Need help as a newbie for EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
These questions might have been asked again here... But, 1st of all I can’t search all other 13K Q&A’s here and I want to have all my facts in one place. I’m interested in Emergency Services Public Safety monitoring.
Starting:
• I’m new to Scanners and Radios. I would like to learn everything about frequencies. VHF, UHF, 5-6 ghZ (?). What range Emergency Services use (statistically?). I know that that differs from place to place, but an average.
• What are Digital and what are Analog scanners?
• How agencies encrypt their Transmissions? It has to do with the frequencies they use? Equipment?
• What’s with Antennas? Do they only extend the Scanner’s range? Long? Short? Medium? Specific Height?
• What else do I need to learn?
Optional due to being very location-specific and idiotic Q. Any basic and good, but good (not necessary easy-to-use), starting scanner, under 100$

Sorry and thank you.

Hello!
These questions might have been asked again here... But, 1st of all I can’t search all other 13K Q&A’s here and I want to have all my facts in one place. I’m interested in Emergency Services Public Safety monitoring.
Starting:
• I’m new to Scanners and Radios. I would like to learn everything about frequencies. VHF, UHF, 5-6 ghZ (?). What range Emergency Services use (statistically?). I know that that differs from place to place, but an average.
• What are Digital and what are Analog scanners?
• How agencies encrypt their Transmissions? It has to do with the frequencies they use? Equipment?
• What’s with Antennas? Do they only extend the Scanner’s range? Long? Short? Medium? Specific Height?
• What else do I need to learn?
Optional due to being very location-specific and idiotic Q. Any basic and good, but good (not necessary easy-to-use), starting scanner, under 100$

Sorry and thank you.
Oh also, does that scanner’s frequencies change depending on the antenna’s range? Or does it have to be the radio compatible with the antenna’s range?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi and welcome to the Scanner Radio Hobby. I've answered many of these questions on my podcast, Scanner School

Let me quickly try and answer as many as I can now for you:

1 - You are correct, this will change from place to place. I see you are in Greece, but in the US, Public Safety is normally on VHF, UHF, and also the 700/800 band. You'll have to find out what part of the VHF/UHF spectrum they use in Greece.

2 - Analog scanners receive analog transmissions. Digital scanner will receive digitally modulated transmissions, such as P25, DMR, NXDN.

3 - Agencies will encrypted based on their hardware and protocol they are using.

4 - Antennas can extend a radio's range. Many antennas have gain built in but many don't. RF is very "line of sight" so the higher you can get your antenna the better your receive should be (in theory)

5 - What else can you learn? This is a huge hobby with many avenues to go down.

6 - A good starting scanner under $100 would be tough. I recommend the BC125AT, which is probably the UBC126AT where you are. It is in the $100 range but only does Analog. No trunking, no digital. You'll have to find out what is in use by you.

7 - Yes - coverage changes with frequencies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello!

The answers you get here will mostly refer to the US market, noticing the OP is from Greece.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also note that in many countries listening to the police, fire, etc. is illegal and can cause jail time and/or a hefty fine. In some countries, a ham license is required before this becomes legal. Be aware of Greece's rules in this regard, as I don't know whether this applies there or not.

Many times such services are using protocols and/or frequencies that a US distributed scanner can't hear. TETRA is very common in Europe and it's almost totally unmonitorable here. There is a SDR solution in the works but as I understand it, it's got a long way to go before it's ready for distribution

Miike

ScubaJungle

From quick search - scanners are no longer illegal, but listening to police is. So be careful and only do it at home if youre going to.
Also, it seems they use mostly TETRA, which you need an SDR to listen to

N8IAA

Regardless, there are no frequencies listed in RR for Greece, or Crete.

He's already asked in the European forum last December. He got no replies there, and probably won't get the correct info here, unless someone from his home country responds.

N8IAA

What's your point? It contains useful information that is still relevant - the law changed is 2012 and scanners are no longer illegal as they were before

Main reason is nowhere in that thread that points to frequencies for the mainland, or Crete. The only thing relevant is that scanners are no longer illegal.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Regardless, there are no frequencies listed in RR for Greece, or Crete.

He's already asked in the European forum last December. He got no replies there, and probably won't get the correct info here, unless someone from his home country responds.

First, why are you yelling?
Second, he's waited over 4 months for a response in that thread and didn't get one, I'd hardly consider that as cross posting and worth seeking a wider audience.
Third, no where in the OP does he ask for frequencies, he's trying to understand the difference between scanners and modes.

That said, most of the answers he seeks are in the Wiki or can be found using the forum's search feature, but his refusal to look ...
These questions might have been asked again here... But, 1st of all I can’t search all other 13K Q&A’s here and I want to have all my facts in one place.
...discourages me from wanting to take the time to respond.

Guys. Thank you all for your replies. 1st of all. IM NOT LOOKING FOR FREQUENCIES FOR THE HELLENIC POLICE OR EMERGENCY SERVICES.Thats illegal. My questions are solely for my knowledge and because in some years Im moving to the US. I know and have read all laws for my Country and the US (some states) for communications and monitoring and I know it’s not always legal. Especially in Greece.
Thank you for your time writing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.