Need Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

alywil

I am a complete novice and really have no idea what I am doing. I have bought the Pro-197 scanner for my father. My father had the analog scanner and was able to listen to the local police. He will need everything set up for him because he knows nothing about computers and the digital scanner will likely overwhelm him.

I uploaded the trial software into the scanner, but I really wasn't sure what I was uploading.You get two free downloads with the Pro-197 so I did one as Conventional and one under Trunking. I was able to get some information from the Detroit area (under Trunking), but I wanted Macomb county. Does any one know how I can get this? I am assuming it has something to do with the "type" of system they use (i.e. MOT 800/900, P25 Auto, P25 Manual, EDACS STD, EDACS NAROW, or LTR). I have programmed the Trunking under P25 Auto after trying a few and I seem to be getting more information.

I am open to any advice someone can offer.

Thanks!

a29zuk

Scroll up to the top of the page on this website and click on "Database". Click the state of Michigan on the United States map. Now you can click on Macomb County on the Michigan map for convetional frequencies and other local trunk systems. Or you can click on MPSCS on the bottom of the page for the P25 system.
On the P25 system page you can scroll down some to find a spreadsheet filled with tower locations and frequencies. Macomb county has its own simulcast site. Enter the control frequencies(red and blue) into your system on your scanner.
If you scroll down farther the Michigan counties are listed in alphabetical order. That is where you can find all of the talkgroups for Macomb County.
I own a Uniden scanner so other members on this website that live in your area can answer more specific questions. I don't normally monitor this system, either.

Happy Scanning,
Jim

Last edited:

RomeRon

I am a complete novice and really have no idea what I am doing. I have bought the Pro-197 scanner for my father. My father had the analog scanner and was able to listen to the local police. He will need everything set up for him because he knows nothing about computers and the digital scanner will likely overwhelm him.

I uploaded the trial software into the scanner, but I really wasn't sure what I was uploading.You get two free downloads with the Pro-197 so I did one as Conventional and one under Trunking. I was able to get some information from the Detroit area (under Trunking), but I wanted Macomb county. Does any one know how I can get this? I am assuming it has something to do with the "type" of system they use (i.e. MOT 800/900, P25 Auto, P25 Manual, EDACS STD, EDACS NAROW, or LTR). I have programmed the Trunking under P25 Auto after trying a few and I seem to be getting more information.

I am open to any advice someone can offer.

Thanks!

I guess this is the system you want to program. Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Since you are not a Premium Member ( which you need to be to download from RR) and you have burned up your 2 free software downloads, there is always the Wildcard, see link.
Programming Shortcut PSR-500/600 RS Pro-106/197 - The RadioReference Wiki

In the picture the frequencies for Malcomb are, 868.98750 the control channel and 868.26250 the alternate control channel . you will need to program the control channels (per link above).

Found another for Malcomb; Mt Clemens, I not sure but you may want to do another wildcard for this one in a different scan list.

Attachments

• Malcomb.jpg
    Malcomb.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 462
  • Malcomb2.jpg
    Malcomb2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:

freqs

I live in Warren and would be glad to help you Iam old school .I dont do software but I do program by hand .If you want help I would be happy to help PM me

Last edited:

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Re:

I am surprised no one here has asked the obvious. What EXACTLY are you looking to scan? I am talking cities. Different cities within Macomb County are on different trunk systems.

Warren & Center Line are on their own P25 system.

The majority of the rest of the county is on the Macomb Simulcast system. Dont forget to add SERESA (a joint dispatch center for Roseville, Eastpointe, and St. Clair Shores).

Then you also have MSP which bounces off of several MPSCS towers in the area.

If you dont want to listen to all of the simulcast, you can add whatever talkgroups you want under the simulcast.

I cant really think of any public safety in the county that is still on analog. Of course you have your other stuff on analog like the schools.

Good luck!

alywil

I live in Warren and would be glad to help you Iam old school .I dont do software but I do program by hand .If you want help I would be happy to help PM me

Thank you for your offer. I have given the gift to my father. He is getting some channels so I guess I did something right. I'm just not sure he is getting all the channels he should be getting. For example, he does not get anything from Warren; although I can see it as it is scanning. It never stops on anything from Warren, but it does stop on Eastpointe. I'm not sure how I would contact you (not sure what "PM" me means).

alywil

I would like all of Macomb County if that is possible. I get Eastpointe, Fraser, Sterling Heights but there isn't a lot of activity so I am wondering if I have it programmed correctly. I would like to get Warren and Roseville. I thought I set it up so I would get these cities, but it sounds like they have different systems (i.e. P25). It appears I haven't picked the correct systems - I have not seen SERESA. How would I add that? The same way I can choose P25, Motorola 800/900, etc?

I appreciate the help. I'm learning a little bit each time I read these posts.

