatically selected the wrong heading. Choose "None" to set it back to (example) "Column 17".

If you are building a scan search file because you want to step through all the known channels, you can save TONS of time by letting Excel do the work for you. In the example attached picture, notice I have a formula written up top to advance 0.0125 MHz (12.5 kHz). We are working in groups of 4 channels to cover all modes when we scan, so we need to write out the first 4 channels first (out to column Q). Once written, select cell "A6" and put the calculation (as pictured) in the top line. This takes cell "A2" and adds the step increment. Now do the same exact entry to cell A7, A8 and A9. This sets the pattern to advance the frequency step in groups of four channels.

Next, to start entire list copy and paste advancement, you will copy cells B2, B3, B4 and B5 out to Q2, Q3, Q4 and Q5. Then paste this into cell B6. That fills the same data for the next frequency you will be scan searching. NOW you can really rock and roll on the expansion of the datafill. Copy cells A6, A7, A8 and A9 out to Q6, Q7, Q8 and Q9. Right click and select A10 through Q10 and while holding down the mouse pull it down the page as far as you want to go. Be sure to stay in the A through Q boundaries and release the mouse button. Scroll back up (without disturbing you highlighted selection) to cell A10, put the mouse over it and RIGHT CLICK to select "Paste". Presto! All the data, including the frequency calculations in groups of four, will be advanced down the page. If you need to add more, select THE LAST FOUR rows from A to Q, copy them, and then paste them like you did with the first major paste operation. Now Excel is doing the work for you!

EZ-SCAN ITEMS NOT COVERED BY IMPORT:

The "Scan Delay" time, "Alert" tone(s) and "LED" colors and flash patterns are not covered by Import. You have to edit those in EZ-Scan. I select a whole list of channels and do them all at one time...then wait for the very slow process of EZ-Scan to finish updating them all. For my "Ham Search" files I like 4 seconds of scan delay. YMMV, but that works to get a little more than one side of a conversation without locking up on one frequency all day long. And I use magenta as my "ham" color. That is the second color selection from the top all the way on the right side of the color pallet.

One other note...I discovered there is a selection for "RADIO ID" in the scanner that is not addressable in EZ-Scan. You have to go in manually and check the box for that channel. By doing so, instead of the scanner opening the squelch on the "Talkgroup Group Call ID" number, it will open on a "Radio ID" number, which can be entered in the "Talkgroup" field. I guess if you want to track a radio ID, you have that ability. Too bad there is no reference to it in EZ-Scan.

I might think of more on this topic, but that is enough for now. If anyone has ideas to expand on this, let us have it. I know I didn't cover trunking...yet. I'll see what can be done with that. It may get a bit more complex with all the different types. That will be for another day!

Phil

Attachments

• Whistler EZ-SCAN Text Import Format Examples.zip
    3 KB · Views: 171
  • Whistler EZ-SCAN All Mode VHF Ham Text Import.zip
    33.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Whistler EZ-SCAN All Mode Ham UHF Text Import.zip
    99.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Whistler EZ-SCAN All Mode 900 Ham Text Import.zip
    20.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Frequency Step Calculation Example.jpg
    Frequency Step Calculation Example.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I am happy to host your write up for free. You can publish it on Digital Frequency Search or put it on my hosting with your own domain name. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it being touched. I tried to message you, but it said your inbox is full... after I wrote up a nice message to you...

milcom_chaser

I'm not having any luck logging into the WiKi. It doesn't accept my user name. SO...Let's have a go at it here. Maybe one day I can get it over to the WiKi.

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE TRX-2 (and probably TRX-1) WITH NXDN. That being said, you could omit all references to the NXDN features and probably get it to work on the older model EZ-Scanners.

First...some example files (all had to be zipped, so you need to unzip them).

The "Format Examples" file goes through every example of all usable functions.

The other files are what I created for those ham bands that could have P25, DMR and NXDN.

NOTE: these are working files, and not import files. What is the difference? Calculations and formatting has to be done in Excel, and can't be done once "Saved As" CSV format. So do all the work in Excel first. When it is finished, highlight row 1 (the heading up top for guidance) and right click to "Delete" it. Then do a "Save As" and choose "Save as type" to be "CSV (Comma delimited)" to make it ready for "Text Import" on EZ-Scan.

Some rules to follow:

The FREQUENCY column cells should be formatted as a "Number" and set to 6 places after the decimal point. Click on top to hightlight columm "A". Right click to select "Format Cells". Select "Number" and set accordingly.