313RADIO

everything you want except warren is on CC 868.9875 check your talkgoups if your not hearing alot. Theres a good amount of traffic from those cities on a regular basis. maybe early morning it could be quiet but still should be hear stuff. lemme know if you need help

I would like all of Macomb County if that is possible. I get Eastpointe, Fraser, Sterling Heights but there isn't a lot of activity so I am wondering if I have it programmed correctly. I would like to get Warren and Roseville. I thought I set it up so I would get these cities, but it sounds like they have different systems (i.e. P25). It appears I haven't picked the correct systems - I have not seen SERESA. How would I add that? The same way I can choose P25, Motorola 800/900, etc?

I appreciate the help. I'm learning a little bit each time I read these posts.
SERESA is Eastpointe,Roseville, and St.Claire Shores and then there is Sersa Fire which has all the same cities above.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Ok so first I will start out by saying that you will almost need programing software. Trying to program a trunk system by using the keys on the scanner takes A LOT of patience and time for those of us who know what we are doing and have done it before.

All cities in Macomb county (with few exceptions) are on the Macomb County Simulcast.

1. So in your programing software you will want to create a new trunking system. Set it to P25.

2. The freqs for this simulcast are 868.9875 (primary control channel) and 868.2625 (alt control channel)

........After the trunk system has been created its time to start adding the talkgroups (the individual departments of the cities)............

Depending on the software you are using you will need to find out how to add talkgroups to a trunk system.

3. Go to this web site... Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

4. Add the talkgroup ID's that you want. Everything is listed in alphabetical order under Macomb County. You can also add alpha tags to each talkgroup, so a name will appear instead of a number. Any talkgroup that has an "E" listed for it under the mode column means its encrypted, and there is no need to add it.

(You will notice SERESA is also listed. It is part of the same system, just add the talkgroups for it. SERESA is the name given to the combined dispatch center for Eastpointe, Roseville, and St. Clair Shores.)

Hopefully you have just successfully completed adding all the talkgroups you want for Macomb County.

--------------

Now we need to add Warren / Center Line since they are on a different P25 system.

1. Create a new trunking system, set it to P25.

2. set the freqs for it to be 853.4875 (primary control channel) .... and also add the following alt control channel freqs.... 854.4875, 855.4875, and 856.0875

3. Go to this web site Warren Public Safety Project 25 System Trunking System, Warren, Michigan - Scanner Frequencies

4. Add the talkgroup ID's & alpha tags that you want. Any talkgroup that has an "E" listed for it under the mode column means its encrypted, and there is no need to add it.

Hopefully you have just successfully completed adding all the talkgroups you want for the Warren / Center Line system.

-----------

Do you also wish to listen to state police?? If so you can also add these steps....

1. Create a new trunk system, set it as P25

Since MSP is not on a simulcast you need to add multiple towers to make sure you get as much as possible. This is just a matter of typing in more freqs.

2. Add the following freqs...
868.9000 & 868.4000 (Mt. Clemins tower)
868.5125 & 868.1625 (Romeo Tower)
868.4625 & 867.9625 (Southfield Tower)
If the scanner will be in southern Macomb County also add this tower....
867.925, 854.2375, 867.9125, and 868.9625 (Northville Tower)

MSP consists of multiple districts. You are programing District 2 which consists of Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne County units.

3. Add the following talkgroups to this system....
2007 (District 2 dispatch)
2010 (District 2 LEIN)
2011 (Another LEIN talkgroup)
2008 (Spare)
2166 (A Car-to-Car type talkgroup)
1000 (statewide emergency)
2001 (District 2 emergency broadcasts)

That should do it. There are a lot of other "Event" talkgroups and other kinds of talkgroups you can add to this system. To look them up go here... Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
Remember you can not add anything with an "E" in the mode. You will want to look under state police district 2, as well as statewide talkgroups and emergency management talkgroups.

I know this is a lot of info. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

freqs

wow freq's you have lots of patience. :).
No you guys have all the patience. I just got the RS Programming cable spent a hour and no luck getting it to work for my 96 or 106 ? Thought I would try software but I guess I go back to my old school ways .It turns out I need the help .LOL I do it to work for my Pro 2067 so I will keep trying lol

Last edited:

kd8ati

Feed Provider
No you guys have all the patience. I just got the RS Programming cable spent a hour and no luck getting it to work for my 96 or 106 ? Thought I would try software but I guess I go back to my old school ways .It turns out I need the help .LOL I do it to work for my Pro 2067 so I will keep trying lol

Umm if I remember correctly there are 2 versions of that cable for those scanners, a USB and a serial port. Which one do you have? If you have a serial cable, you might need to set the software to use the correct COM port. most software has a "test" button where it will try and find the correct one.

When you try and use it do you get any kind of error? If so what?

Status
Not open for further replies.