The "Tone" column cells need to be formatted as "Text" to be able to handle PL tones with a decimal point value, as well as DPL tones without a decimal point value. Same procedure as above but using column "P" and selecting "Text".

The "Scanlist" column cells also need to be formatted at Text to allow the semi-colon between list numbers.

You could put the column headings in a different order, but every time you import it you will have to set each column in EZ-Scan Import to match those headings IN ORDER. I found the easiest way is to follow the order EZ-Scan lists them in from the top down. Each time you add the next heading type it will remove it from the list. You simply go down the list in order and select the next one. FREQUENCY is recognized, and most of the time MODE is as well, but be careful to check and see that EZ-Scan hasn't automatically selected the wrong heading. Choose "None" to set it back to (example) "Column 17".

If you are building a scan search file because you want to step through all the known channels, you can save TONS of time by letting Excel do the work for you. In the example attached picture, notice I have a formula written up top to advance 0.0125 MHz (12.5 kHz). We are working in groups of 4 channels to cover all modes when we scan, so we need to write out the first 4 channels first (out to column Q). Once written, select cell "A6" and put the calculation (as pictured) in the top line. This takes cell "A2" and adds the step increment. Now do the same exact entry to cell A7, A8 and A9. This sets the pattern to advance the frequency step in groups of four channels.

Next, to start entire list copy and paste advancement, you will copy cells B2, B3, B4 and B5 out to Q2, Q3, Q4 and Q5. Then paste this into cell B6. That fills the same data for the next frequency you will be scan searching. NOW you can really rock and roll on the expansion of the datafill. Copy cells A6, A7, A8 and A9 out to Q6, Q7, Q8 and Q9. Right click and select A10 through Q10 and while holding down the mouse pull it down the page as far as you want to go. Be sure to stay in the A through Q boundaries and release the mouse button. Scroll back up (without disturbing you highlighted selection) to cell A10, put the mouse over it and RIGHT CLICK to select "Paste". Presto! All the data, including the frequency calculations in groups of four, will be advanced down the page. If you need to add more, select THE LAST FOUR rows from A to Q, copy them, and then paste them like you did with the first major paste operation. Now Excel is doing the work for you!

EZ-SCAN ITEMS NOT COVERED BY IMPORT:

The "Scan Delay" time, "Alert" tone(s) and "LED" colors and flash patterns are not covered by Import. You have to edit those in EZ-Scan. I select a whole list of channels and do them all at one time...then wait for the very slow process of EZ-Scan to finish updating them all. For my "Ham Search" files I like 4 seconds of scan delay. YMMV, but that works to get a little more than one side of a conversation without locking up on one frequency all day long. And I use magenta as my "ham" color. That is the second color selection from the top all the way on the right side of the color pallet.

One other note...I discovered there is a selection for "RADIO ID" in the scanner that is not addressable in EZ-Scan. You have to go in manually and check the box for that channel. By doing so, instead of the scanner opening the squelch on the "Talkgroup Group Call ID" number, it will open on a "Radio ID" number, which can be entered in the "Talkgroup" field. I guess if you want to track a radio ID, you have that ability. Too bad there is no reference to it in EZ-Scan.

I might think of more on this topic, but that is enough for now. If anyone has ideas to expand on this, let us have it. I know I didn't cover trunking...yet. I'll see what can be done with that. It may get a bit more complex with all the different types. That will be for another day!

Phil

Phil, have you noticed if you pull in the header as well into EZ scan, it names the columns for you?
I could rename the header columns to correspond with EZ Scans naming convention, and that would further automate the input process.
However, the rest of the data entries are all inputted as one long row currently.
Not sure how to automate a carriage return. If each row of data could be separated, then the header could be deleted after it's in EZ Scan.

Attachments

• Import Example with Header.jpg
    Import Example with Header.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:

SOFA_KING

Phil, have you noticed if you pull in the header as well into EZ scan, it names the columns for you?
Perhaps there is a way to utilize this? However, the rest of the entries are all inputted as one long row.
Not sure how to automate a carriage return. Thanks :)

Does it? The first time I tried that with my older PSR-800 I remembered it screwing everything up.

Wow! look at that! Thanks! That saves you from having to select the dropdown heading for each column. Cool!

Yes, it does fill the very first row with the duplicate (unneeded) header information, and that will mess up the import, BUT YOU CAN highlight that extra header row up top, right click on it, then DELETE it. Now you have a clean import with less work.I tested it, and it works well without messing up my programming.

That is good collaboration. Thank you!

Phil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.